Meat Quantities

I've been cooking too much, just curious to see where the common ground is. i'll have lots-o-space with the new cookers set up (going to be working off a BWS Gen 2 Party and Chubby soon).

Plan is to do 3 packs (18ish) thighs, and then a pack or two of boneless/skinless thighs for filler, 4-6 slabs, 4 butts (but will most likely cut that back to 2 hand picked ones), and one brisket. if you screw one of them up, you prolly screwed the 2nd too. And i'm not looking for the waygu stuff, i cook wet aged angus. doesn't taste like a $100 less...

one brisket. if you screw one of them up, you prolly screwed the 2nd too.
If you don't consistently turn out good brisket, that's possible. However, even with a reliable brisket process, if I taste two side-by-side I will often find that one stands out, just because brisket is a variable cut of meat. I like having that option.

A lot of you guys are only doing one brisket. Is this because you don't like to cook brisket or is it because you are confident in cranking out 1 good brisket?

I started to get some really good calls on brisket when I just concentrated on one, when I got 1st ~ 40 teams, I'm sticking with that thought, and I can afford a more expensive brisket when just buying one.

24 thighs (they come that way)
3 slabs of ribs (same reason)
2 butts, sometimes 4, if I didn't like the money muscle on the second butt in the cryovac.

12 thighs
3 racks of spares
2 butts
1 brisket

I cook these numbers because that is the quantity they are packaged in. Plus I still have a bunch of leftovers.

If you don't consistently turn out good brisket, that's possible. However, even with a reliable brisket process, if I taste two side-by-side I will often find that one stands out, just because brisket is a variable cut of meat. I like having that option.

Yup! couldn't agree more.

while were at it:

8 thighs
4 racks
4 butts (what the h3ll I got room n donate the rest)
2 flats

12-16 thighs. depends on how they look after trimming.
2 butts. both cooked to same temp for MM and chunks. they're usually not the exact same size so one is always more better(i know, rolleyes at grammar)for each application.
2 racks.
1 brisket.

simply can't process and test much more product with the time given. it'd lead to brain gridlock for me.

This post was not helpful :-D

I know, I know.

This is one of those recurring topics that must have a hundred threads already.

As far as the rule adjustments, it won't affect the quantities we cook. That is primarily determined by budget and cooker space.

12-18 thighs
3 racks baby backs
2 pork butts
2 packer briskets

That is unless I get stuck with the chicken trimming and then it might be a lot more cause I suck at trimming chicken.

We're about the same
Used to do 2 briskets, 2 butts, and six racks but have knocked that back to 3 racks and only 1 brisket. I regret it sometimes bit saves $$$

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Back