Let's talk turkey.....what are you doing?

Since duck hunting opens tomorrow I pre-cooked the bird....one of these (yesterday's drop off orders)...so I can maximize duck time. Reheating is super easy. Regarding my technique....I'm simple and boring.....I thaw, rip open the package, pull out that bag of crap inside the bird, and into a 350 smoker (with oak) it goes.

Last edited:
I'm doing one of three turkeys (and a ham) at our house. It's a big group.

I have a 16lb bird, spatchcocked with salt and pepper under the skin, butter rubbed on the skin. In the UDS at 400 F with pecan smoke. Drip pan underneath for the gravy drippings.

Also responsible for one dessert - pecan pie cheesecake.

Both kids home from college - favorite day of the year!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Brining two 14 pounders. One goes in The Big Easy and one into the smoker. I will start the cook with an Espresso laced with Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream (great pre-party drink) and move on to BTAC Stagg while the birds are resting.

I'm brining for the first time a 13.5lb.Turkey in the 270. I'm also doing a turkey breast for a friend and will use the PBC. Picked this up BB&B, anyone ever use it.

Attachments

• IMG_5351.jpg
    IMG_5351.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 94
Going out of town to a friends this year. Friday i have a 14 lb. bird i will inject, spatchcock and throw in Betty (the Humphrey's). Maybe toss in whatever else i find in the big freezer.

I have 12 Turkey Legs that are in a brine, I am going to let that cure for 36 hours. Then I plan on a simple rub and letting them air dry over night for a good morning smoke on my stick burner!! Excited to see how they turn out. I love a good smoked Turkey Leg. I will post pictures of the process once I am all done.

Just me and the wife for a quiet peaceful day. Doing a small 6# turkey breast. It's enhanced so no brine. I plan to smoke at 300-350 with hickory and or cherry. I like it a little smokey and if the fire is clean and hot will the hickory be to strong? I have not decided for sure on a rub. I have Tony C, Cavenders Greek seasoning, Head country original, and a few other's as well as salt and pepper. Tomorrow I will decide :) Have a GREAT Thanksgiving everyone!

Just me and the wife for a quiet peaceful day. Doing a small 6# turkey breast. It's enhanced so no brine. I plan to smoke at 300-350 with hickory and or cherry. I like it a little smokey and if the fire is clean and hot will the hickory be to strong? I have not decided for sure on a rub. I have Tony C, Cavenders Greek seasoning, Head country original, and a few other's as well as salt and pepper. Tomorrow I will decide :) Have a GREAT Thanksgiving everyone!

Hickory is pretty strong on poultry IMO, but I guess it comes down to personal taste. Imagine a bird that tastes like smoked ham? At least, that's how the chickens that I've smoked with hickory in the past always came out.

I've since lightened the load on wood considerably when cooking poultry, and switched to apple or pecan.

One brined bird, one injected bird (both spatchcocked) and a 16 pound PRIME brisket.

Oak to start a good bed of coals and then switching between sugar maple and cherry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm brining for the first time a 13.5lb.Turkey in the 270. I'm also doing a turkey breast for a friend and will use the PBC. Picked this up BB&B, anyone ever use it.

YES......the World Market Turkey brine is OUTSTANDING!!!!!! After TK-Day they often blow-out their inventory for just $2.99 per bag; get as many as you can!

I'll add a bit of brown sugar and then some Bib Poppa's Desert Gold and/or Simply Marvelous Cherry to the brine. Go long, 4-5 days in the brine rotating every day. Rinse well, smoke to 160F and results are awesome!

Back