THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drbbq said:
In 2007 there will be about 275 traditional KCBS contests and maybe one contest for gassers. I think it's a little early to consider this anything but a novelty.

BTW, I think gassers should be legal in any KCBS contest.

If I load my Spice Wine up with sternos I can get the same result.
Will That Work?
I agree with Ray this is a shot in the dark.

smokincracker said:
If I load my Spice Wine up with sternos I can get the same result.
Will That Work?
I agree with Ray this is a shot in the dark.

Does the sterno have approve thermostat and shut off?

KCBS is smart to jump on this opportunity. As Phil has said, the different pits are like classes of cars in auto racing. The desire for an all gas contest is there. If KCBS doesn't sanction it, then someone else will. It can all be managed as it evolves. I think it is better for KCBS and its members to embrace the change and manage it rather than fight it.

This weekend a few of us competed in a non-sanctioned contest that was wood & charcoal only. No pellets, forced air, or controls allowed. It was a fun aspect to the contest. It was how the organizer wanted it, which was fine by me. Why WOULDN'T KCBS want to get in on these contests? They should! Carve it out as a special class of contest and find a place for it.

LP BBQ is BBQ as much as any other heat source (as long as smoke is applied) when it comes to the final product. In a blind taste test, I'm betting that most wouldn't know the difference between a pellet cooked brisket, gas/wood brisket, or charcoal/wood. Much of the discussion here is about process and not product (food). However, some have turned their nose at gas cooked food. Having cooked on a Southern Pride, Traegers, and several charcoal/wood smokers, I can say that there isn't a huge difference in product.

There are contests that don't cook the four KCBS categories. The World Pork Expo in Des Moines, IA is one of them. At that contest, you cook pork ribs, pork butt/shoulder, pork loin, and whole hog. It is obvious that the organizer (National Pork Board) isn't going to want chicken and brisket cooked at their contest. KCBS sanctions the contest. The Jack, Royal, and GAB all invite the GC to their contests. TOY points only count for the two KCBS categories: ribs & pork. This contest was one of the biggest contests for points that Rod Gray won last year, but didn't count towards his TOY standing. He knew that going in. Another long standing contest that ended a couple years ago was Lamb-B-Que in Kansas. It was an all Lamb contest that was KCBS sanctioned. The organizer required the categories of which, none were KCBS standards. So, KCBS has a history of expanding its circle of influence and yet whole hog or lamb have never been added to the KCBS standard meats or even added to TOY. I think the same will be true with gas and grilling contests.

Additional note on the World Pork Expo, at least a dozen teams each year don't cook a whole hog for various reasons. Most of the time it is available cooking space. Those teams are excluded from GC, RGC, and the payout for the top 5 overall.

As for the contest being a State Championship, that is up to the Governor of Iowa. A proclamation by the Governor of the state is what makes it a state championship. The Missouri State Fair is a state championship and not sanctioned by KCBS. The winner gets an invite to the GAB & Royal. (Not sure about the Jack draw.) Like Jim has said, the invitationals are up to the contests and not KCBS.

ADD on EDIT: I'm tired of the NASCAR analogy. It ain't going to happen people!

I think this is a great contest opportunity - my only question is....
Arlie - can you pull a string or too, and get me hooked up with a rental unit for the weekend? :twisted:

Rob McGee and I were just talking about those OH CTO's this weekend. I bet one or two of those would roll up really nice in the back of my toy hauler:icon_bigsmil

I also fall on the side of agreeing with the good Dr. - I think we should let every old hickory, and cookshack, etc, etc into all the events. If all the stickburners are right... and the Que is that much better -- then what is there to worry about, right? Let the market dictate.

I have used a stick burning KF, I have used WSMs with charcoal, and did 6 contests last season on an FEC-100. I think they all turn out great BBQ. I'd love to get my mits on an old hickory or southern pride -- and I'd love to play with a stumps gravity feed, and one of Jamie G's pits. Why can't we just have them all:cool:

Arlie - let me know if they have any contingencies for those of us that would need to rent a gasser.... Any Kan-Fo's/MoFos ready for a road trip if we can get some gassers??!!!

HoDeDo said:
I think this is a great contest opportunity - my only question is....
Arlie - can you pull a string or too, and get me hooked up with a rental unit for the weekend? :twisted:

Rob McGee and I were just talking about those OH CTO's this weekend. I bet one or two of those would roll up really nice in the back of my toy hauler:icon_bigsmil

I also fall on the side of agreeing with the good Dr. - I think we should let every old hickory, and cookshack, etc, etc into all the events. If all the stickburners are right... and the Que is that much better -- then what is there to worry about, right? Let the market dictate.

I have used a stick burning KF, I have used WSMs with charcoal, and did 6 contests last season on an FEC-100. I think they all turn out great BBQ. I'd love to get my mits on an old hickory or southern pride -- and I'd love to play with a stumps gravity feed, and one of Jamie G's pits. Why can't we just have them all:cool:

Arlie - let me know if they have any contingencies for those of us that would need to rent a gasser.... Any Kan-Fo's/MoFos ready for a road trip if we can get some gassers??!!!

Randy and I use a Southern Pride for Kooker's Kare that is owned by the Missouri Pork Producers. Andy, if you want to get a team together, I could see if Randy can get the Southern Pride for us. :rolleyes: Mmmmm... gas. :wink:

The NBBQA "Best of the Best" in Douglas, GA, offers use of any heat source. You just have to declare what you're cooking with...no other standards are set.

We took 2nd in the Invitational whole hog category cooking on a LP cooker. Took 9th in the Open with a stickburner -- BUT the cooker didn't make the difference...I overcooked the second hog!!

It's the cook, guys!! Not the cooker.

chad said:
The NBBQA "Best of the Best" in Douglas, GA, offers use of any heat source. You just have to declare what you're cooking with...no other standards are set.

We took 2nd in the Invitational whole hog category cooking on a LP cooker. Took 9th in the Open with a stickburner -- BUT the cooker didn't make the difference...I overcooked the second hog!!

It's the cook, guys!! Not the cooker.

Yep... Rod G. wins on pellet or his stick burner. No better proof in my mind!

Kirk said:
Mostly true. Throw in some cold wind and rain though and the type of cooker can be a real big deal.

True...but it already IS a big deal. Insulated cookers have an advantage in adverse conditions...we already "deal" with single skin cookers, insulated cookers, wood, charcoal, pellets, gravity feed, auger feed, rotisserie, etc., etc., etc.

The source of heat, at this juncture, is pretty limited in its impact.

Also, the current feeling is - things won't change much, if any, for most of the contests.

Two-plus years ago I thought it mattered...now, I'm not so sure. Now, for "tradition", yeah, it's an issue, but in the big scope of things it won't change a lot -- we'd see more Southern Pride and Old Hickory type cookers - maybe - we might see more homebuilt or "Lazy-Q" (tm) type cookers...but I don't see that any of this would hurt or "kill" competition bbq. Heck, competition is what's driving this whole issue...

We've beat to death the issue of ANY temperature controls...but, more and more Brethren are moving to FEC100's and the use of Gurus and other control elements...I think the issue is similar. All gas or electric gives is control -- and sleep -- not necessarily more than say, a FEC100. And, it throws another variable into the mix -- the need for power and gas...teams would have to be "up" on their requirements and what to do if the widget fails -- same with augers, jammed gravity feed...or wet wood, forgot the charcoal, etc.

Now, all that being said -- let's just cool our jets a bit and see how this all plays out...ranting in our forum, while good for frustration relief, may be getting the importance of this issue weighing in WAY out of proportion to the number of us that is would affect.

Just my opinion...your mileage will probably vary!!:-D

Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that if the cook is clueless, the cooker's not going to save him. I was just saying that one type can have advantages over another. Should this be a big concern? I don't know.
I can also see the point of guys like Guy who may have spent big bucks on cookers that fit a certain set of rules and then later see the possibility of the rules changing. I mean they might well have looked at a different cooker to begin with if they could forsee this change (even if the possibilty is remote at best). For me, I have about 600 bucks tied up in 3 WSM's and I don't think I could've gotten better stuff for the money so it's not a big issue.
Beyond that, who cares what anyone else is cooking on? Not me. If someone wants to use gas, sunlamps or cook on the exhaust manifold in their car, I say more power to 'em. If they can make better bbq than me by doing it that way, God bless 'em. I think my little cookers can hang with the best of them.

Thanks for all the comments across the United States. There were well over 300 posted comments on several forums about the LP Que contest. Most were happy and did see that this isnt replacing what they have been cooking for years but an opportunity for the interest of bbq to grow. The many teams that requested the entry forms for cooking have been emailed them and judging app are available on my site at www.arlieque.com. We are only taking 54 teams so if you are thinking of entering please email or call me to reserve a site!

Looks as if the teams list will include the who's who of BBQ including Quau, Clone, Trigg, Smoking Guns, Habitaul Smokers, Pig Pals, Checker Pig, Big Red and many more.

Thaanks,Arlie

Kirk said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that if the cook is clueless, the cooker's not going to save him. I was just saying that one type can have advantages over another. Should this be a big concern? I don't know.
I can also see the point of guys like Guy who may have spent big bucks on cookers that fit a certain set of rules and then later see the possibility of the rules changing. I mean they might well have looked at a different cooker to begin with if they could forsee this change (even if the possibilty is remote at best). For me, I have about 600 bucks tied up in 3 WSM's and I don't think I could've gotten better stuff for the money so it's not a big issue.
Beyond that, who cares what anyone else is cooking on? Not me. If someone wants to use gas, sunlamps or cook on the exhaust manifold in their car, I say more power to 'em. If they can make better bbq than me by doing it that way, God bless 'em. I think my little cookers can hang with the best of them.

Well said Kirk.

Is this still going on?

Shouldn't you all be getting ready for the Parboil-B-Q Championship or the Bar-B-Spam Contest?

Neil, you just reminded me of another reason why gassers should be allowed. Trash talkin'. If y'all need a lesson in it, go to some of the drag racing forums (big argument there being "rice or no rice"). Could be a lot of fun if it was done in good humor.

the trash talkin' is the best part. that should be a category in itself.

and just to clarify my earlier post... mebbe I should have wrote... "in my opinion"... because that was what I was saying. Just because I don't consider LP to be BBQ, doesn't meant that I think that these contests shouldn't be sanctioned by someone. There is a need, definitely.
More power to them.

reiterate my point... put the rules out there, whoever wants to play can play.

michelle

Back