THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not necessarily. But the intent of posting of those particular videos seems odd. The 1st is titled "Competitor Gets Disqualified" but that is clearly not what happens in the video. The 2nd is titled "Tuffy Would Have Won", which, taken with the interviewer's comments that they should have accepted the entry, indicates he had a strong bias. What is funny here is that had he not been taping it, they probably would have accepted the box, so he basically shot himself in the foot. I guess my problem with them is, IMHO, that they were posted to show how the Mean Ol' KCBS stole a win away from someone he liked. It doesn't seem like he even considered the ramifications of catching what he did on tape, which was more significant, that a Rep gave an OK to accept a late entry.

Regardless, they are important in what they show.

sounds like sour grapes to me.

How about this thread be about what it should be about? Congratulating Serial Grillers on a great win. Mark and Moses cook their arses off and came in as Grand Champs.

Congratulations guys!

Big-time congrats to you too, Rick. You are on a roll, dude. You impressed the chit out of me when you came to WV solo and took Grand.

Got any room for a protege? :wink:

How about this thread be about what it should be about? Congratulating Serial Grillers on a great win. Mark and Moses cook their arses off and came in as Grand Champs.

Congratulations guys!

Ummm the thread is titled Lakeland Results. What happened certainly effected the results so I think we are within our rights to talk about it. It doesn't and shouldn't take anything away from Serial Grillers win, Congrats to them and all that walked.

Wouldn't the fact that the box went into the tray with the rest of the boxes be a key factor in the controversy? I don't know, just asking. Seems like it should have been held out separate from the rest.

Clock was down, box wasnt on the table, the rep and tuffy have an uncomfortable stare down before she says 'its okay' and takes the entry. Not much else to say about it except the rules weren't followed.

Whether or not the box was turned in on time is only a small part of the controversy. Ask anyone in law enforcement and they will tell you that every witness sees the same thing slightly if not largly in a different light. So for everyone that saw the video, there will be different interpretations of what they saw. I believe the change of mind and the indecision is the bigger point. Don't accept an entry and then 40 minutes later tell the team you changed your mind. Just my humble opinion.

I've worked a lot of KCBS turn in tables in the last couple of years. My understanding of the procedure as I've seen it is:

• When the clock hit 5, it goes face down and that's it, unless your entry is one the table when the clock flips or there is a line, then you point to the last person in the line and designate them as "the end" and someone goes and stands behind them.
  • If someone is late, you inform them of their DQ, get their box number and send them on their way. The box number is given to the table captain and the rep instructs the judges to give that box number all "1"'s in all categories then write "late entry" in the back of the score card with the box number. They end up with a score of "20" in that category.
  • If they don't show up at all or are DQ'd in the field, then they get zeros and are not listed on the results.
  • If they are late and they put the box on the table, then they are informed of their DQ, but the box is not returned once it hits the table. The box is set aside and the number given to the table captain and so on same as above. The box does not go in the table bread box.
I looked at the 2011 rules and the rep advisories and this all seems correct.

From watching the video my questions would be:

• Why was Tuffy given his box back after he put it on the table?
  • Why was he allowed to put it in the bread box instead of back on the table?
  • Why didn't wasn't he informed of the DQ on the spot?
  • Why wasn't he DAL on the brisket results with a score of 20 instead of not being listed at all?
I'd be curious to get Smoke n Da Eyez take on this since he got DQ'd at New Holland at the very last second and also find out if he was DQ'd on the spot.

Congratulations guys!

Hambones and Cool Smoke go down dere..It was just shot away...Congrats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether or not the box was turned in on time is only a small part of the controversy. Ask anyone in law enforcement and they will tell you that every witness sees the same thing slightly if not largly in a different light. So for everyone that saw the video, there will be different interpretations of what they saw. I believe the change of mind and the indecision is the bigger point. Don't accept an entry and then 40 minutes later tell the team you changed your mind. Just my humble opinion.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but what did you want to happen? Once it was 'discovered or determined' that the entry was late, did you still want them to score and count the entry? Is that better?

That is what I hate about this deal: No win situation for many involved.

This is from Tuffy posted on his Cool Smoke Facebook account

Well as probably everyone knows by now, we experienced our first DQ this weekend. It was a very long drive back to Virginia and I had ample time to beat up on myself. In retrospect, I would have not tweaked my brisket box at all, since I only needed 131 points to win. If I look at the bright side of things, I cooked new rib and pork recipes and they seem to have worked out, so that is good. I can now say from experience that being DQ’d is an awful thing to experience and I will always remember that day.

My first three turn ins went in without issue and my cook was going smooth. We had liked our food on Saturday, including our brisket, and were enjoying cooking bbq. While I may have to run for turn ins upon occasions , I don’t try to test the limits. I felt like I had began to build my brisket box on time and would be ok. My clock was 1 minute slower than the official clock and I was aware of that. We knew when we closed the box that it was going to be close and I ran my skinny butt off to turn in. Turn in area was a little tight, because of a narrow doorway and cooks exiting and this made for an interesting entry. When I placed my box on the table, I looked at Carolyn and then down at the clock which was still in her hand. I did not know if I had made it or not. I did know that this was the closest I have ever been and I never wanted to be this close again. I was told to place my box on the tray, which I did, and then the tray went to judging. I don’t know if I was DQ’d at that point or not. I believe that this event had happened so fast that everyone at that table was stunned. It may be easy to look at a video from the perspective of that camera and determine I was late, but I think from other perspective in the room it wasn’t so easy. I can truthfully say I had no idea. I suspect that Carolyn and the other gentleman at the table wanted to make sure that they made the right call. From looking at the video it looks close enough to be considered a tie, but I know I am biased.

Anyways, I ended up being disqualified for being late and it was tough. It was tough on my Dad, myself, and some my friends there. It was extremely tough on the reps there. I was doing an interview and my Dad called multiple times, which made me realize it was important. I took the call and went to my site to find Carolyn and Wayne there. My heart sunk and they looked very upset. It was a tough moment and no one was enjoying it. I went back and resumed my interview which was difficult.

We went to awards where we ended up being 4th in Chicken, 1st in Ribs, and 2nd in Pork which underscored how significant our late entry was. On a bright note, we witnessed our good friends Serial Grillers and Hambones by the Fire take GC and RGC. This was Serial Grillers first GC and I took some good pictures of them. Congrats again to you both and way to go on making Virginia proud.

The ladies of Lakeland did a fantastic job as always and this contest is great. The rep crew was great also and I am sorry that I created such a difficult situation!! I didn’t mean to be so close. I would like to say that this experience will help me to never get DQ’d again, but I am too superstitious to say that! Congrats again to Serial Grillers and Hambones by the Fire!!
Tuffy

Congrats to Virginia/Maryland

Good Lord...they single handidly are going to take all of the money out of Florida and double dip us into another recession.

Congrats to Serial Grillers & Hambones Again.

I got my DQ at my first KCBS contest; it was in ribs. I was cooking solo and going back to my site with box in hand is one of longest walks of my life. I wanted to fling my box across the pavement, but I did not. I had no one to blame, but me. The hard part is that I did not do another contest for two months, but, thankfully I redeemed myself at the next comp; oddly I placed in every category, but ribs, lol!

The strange part of the contest was that I did not finish DAL!:becky:

I think to bring this to a lighter note Tuffy is saying - boys I've got my BBQ dialed in, now I just have to beat that clock. If ya want to beat me ya better bring your A game. Which is what ( for me ) I have to do. After all if I do what I need to do to win then it does not matter what time he gets his box setting on the table. That just has not happened for me yet though but I'm trying :) Tuffy is 1st Class

Congrats to Cereal Grillers and Hambones by the Fire...you beat an extremely talented field. To Jimmy Brod...congrats...that Governors Cup was almost more important to us than GC itself would have been. When they called that you should have heard the terrible things I said about you inside my head:tsk:...another good showing at Lakeland, you may have to move from Sebring and call that home.

Tuffy had the best stuff this weekend...not in question. I was steaming at our camp upset about getting 3 calls and our chicken (we thought was great) get hammered and cost us a real shot at GC, when I saw Tuffy walk back to camp with his 3 trophies. The guy is a professional and even when congratulated by people who were unaware of his DQ at the time and continued to "thank" them all the way back to his site. As a competitor I know it ate at him each time he had to thank people, but he still did, without a single comment about how he was robbed or anything negative. The guy is a pro! He is a great guy and you don't have to know him to see that.

However, don't feel too bad for Tuffy for too long...he'll be in your neck of the woods very soon taking all of the prize money. The guy is a champion. After he gets to the Georgia border he'll probably start dog cussing a little bit, but he will be tearing it up again his next time out.

Cameras...they are good for this hobby/sport in my opinion. Look how many people are itching for results within minutes of award shows. If you don't want them in your camp, don't let them in. I feel they are a great way to let people see people that they are talking to each day on these forums. I had to watch the tape a few times. First to confirm that Dan (our turnin guy) did actually walk our box all the way with his Red Stripe gripped in his teeth. I guess that we still aren't ready for the box carrying case if that is how we turn a category in. Maybe he dropped one on our chicken...I'll go with that.

Second, to see the call heard round the bbq world. It's terrible and hard to watch...I felt like I had to minimize my window when my wife was in the room, like I was looking at something I shouldn't be. However, despite the effort (Tuffy stretching for the finish line and almost taking out the entire table) and how the decision was made...they didn't score the box as being "truly accepted". Justice prevailed, hearts were broken, weather was still perfect.

I thought my brother made a 3500 dollar mistake in Plant City by leaving his 5th and 6th rib connected, but Tuffy may have just topped the list. Not trying to pile on...just saying these things are happening all of the time and if not for that camera...we wouldn't have bbq gold to show Tuffy on our cell phones for years to come.

Sorry Tuffy...that's brutal, but I hope you would feel the same way. If nothing else, you will have a new KCBS rule named after you. You will be immortalized forever, like George Brett,

KCBS Rule 9.4.1.9: The Tuffy Exception
If a particpant lays a box in front of rep with the time being past acceptable time, it will be DQ'd. Participants puppy dog eyes and exhausted expressions shall not be viewed as cute. This is especially crucial for friends, grandparents, small children and drunks. They are all masters of their craft and do not negotiate with them...they all have been classically trained not to return to camp with a box.

As for the rep...it didn't look great and I'm sure she went around the corner and got a second opinion from another rep or similar and made the final call. I feel more sorry for her than anybody. She had to make that brutal call, she was not in thinking a participant is about to rhino (maybe gazelle) around the corner into this 8x8 room and tackle the table. Probably caught off guard as anybody would have been from watching the video.

The right team won this event. Cereal Grillers had the best score within all of the rules that we play by. No exceptions!

However, Whiskey Bent BBQ had the best food...the judges don't know what good chicken taste like...AGAIN!

Shake it off Tuffy and get out of Florida...with scores like the first three we don't want you down here anymore. Took all the prize money, trophies, beer and almost broke our turn-in facilities.:becky::becky::becky:

Must add smiley faces so that I don't get threats.

Thanks Brother...You can let me know this weekend all about those wonderful things you were thinking...heheh...You guys had a good show also... see you Friday...I'm cooking with Mike "Woodhouse" you know that will cause some bitchin...hehe

Back