Cured Beef Belly

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Started a batch of beef bacon today with 4.7 lbs of beef belly from Porter Road.

Ingredients - Kosher salt, brown sugar, granulated garlic, granulated onion, smoked paprika, ground fennel, ground bay leaf, and cure#1

53461190467_d3108a048c_o.jpg

Vacuum-packed and in the chill chest for roughly two weeks, ay which point it will be cold smoked.

53462525450_17eebfd301_o.jpg

Never had beef belly. Why is it not whole though? Did you slice it like that, or did it come that way?

I store them up "party size" too. Enough for a good charcuterie tray, or one weekend worth at a time. Also if you're dehydrating - it goes faster due to more surface area. Same with smoke - greater surface area.

Never had it, no idea how its best served. I just know i like very thin sliced pork belly bacon, so its best to keep it whole as to not have much waste slicing. I use the end piece for Carbonara.

Beef bacon is amazing. Used a lot in Muslim areas. Truly not a poor mans pork bacon.

Where do you guys get your beef belly/ navel?
I would love to make pastrami out of it like they did awhile back.

Beef bacon is amazing. Used a lot in Muslim areas. Truly not a poor mans pork bacon.

I work in a Muslim area for a month at a time and I sure do miss good ole pork bacon!!!! Sometimes we do get beef bacon and I will say it’s not bad but can’t beat pork! Although I must say will definitely have to give making some a go

Where do you guys get your beef belly/ navel?
I would love to make pastrami out of it like they did awhile back.

Not sure where you could buy some. I raise my own beef so I have the processor cut me a slab of navel. But I have to sacrifice some plate ribs (dino ribs) for it. Can't have everything.

Back