THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

scottyd

Walmart has twin pack kingsford charcoal for $8.37 in Mitchell South Dakota.

Yes it is sure fire. I bought 2 pallets anyway. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Bigmista said:
Score! Good deal! Even if it is sure fire.

What's the verdict on the Sure Fire charcoal? I haven't had to buy it yet (still a 2 pack of the 'old' stuff from Costco), but I'm getting down to the end of my last bag and will need to get some charcoal soon. I've seen about 1/2 and 1/2 in other threads with like/hate. What's the skinny on this stuff? Stick with the K or should I look for another heat source? Incidentallly, I use about 80% wood - especially in the summer when the temps are easier to keep up.

Thanks!

Jason

If you really want to save money try using real wood. I can go to Academy and buy a bag for $10. I use the charcoal to start the firebed then go to wood. I used to go through 3 bags of charcoal to do an all day cook and now I only use about 1/4 bag of wood. That's only about $2.50 in fuel for an all day cook. The results of the meat are a lot better too using wood then charcoal.
The last time I used my webber grill I did two chickens. I used half a starter full of charcoal as a firebed and only 1 pecan and 1 hickory log for the 2 1/2hours it took to cook. It's worth looking into using real wood.

Back