Kosher Salt Shortage?

Morton Kosher salt is available here in central Florida. Both Publix and Walmart have the 1 lb and 3 lb packages on the shelf.

I've never found Diamond Crystal around here, have to get it from Amazon.

Difference?

Interesting thread.

I'd never really seen any other Kosher salt besides Morton's.

I'd never heard of the Diamond Crystal version....and I see a number of people that seem to swear by it.

As far as I'd known, NaCl is NaCl....and the main thing about Kosher salt is that is it a bit larger crystal that table salt.

So, those of you that say you prefer Crystal to Morton's Kosher salt.....why?

What's the perceived difference?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

I've never seen Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt and have never ordered it.ive used mostly Morton KS up until last couple years when 4ever3 posted up about Redmond. Now I use both. Not so much a perceived difference in taste as a dramatic difference in source

Interesting thread.

I'd never really seen any other Kosher salt besides Morton's.

I'd never heard of the Diamond Crystal version....and I see a number of people that seem to swear by it.

As far as I'd known, NaCl is NaCl....and the main thing about Kosher salt is that is it a bit larger crystal that table salt.

So, those of you that say you prefer Crystal to Morton's Kosher salt.....why?

What's the perceived difference?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

By volume Mortons is much heavier than Diamond. Interchanging the two can drastically change how salty the end product is. I like the Diamond for dry brine meats, it's easier for me to put a good coat without overdoing it. Otherwise I'm used to using Mortons and pretty much stick to it.

I prefer Diamond Crystal because Morton's adds Yellow Prussiate as an anti-caking agent. Good or bad, inconclusive, but is it really needed?

I prefer Diamond Crystal because Morton's adds Yellow Prussiate as an anti-caking agent. Good or bad, inconclusive, but is it really needed?

+1

Love Diamond Crystal and what I use when it comes to KS. And Diamond Crystal never caked on me.

looks like I have to step up my salt game.

maybe some real-salt and Eric's Celtics salt.
Tried celtic salt couple decades ago. Made me realize how bitter and metallic table salt tasted. Celtic has a very mild flavor.

Being in the Chicago area, I've never seen, nor do I ever expect to see Diamond Crystal here. Chicago is the headquarters for Morton salt.

Back