THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeah we should wait and see while they handle the matter in executive session and nobody ever tells the membership what truly happened. Give me a break Bunny. I luv ya but you have to stop being an enabler for the secrecy police of the KCBS. If we don't talk and gripe about this stuff in public then nothing ever gets brought out into the open.

It was Carolyns call to make whether or not to accept that entry and she obviously decided to accept it. The video shows that as clear as day. It looks like she changed her mind later when she realized the video existed. When did KCBS implement Instant Replay I cant's find it in the rules anywhere ?

After watching the video, it was REALLY close. The clock was down and the DQ was warranted. I know it's painful for everyone involved (rep and cook). However, the right outcome prevailed. It was 1:35:01... which is late. It was a $2500-$3000 mistake.

Take it, or don't.

The issues involved are a lot bigger than Tuffy getting a DQ. The issue is a REP hesitantly giving the nod and OK for a late entry to be accepted. It was either within the window, or it wasn't.

KCBS is selling a service, to insure a contest is fair to all parties. That video, doesn't make that case.

After watching the video, it was REALLY close. The clock was down and the DQ was warranted. I know it's painful for everyone involved (rep and cook). However, the right outcome prevailed. It was 1:35:01... which is late. It was a $2500-$3000 mistake.

I don't think the video is that cut and dry. You don't see Tuffy Enter the room. Were there people blocking the door when he tried to enter ? If he was in the door at 1:35:00 is he in line and on time ? I think if he was dq'd on the spot it would have been warranted but he wasn't. It was the reps call. The rep accepted the entry. That is very clear. CYA is what it looks like to me. (that stands for Cover Your ass)

Take it, or don't.

bunny said:
Remember a box that is late is to be taken to the table and given "1's" because they also need the box number.

Jorge. Is Bunny stating something that is not true, or just something that you do not agree with? (Honest question)

I think we can all agree that none of us would want to make that call, regardless of who it was. It was that close. Instant replay close. And even then, we are each going to sit hear and cast our own interpretation and definition on things like "in line".

Only way to prevent that is not put yourself in that position.

No win.

:sick:

I have watched the video several times.

It is apparent that Tuffy was either late, or was denied a bunch of dollars with the call.!!!!
I can not tell which and will not speculate.

Here is what I do see.

Competetive BBQ has evolved into a game of seconds, inches, fractions of a point, and of "pushing the limits" on every rule in the books.
Lots of "BBQ Lawyers" looking for any loophole to exploit.
Just like NASCAR.

I can see "lines on the floor" with "stop action video" superimposed with the "atomic clock feed" to determine the time cutoff!
I can see Reps and Meat Inspectors needing a degree in "meat cuts" to evaluate the entries teams make.
I can see closed circuit TV in every site (and enclosed MH/trailer) to monitor teams compliance with the myriad of rules.

Is this where we are going???

I started in 2004 and it was fun then.
We had rules, and I think most folks played by them.
If not, there was not all that much on the line except pride.

Now we have marketing/sales of products, TOTY prize funds, Sam' and Rancher's prize funds, "Invitationals" of every sort which pay big bucks, and "who knows what" other financial incentives. Not to mention the bucks to be made if you can snag some "Grands" and give classes.

Nothing at all wrong with all of that---but we pay a price.

Scary.

TIM

There's a video posted to you tube of the brisket turnin. Link is on Basso's forum. He was a full second or 2 late.

Here is the video for those that haven't seen it. Tuffy comes in at about 3:00 into the video...

YouTube - Competitor get Disqualified for being Late

There is also a video of Tuffy being interviewed when he gets a call (from the rep?) telling him that he was DQ'd. Do reps have our cell phone numbers? I thought they walked over with bad news?

YouTube - Tuffy Stone would have won

First a big congratulations to Serial Griller and Hambones by the Fire, great job. And Tuffy nailing a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in any contest is huge, but in this field was incredible. I talked with him and he said it was a great brisket.

Bingo. My guess is had the turn in not been taped, we'd have a different GC.

YUP! You got it.

Yeah we should wait and see while they handle the matter in executive session and nobody ever tells the membership what truly happened. Give me a break Bunny. I luv ya but you have to stop being an enabler for the secrecy police of the KCBS. If we don't talk and gripe about this stuff in public then nothing ever gets brought out into the open.

It was Carolyns call to make whether or not to accept that entry and she obviously decided to accept it. The video shows that as clear as day. It looks like she changed her mind later when she realized the video existed. When did KCBS implement Instant Replay I cant's find it in the rules anywhere ?

Someone threw a red flag....instant replay kicked in....Wow that video made her look real bad.

Like my buddy LC says, "some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug"...I hate it for Tuffy...still, he had a helluva cook looked like!

I believe the call was from his dad. I don't think he's being interviewed at his site.

The call was his dad.
That's "Grog N Hogs" trailer. You can see Jeff in the black t-shirt a few times during the interview.

The guy that walks into the trailer during the interview is Rick Hamilton ("Hambones by the Fire", the guy that won Reserve).

The events that I saw and heard on the video were:
Comeon Tuffy
Times Up
Clock down
Box down
Please?
head shake
Take box
Oh Tuffy
Arrange box
Thank you Carolyn
In my neck of the woods, you walk back with the box, no matter what.
Not a way to start the New Year.

I have to agree about the video changing the ruling. It took a while for them to actually notify the team about the DQ. If that were the case, (DQ) it would have been 1's. No Box, No Score. That is what we are left with.

Steve, you have a point about griping inthe public. But me enabling the secrecy police of the KCBS?! Give me a break! ROTFLMAO!!

I understand it was Carolyn's call, but did we hear what she said and meant? I didn't and think most people are speculating. That's all I'm saying. We, as reps, are to accept the late entry just to have their number..take it to the table and tell them to score it "1's" across the board because it's late. I'm not defending anyone here, nor am I accusing. Just waiting for results.

Hey, and I love you, too. :-D

Signed,

Back