THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love you, John, and I love Klose pits too:

truck%20and%20pit%20airport.jpg

But, his site is pushing the younger, more internet savy, crowd away.

I don't think it's too harsh. Klose makes PLENTY of money selling his pits, and they are well worth it.

I know he's not a web designer, but c'mon. Sometimes it's hard to take him seriously or as a professional pit maker with this site.

Spend $100, and have a high schooler clean it up. :p

I think what some are trying to say is show some respect to the guy and not criticize him on a public forum that he sometimes visits. Would you want that done to you? Or would you rather have someone that was dissatisfied about something regarding your business to pickup a phone and call you directly? There are people on this site that would gladly provide you a number to him via PM.

I think what some are trying to say is show some respect to the guy and not criticize him on a public forum that he sometimes visits. Would you want that done to you? Or would you rather have someone that was dissatisfied about something regarding your business to pickup a phone and call you directly? There are people on this site that would gladly provide you a number to him via PM.

I see your point Bama, but another way to look at it is a lot of us are trying to help him out. Everyone here has tremendous respect for Klose pits. He's ALWAYS listed in the top 5 pit makers.

However, I'd hate to see him slip down that list, and maybe (probably) lose business and fame because of silly things like not having a reasonable site, or an accessible web presence.

If someone you knew owned a restaurant, and cooked the best food you've ever tasted, but the place looked run down and dirty, wouldn't you try to suggest he clean the place up?

I see your point Bama, but another way to look at it is a lot of us are trying to help him out. Everyone here has tremendous respect for Klose pits. He's ALWAYS listed in the top 5 pit makers.

However, I'd hate to see him slip down that list, and maybe (probably) lose business and fame because of silly things like not having a reasonable site, or an accessible web presence.

If someone you knew owned a restaurant, and cooked the best food you've ever tasted, but the place looked run down and dirty, wouldn't you try to suggest he clean the place up?

Helping him out would be telling him. Or in your example above telling the restaurant owner directly. Not getting on an internet message board and posting it for thousands to see. It's like a business card I saw that said "If you like the service tell others. If you don't tell us."

Helping him out would be telling him. Or in your example above telling the restaurant owner directly. Not getting on an internet message board and posting it for thousands to see. It's like a business card I saw that said "If you like the service tell others. If you don't tell us."

I agree. My mistake. Lesson learned. My apologies. Can we get a MOD to remove this entire post from the forum please?
Thanks.

I agree. My mistake. Lesson learned. My apologies. Can we get a MOD to remove this entire post from the forum please?
Thanks.

You better be glad the cat of nine tails and public flogging wasn't administered. :thumb:

You're forgiven snyper, I've made the same mistake in the past and after I posted it realized I shouldn't have. Your "Brethren Badge" is still intact. :clap2:

I havent read this entire post but I have a Klose and I spent all of 10-20 min on the site but when it came to buying a smoker I personally talked with Dave and I mean talked for over 20- 30 mins the first time and about the same the second time when I ordered my smoker. He is without a doubt a personable guy and is more than willing to chew the fat with you. I had a question about the smoker after owning it for over a year and it was like when I first talked with him. He's just a nice guy. So if his web page is a little funky so be it, the page was not what sold me not by a long shot.

i LOVE his site..i must..i look at it at least once a week droolin over his pits..i talked to him once on the phone..i was on crown n coke #2 when i called..45 min. n 3 C-n-C's later we had solved all the worlds problems..talked about his pits maybe 10 min.guns,huntin,atvs and whiskey the rest of the time..he is a hoot 2 say the least..he needs his own reality show..swamp people wouldnt have a chance!!! one cool dude in my book..CHEERS DAVE:thumb:

What's up with this MESS? I can't navigate it, the colors hurt my eyes, and some links say "In stock now 8/6/2010". If someone knows Mr. Klose personally, please advise him to spend $2500 and get a really nice site. Heck, someone would build him a top notch site in trade for a smoker!
http://www.bbqpits.com/

I saw this post the other day, and was hoping it would just go away. I think this is one of those post that happens when someone types before they truly think what they are typing, and left the "tact" part of their mind elsewhere for the moment. Just because a forum offers a level of anonymity, does not mean one should just go off on a semi rant(agreeably a mild one) about a quality US craftsman who at times frequents the boards personally. My thoughts to a forum post is that I post in such a manner that would resemble how I would deal with someone in person. I would never start a conversation with someone that begins with, What's up with this MESS? Don't know, maybe some folks would.. but I would not.

I have read some of your follow up posts on this thread, and it is obvious you meant no foul and are actually humble. But still.. hope you learned to be a little more considerate, and understand the forum culture here a little better before you post something else you are not happy or in disagreement about.

With the above stated, you are still a newish member, and I hope to learn more about your food and cooking!

Thanks for reading.

I don't know about the rest of you, but thanks to this thread I now want one of his smokers..... maybe for my birthday next year. *sigh*:rolleyes:
i hear ya..if i was lucky enough to have a klose pit as a gift,it would be my birthday,valentine,easter and christmas gift all in one :clap2:..back 2 his website though,i use the chris lilly shoulder injection recipe that i got from said site til this very day..one day i WILL have one of his pits,until then i'll just gawk at em online..:-D

This is bbqbull speaking as a proud subscription paying member here and not as a moderator.
I purchased 2 Klose pits, on very small backyard model and a 30# diameter tube by 8 ft. long with the upright. Mr. Klose personaly delivered both pits personaly.
He is a hard working brilliant bbq engineer IMHO.
I had the privalige of Dave Klose spending 3 nights and 5 days with me here at my house.
You can hammer his website all you wish but he is an extremely hard working individual and you will not break his spirit.
Trust me on this one.
If you must keep hammering his website I suggest you either pony up and call the factory or burn you man cards.
Thank's for listening.

I love Klose pits. I do not like his website. Is that a problem? This thread is full of false equivalencies and emotion. One way to look at it is we are trying to tear him down. The other way to look at it is we are trying to help his business out. Why anyone would assume the latter is beyond me.

Last edited:
In my opinion if a person was serious about bbq and knew what he wanted in a smoker the web site shouldn't make a lot of difference

I don't think Mr. Klose needs anybody to protect him and possibly alienate potential customers in the process. The reputation of his pits is beyond reproach and speaks for itself.

This thread got me focused on Klose and the website got me wanting one of those magnificent machines! Any publicity is good publicity.

Must be the heat. People just need something to argue about. I'm sure Dave gets enough business and his site is sufficient for what "He" wants. But if you guys want to keep flaming him for his choice, then it's the same as a pesonally attacking him as a member on this site. It's one thing to say it's awkward or whatever, but to keep hashing it, is pointless. Call him and offer your advice, or drop it.

Back