THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prior to firmware version 3.44, there was an issue going on last year w/ the WiFi module... timeouts/disconnects being it. MAK Grills really dialed things in with ver 3.44, and that has been noticed by every MAK Grills Mobile owner I have talked with over the past 6 months or so. It has been super stable. I would definitely encourage anyone that is not experiencing that to contact MAK.

If you do call in for support, Dennis is the one you’ll want to connect with :)

Thanks for the tip! I'll check my firmware tomorrow.

Man, I pulled the trigger on a 1 Star 8 days prior to this thread starting. Zero regrets. They still threw me some deals, including a new tool holder for the 1 Star that’s not on their site yet. Happy happy.

That's a sweet setup! I'll be looking for that tool holder too!

You probably thought I was smarter than that, right? I'll know for sure when I fire it up next time. Might explain why it worked for 6 hours yesterday. People showed up and I wasn't at the grill playing with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most of the things I share about the MAK Grills I have learned the hard way... don’t feel bad [emoji1306]

I need an ash brush. The brush I tried to use didn't work well at all. Definitely easier to clean out than my other pellet grills. Lots of ash though.

Buy a shop vac or ash vacuum. It only takes a few minutes to get up all of that ash with one.

I’ve never placed an aluminum pan in the grease drawer. Takes me 60 seconds to scrape it out with a putty knife, and then I just scrub the little bit of residue out with hot soapy water. Takes a total of maybe 3 mins, and it isn’t needed very often. Whatever works though :)

I don't use an aluminum pan either. Putty knife gets the job done quickly just like @rwalters said.

Buy a shop vac or ash vacuum. It only takes a few minutes to get up all of that ash with one.
I have both. I'm not sure what's easier until I get the right brush. I use the ash vac on the offset all the time. Seems like sweeping might work easier and vac every few months.

Yep, when using WiFi you must control the cooker via MAK Grills Mobile. If you touch the Pellet Boss controller, you’ll basically shut off the WiFi module.

The WiFi experience is the one area that I wish MAK would tighten up. When I bought mine a few years ago, instructions for installation of the WiFi module were sparse & disclosures like having to operate your MAK strictly via MAK Mobile when using WiFi was no place to be found. I can't remember if they mentioned in the instructions that you have to connect WiFi to 2.4GHz or not. I didn't find out about that until I called to ask for help to get it running.

The WiFi experience is the one area that I wish MAK would tighten up. When I bought mine a few years ago, instructions for installation of the WiFi module were sparse & disclosures like having to operate your MAK strictly via MAK Mobile when using WiFi was no place to be found. I can't remember if they mentioned in the instructions that you have to connect WiFi to 2.4GHz or not. I didn't find out about that until I called to ask for help to get it running.
NotesforthePelletBossopera/onoftheGrillinWi-Fimode:

!ThePelletbossissecondarytoMAKGrillsMobile[emoji769]whenusingWi-Fi/WebControl.Thereforenotall thescreenswillbepresentorac-veonthecontrollerduringWi-Fi/WebControlopera-on.

!Alarms,-mers,no-fica-onsetc.inMAKGrillsMobile[emoji769]willnotappearorsoundonthePelletBoss controlleratthegrill.

!Therearenouserprogramscreensor-mersavailableonthecontrollerwhileitisinWi-Fimode.

!Themeatprobescreenswilldisplayandyoucansetalarmsatthecontrollerbuttheywillnothaveany effectonMAKGrillsMobile[emoji769]alarmsortheotherwayaround.

!If you change Set Point temperature on the Pellet Boss it will disconnect the Wi-Fi/Web Control.

!IfyouwanttoreconnecttoMAKGrillsMobile[emoji769]simplyarrowtothewebcontrolscreenandselect “ON”,thenpushtheStarBuGontoaccept.

Can’t disagree with you, but I will say that the WiFi module is WAY better than it was a few years ago. It was pretty bad. As mentioned there were a couple of issues last year. MAK jumped on those and today it is rock solid. I hated it 4 years ago when I first tried it. That’s no longer the case at all :)

Happy Monday Brethren and Sistren! Well, all good things must come to an end. Official word from MAK Grills is that our “group buy deal” will be coming to a close at the end of business this Thursday, 3/12. That was strategically planned as MAK did not want to end it on Friday the 13th... lol. If you are currently sitting on the fence, now is the time to make your final decision on which side your gonna come down :)

Last edited:
WiFi, full upper grate, and cabinet door. Really looking forward to being able to cook as often as I used to with an almost 4 year old dude running around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid options! And I totally hear ya about wanting to cook outdoors more often. When that smoke gets rollin’ it’s highly therapeutic for us Brethren, especially for those of us that are parents of smaller ones. Every single time I fire up the MAK it puts a smile on my face... even if a little person is tantrum’ing... lol. In all seriousness though... to be able to easily produce fantastic wood-pellet fired meals on a regular basis has been a huge blessing for my family... and I am sure it will be for yours as well :)

WiFi, full upper grate, and cabinet door. Really looking forward to being able to cook as often as I used to with an almost 4 year old dude running around!

Congrats! He'll be helping dad sooner than you think. If you have wifi issues let me know. I can tell you exactly what NOT to do.

So, which of the 28 pages of this thread give the details of cost and delivery, etc?

Solid options! And I totally hear ya about wanting to cook outdoors more often. When that smoke gets rollin’ it’s highly therapeutic for us Brethren, especially for those of us that are parents of smaller ones. Every single time I fire up the MAK it puts a smile on my face... even if a little person is tantrum’ing... lol. In all seriousness though... to be able to easily produce fantastic wood-pellet fired meals on a regular basis has been a huge blessing for my family... and I am sure it will be for yours as well :)

Ya know - some people would call you an enabler. I'll call you a wealth of knowledge and someone that really loves the product you bought! I've enjoyed all the info you've volunteered about your MAK for the last few years - I've seen most of it. Not much time to do anything but read the forum for a while but hopefully that'll change with the MAK!

Back