The Bird is the Word

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Sup All,

So due to my schedule Holiday cooking tends to suck for me. I decided to cook my bird early this year, eat the dark meat with mashed potatoes and corn this week and freeze the breasts till next week's thanksgiving. There's only us two old farts here so.

I put garlic herb butter under the skin and on the outside, but it didn't really spread that great. I also put a bottle of Tony Chacheres injection in the meat. I am gonna let it sit in the fridge till about 5m so 16 hours. I am then gonna rub it.. Probably be straight double pepper course grind cow cover from Kosmos but I' am toying with doing half the tony chacheres herb creole.

I saved the backbone for turkey noodle soup or stock should I smoke it some then vacuum freeze it? i won't be using it for a while. I threw the gizzards and neck out though I thought about tossing the neck for the outside cats. i didn't wanna make em sick with bacteria so I just chucked it. I have a feed i watch where they feed them to his serval.

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 230
  • bird 2.jpg
    bird 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 226
  • bird 3.jpg
    bird 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 227
meh

I thought with all that butter the skin should be a bit darker!!
Ed

Most of the butter went on the inside under the skin.. This was bought land o lakes herb butter so it wasn't really spreadable like my home-made compound butter I use for prime rib. I was trying the lazy way and it says to keep refrigerated so I was afraid to let it sit out too long. live and learn. We'll see i may just give up on the butter and splash some olive oil on the outside then use the rub.

This is going to be smoked on my masterbuilt 560 tonight Maylar.. Gonne run it at 225 for a few hours then crank it up to 375 or 400. I might pull off the quarters and do them as separate parts too.

rubbed up and in for the finally rest before smoking

Put on some olive oil then rubbed with double pepper course cow cover with a thin lay of kinders buttery poultry rub. back in the fridge for about 7 hours. Still drinking and will need a nap so probably a midnight cook. Oh, My rescue cat from Jan. Pepper says hello lol..

Attachments

• rub bird 1.jpg
    rub bird 1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 147
  • rub bird 2.jpg
    rub bird 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 148
  • rub bird cat.jpg
    rub bird cat.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 148
Been on bout hour and a half at 250 cookin fast gonna crank her up to 375. basted with chicken broth and melted butter.

Attachments

• cooking turkey 2.jpg
    cooking turkey 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 137
  • cookin turkey 1.jpg
    cookin turkey 1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 134
BAM!!!!! Freakin nailed this one lol... Turkey was super juicy and skin was good but it got eaten LOFL. Skins never as good reheated anyway so I usually munch chicken and turkey skin while I' am cutting the birds up. I hit it with some kpop foods honey glaze wing sauce about 15 mins before pulling. It's a tangy*Gochujang Chili glaze. It was a little spicey on my last bites lol. I separated*the thighs from the drumsticks later. Cook went pretty good.. Had a flare up at beginning lol I just call them deep cleanings. I started running outta fuel 3 hours in. The 42 degree weather and the flare up munched my fuel LOL. Just waiting for stuff to cool and i' am gonna vacum pack most of teh plate of breast meat and probably the thighs.

Attachments

• finished bird 1.jpg
    finished bird 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 123
  • finished bird 2.jpg
    finished bird 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 125
  • finished quarters.jpg
    finished quarters.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 123
  • finished slices 1.jpg
    finished slices 1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 122
  • finished slices 2.jpg
    finished slices 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 122
That's the color I was thinking of!!!!
Ed

Thanks yeah color was amazing.. I left the skin on the thighs and the legs. Stuff's a little SPICEY lol. That double pepper course ground cow cover is the bomb. Leaves me plenty of white meat for thanksgiving too. Not bad for a turkey at 430 am LOL

Attachments

• vacuum 1.jpg
    vacuum 1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 121
  • vacuum 2.jpg
    vacuum 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 120
Back