Kingsford rethinks startegy on charcoal price hikes

Charny

Knows what a fatty is.
I was just doing some searches to make sure I hadn't missed any charcoal sale options when this story came up on charcoal pricing. It is nice to see other retailers pushing back against Kingsford attempts to raise industry prices - especially when we keep reading that price increases are often going beyond inflation and into gouging. I hope this is sufficently on-topic, since it is equipment.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/...coal-ahead-summer-grilling-season-2023-05-02/

Kingsford rethinks strategy on charcoal ahead of summer grilling season

By Jessica DiNapoli
May 2, 2023

NEW YORK, May 2 (Reuters) - Clorox Co (CLX.N) is revamping its sales plans for its Kingsford grilling briquettes and pellets, staples at summer barbecues across the United States, after hiking prices and losing market share to competitors, an executive told Reuters on Tuesday.

The Oakland, California-based company bumped up prices on Kingsford charcoal in December along with other products it makes ranging from bleach to natural cosmetics, Chief Financial Officer Kevin Jacobsen said.

But its competitors in grilling, including store brands, did not follow suit, making Kingsford far more expensive than similar products ahead of major summer cookout occasions including the Memorial Day and Independence Day U.S. holidays.

For example, an 8-pound bag of Kingsford Original Charcoal briquettes costs $7.92 on Walmart Inc's (WMT.N) website, while a 16-pound bag of the retailer's Expert Grill briquettes costs $7.88.

"You don't get it right in every country, every category," Jacobsen said. "We're going back and making some adjustments."

The misstep means Clorox's team focused on the brand is revising its marketing plans, Jacobsen said.

"We have to invest some more money here," he added, saying Clorox would work with retailers to better feature the product in stores in hopes it will boost sales despite the steep prices.

Half of Kingsford's sales come in the three months ended June 30, Jacobsen said, adding that Clorox's financial results that quarter could be hit if the brand does not perform.

"(Kingsford) did not deliver what we expected," Jacobsen said, referring to its sales in the three months ended March 31. "What we’re seeing is increased competitive activity early in the season in the grilling category."

Clorox's competitors in its other categories closely followed the price hikes it announced in December, Jacobsen said.

U.S. consumers have been accepting double-digit price increases on everyday basics although some major manufacturers, including Clorox, have seen their sales volumes fall.

I've been buying the Walmart Expert Grill lump and briquettes for awhile now. Not the best but it's made here in the US and gets the job done. For the price I have no complaints.

If that article doesn't represent corporate greed at its finest, then I don't know what does. They don't even mention higher costs on the manufacturing side, just higher pricing. And their solution is to work with retailers for more prominent placing of their product?

Not sure they could make it cheap enough for me to give it pause.

Tried a bag long ago, one and done.

Not a Kingsford guy, don't care what they charge. My dad used it back in the day, you know, somewhere last mid-century.

Our local Kroger has Royal Oak briquettes on sale for $5.99/14 lb bag. Apparently, the warehouse had too much and they had to get rid of it. I loaded up.

I buy whatever is cheapest and can never tell much of a difference when I buy the Walmart or Kroger brand compared to Kingsford and others. Im of the mindset that most charcoal is coming from the same handful of factories anyways.

I had an electrician buddy doing some work in a Nestle Plant where they make cookie dough. Cookie dough coming off the conveyor belt. Half the cookies go in a Nestle bag and the other half in a Kroger bag. No reason charcoal would be any different.

Back