L-P-Que Bbq Championship-$75,000.00

jminion said:
A contest that is being funded and supported by a pit company that uses LP would exclude other style of pits surprises you??

So would KCBS sanction a contest where only Big Green Eggs (insert your favorite cooker) were allowed?

I have no problem with adding LP units, I'm just not a big fan of a format that excludes folks who dont have the right kind of cooker.

jminion said:
A contest that is being funded and supported by a pit company that uses LP would exclude other style of pits surprises you?? They are excluded on a regular basis from competing and when they put up the money they have the right to do what they want.

Guy 1 contest out of 275 and your worried?

Jim

Jim,

Frankly yes! Every trend starts somewhere. I just don't understand why the KCBS would bend our precious rules and sanction a contest that excludes wood and charcoal. I don't mind gassers competing with us, but I am still not happy with this exclusion stuff and the KCBS selling out for money.

Last edited:
I heard the message...

what a coincidence about the money...well, I got the message and I am appalled and disgusted but not surprised. Can't wait to find out what qualifies someone as a master or whatever they are calling this bogus thing...

G$ said:
So, the FIRST "LP based cooker" KCBS contest is also the "largest prize package ever presented in KCBS history at a single contest."

Say what you will, this sends a message.

I dont get the contest. Why do they need the KCBS? They are offering a great amount of money and prizes. They have really not used KCBS rules other than the meat catogories. Why not just have a non sanctioned contest? Sorry one more question for Jim or Arlie or who ever. Does it count for TOTY points?

No it is not in the Masters Series. Hope you all would slow down and understand the rules and that this isnt any different than you guys having all the grilling contests that are sanctioned in your area. Who are they sanctioned by?

Guy
What I have come to realize is most don't understand what a sanction body is. KCBS is a service that supplies Reps, a process and scoring program for contests.

If we are going to sanction contests that exculed LP and electric why is it a stretch to think that with all the tools in place we can not sanction other styles of contests. If there is a need we are in a position to fill it, we make $12 a team at a contest and out of that comes the costs of supplies so it's not about the money for one contest. It is about the market place.

If someone want to hold a deep frying contest we could sanction it, if someone wanted a all offset contest we can sanction it, BGE, Stumps it would not matter. KCBS sanctions cooking contests, that is the case and the BOD saw a need and the ability to fill it. It doesn't change 99.9% of the contests we sanction.

BTW when creating the Competitor division there was no one on the Board that thought it was a bad idea, we all could see the need. KCBS is a business that needs to grow or someone else will come in and fill the need.

SP
The basic rules can be adapted to cover the needs of the organizer and the food is judged on the same Apearance,Taste and texture.

Unless the jack Daniels or Royal decide to change their qualifications the contest will not be considered for entry.

Paola Greg said:
Jim, I guess my question is, is why we didn't read about this process being in place over a year ago in the minutes of the bod meetings when it took effect? And, if KCBS is in fact intending on supporting, or sanctioning, the contest, will new rules for the 'competitor' class be published before the contest takes place?

Mostly, I just think it was somewhat awkward the way the new KCBS divisions of competitor and masters were announced by a contest promoter rather than the board.

Greg
This the first contest and the rules will be adapted as needed to fit the needs of the contest. There can be other styles than this one and their rules will reflect their needs.

It would make no difference when it was announced the outcry would be the same that I'm sure of it. I remember well when the judging process was changed. BBQ was going to die if you listen to the forums. I see no difference here.

Wow, This sure makes for some very interesting reading.

My thoughts here are that on the bright side of things......There allowing people who have never owned anything but a gasser a chance to compete against the solid fuel smokers. Is this a bad thing? I dont think so. If the gasser folks enjoy the contest then they move up to a solid fuel unit.
Heck wasnt their some negative feedback when they started allowing pellet poopers into sanctioned contests as well?
As I understand things being discussed here there are still two KCBS sanctioned divisions.

Now....no way in hell am slamming or defending anybody who owns solid fueled smokers. I as well as the rest of you have way too much money invested in my Klose offsets.

Another point. No different than introducing Kids Q into contests. Just a different slant on things. Ive never attended a Kids Q but I would thoroughly enjoy watching them cook for sure.

Going to my room now.

Mike

arlieque said:
.....this isnt any different than you guys having all the grilling contests

yeah, it kinda is... a LOT different... those grilling contests still require wood or charcoal. Plus, they are not called BBQ competitions. Because they aren't.

That being said,
If KCBS wants this business then they do have to step up or else someone else will grab it (there is money to be made-from a business standpoint). It seems that there is a need - propane users are probably competitive too, so sure, 1 out of 200+, go ahead, but I kinda wish they wouldn't call it BBQ. because it isn't.

Hey, maybe everyone is just bummed that they can't go with their own, non-LP, pit of choice, that there's a LOT of money, but I wonder if I'll go with my Weber Genesis and get me some of that...
(to fund my BBQ hobby)

What I do know is that I couldn't cook all four categories on the gasser I have, and it is one of the big ones. SO, go out and buy a couple more? That, again, is up to the individual. A lot of people have more than one cooker.

It's really all about who's game it is and what they made for rules. You still don't have to play if you don't want to...

michelle

jminion said:
Guy
What I have come to realize is most don't understand what a sanction body is. KCBS is a service that supplies Reps, a process and scoring program for contests.

If we are going to sanction contests that exculed LP and electric why is it a stretch to think that with all the tools in place we can not sanction other styles of contests. If there is a need we are in a position to fill it, we make $12 a team at a contest and out of that comes the costs of supplies so it's not about the money for one contest. It is about the market place.

If someone want to hold a deep frying contest we could sanction it, if someone wanted a all offset contest we can sanction it, BGE, Stumps it would not matter. KCBS sanctions cooking contests, that is the case and the BOD saw a need and the ability to fill it. It doesn't change 99.9% of the contests we sanction.

BTW when creating the Competitor division there was no one on the Board that thought it was a bad idea, we all could see the need. KCBS is a business that needs to grow or someone else will come in and fill the need.

Jim - Once again Jim, I totally respect your take and thank you personally for you taking the wrath for the entire KCBS board of those of us frustrated by moves like this but I have to disagree... This will be my last post in this thread as I don't want to beat a dead horse any further.

1) I think many understand what KCBS is. KCBS is not a service as you say, it is supposed to be BBQ society.. Part of that society is to sponsor specifically BBQ contests not any other kind of contest..

2) KCBS certainly has the tools to sanction any type of competitive cooking contest...even snail or squid boiling contests, maybe that there is a market for that to, but it certainly doesn't live up to it's goal of making Barbeque, America's cusine as the KCBS goal clearly states (or at least as it currently states). Any in my opinion any action an organization takes at a macro or micro level should be to assist in reaching a goal..

3) I also disagree with your point that it would make no difference when an annoucement was made as you feel the outcry would be the same. While it might not make a ton of difference, IMO it would make some difference and some difference is always better than none. Communication from the top down is one of the most essential tools of leadership. Good leadership makes people want to follow the leaderships decisions.. Lack of communication from leadership causes rifts in the chain.

I sent an e-mail to the Bullsheet e-mail address requesting that KCBS include a monthly feature from the BOD or KCBS president providing updates on initiatives and reasons behind them. KCBS will surely catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Last edited:
Michelle,

No it is not any different at all! It is about sanctioning a different style of cookoff, period. It is also BBQ, have you ever been in a bbq joint that used a lp smoker? Of course it is not as good as yours or any other teams but then no ones is, right? Ha Ha

Vinny, unless I'm mistaken the new class/series or whatever it is referred to was mentioned in the December Bullsheet.

jminion said:
Guy,

Jim,

I really appreciate your explanations. They really make sense. I hope you will answer one last question from this thickheaded Polock. My question is, if what you say is correct why do we have a set of rules that says you must cook with wood or charcoal? I would think the KCBS would want to change the rules before they sanction a contest like that.

What dont you get about KCBS having two different series. You have been cooking the Master series for well over a year. Now someone has stepped up and ask to be sanctioned in the Competitors Series and was, what is so hard to understand? I just dont get it but I still drive 55 in the 70 zone!! LOL!

Last edited:
jminion said:
It would make no difference when it was announced the outcry would be the same that I'm sure of it.

That might be the most outrageous statement I have read in this thread.

Do you really believe that when a sensitive subject is brought forward it makes no difference in who or when it is announced? What do you think would happen if the MGM Grand announced on their website they are holding a basketball game sanctioned by the NBA that allows 7 people per team without any statements or prior notice from the NBA? That is not much different from what the KCBS has done.

There have been many good points of contention brought up by this thread. I for one am not that big of a competitor that I am worried about the issue as a whole. I can see that the LP grills being sold represent a large part of the market and it makes very good business sense to begin to get them involved. The prize money offered is proof of that.

I understand that many teams have spent a good deal of money on equipment but what is wrong with having more than one class? It sure has worked well for NASCAR, MLB, NHRA and the Grammy's. The grilling competitions that many contests have been brought up a couple of times. Here they are sanctioned by NEBS, if diversity is truly the reason then why not make these KCBS contests too? We know the answer to that......money. I dont think that gassers should be allowed to compete in the same BBQ class as the rest of us. Like I said I dont find much of a challenge in a set and forget gas thermostat. Grilling, however I think may be more of a level playing field regardless of fuel type (my opinion only). Whats wrong with slowly integrating the gassers in via the grilling comp you are so fond of singling out? I am willing to bet a whole bunch of money that more people grill with gas that que, wouldn't that reach the masses more efficiently?

The major problem that I see here is a lack of leadership on the part of the BOD that made these changes and choices. If you have the courage and foresight to move the organization into what you think is the future, then by alll means stand up and say so. Announcing a radical change in procedures any other way then by a official statement from the governing body is not an effective means of leading.
Jim, my hat is off to you for taking all of the heat and for being active in discussing this flammable subject.

Last edited:
jminion said:
Greg

It would make no difference when it was announced the outcry would be the same that I'm sure of it. I remember well when the judging process was changed. BBQ was going to die if you listen to the forums. I see no difference here.
Jim, I went back and read the December BullSheet, and see the new divisions have been previously formally announced. I appologize for thinking they hadn't.

From the Oct 2006 Board minutes published in the Dec. BullSheet;

Quote; Rod Gray reported for the Research and Development committee. It was reported that the committee was close to finalizing a draft of rules for sanctioning other types of events - specifically grilling events. Rod reported that a first draft should be presented in the November meeting pending final approval by the committee. Don Harwell motioned that the contest divisions of Master Series for the traditional four category contests, and Competitor Series for all other non-traditional type events, be adopted as previously discussed. The motion was seconded by Rod Gray and passed unanimously. Unquote

clarification of classes please

OK, who/what constitutes a Master? A Competitor? What are we?
thanks
nancee
ps maybe it is partially the terminology that sent people off...it it a little demeaning sounding

arlieque said:
What dont you get about KCBS having two different series. You have been cooking the Master series for well over a year. Now someone has stepped up and ask to be sanctioned in the Competitors Series and was, what is so hard to understand? I just dont get it but I still drive 55 in the 70 zone!! LOL!

jminion said:
KCBS is a business that needs to grow or someone else will come in and fill the need.

You know the KCBS alot better than I do but maybe its time to ubdate the website.

KCBS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to "promoting barbeque and having fun while doing so." KCBS website.

Back