Kosher Salt Shortage?

I’ve not noticed either. Did a search on in stock products at the store, it’s in stock.

I dunno about a shortage, but the last few boxes of mortons has been really fine. And store brand ( Giant ) looked more like coarse sea salt even though it was a box of Kosher salt.

Here in Tallahassee, FL kosher salt is almost impossible to find. At least Morton's at the Publix store chain. So I feel your pain.

Diamond Crystal, which I prefer, is still available from Amazon, pricey though. I normally get it from Costco.

It was pre Covid, but diamond crystal salt just disappeared for the stores. You Can find it on Amazon at almost triple the old price. Lucky I closed the restaurant and only use it at home. I like the flake structure of diamond. So I just pay the three pack price from Amazon.

They seem to have plenty any time I'm shopping for it in the New Orleans area.

Perhaps the perceived shortage is regional?

Where about do you live?

cayenne

I also bought the 3-pack of Diamond on Amazon. Expensive for sure, but it still relatively low cost and I like the way it pinches together enough to prefer it over Mortons and pay the difference.

I haven't had any issues in my area but i saw a few posts from bbq joints in texas that they were having issues getting kosher salt.

I dunno about a shortage, but the last few boxes of mortons has been really fine. And store brand ( Giant ) looked more like coarse sea salt even though it was a box of Kosher salt.

The last box i got was really coarse and not nearly as consistent as Mortons has been in the past.

Weird. Drug Emporium had it, but probably least I've seen on shelves in a while. I'm wondering if it's a packaging shortage versus product scarcity?

Regardless, I'm good for while

Last edited:
Came here to throw in my usual 2 cents on salt. Never table salt. Kosher is only for pasta and potato water.

After looking it up, now pissed my long time favorite big bag salt is out of stock. Good thing I still have a couple years worth stored.

Light Grey Celtic ® (22 lb)

You can still buy celtic on Amazon but they charge up the azz.

I used to buy my salt from Salt Works https://seasalt.com. Used to be pretty cheap before the rona, now most of the salts they had are always out of stock and what is in stock has tripled in price.

My favorite from there is the Pacific Blue Mini Flake. With free shipping right now (under 15 lbs) it's reasonably priced ($2.47/lb vs. the $2/lb I pay for Diamond Crystal Kosher).

Back