Kcbs

Yikes. Shorted $27,125.

A lot of new faces on the next board. What would it take to get them to revisit this issue? I think fairness demands it.

Corrective action taken

KCBS said:
The KCBS Board of Directors has realized the mistake it made by modifying the 2017 Team of the Year payouts without properly communicating the decision to our cook team members. In no way was our decision meant to marginalize the tremendous effort put forth by teams competing for Team of the Year points.
In light of this, we have made the decision to pay out the additional money needed to match the levels that were paid out for 2016 Team of the Year.
We apologize for the way this situation was poorly communicated and appreciate the continued support of our cook team members.
Sincerely,
KCBS Board of Directors

Corrective action taken

Yeah right, you honestly think this will stop all the closed session BS that was the cause of this "mistake"? I'm sure there is a lot of other things the members have been taken advantage of that we don't have a clue about? Oh, at least we have a newly remolded office building.....

I've followed this thread fairly closely. It's not been but 7 years that KCBS has awarded prize money for team of the year. It was a board decision to give back to the teams, since there was an infusion of cash from sponsors. It was not intended to be a permanent thing, but an award if the funds were available. Mistake of last year's board was to not communicate the prize pool when it was set. I applaud them for recognizing their mistake and rectifying it.

Okay, going forward, if the "extra" money is gone, shouldn't the cash award go away? I think it should. Let's face it, there's more bragging rights to ToY that can be spun for long term benefit to the winners. That can boost prestige, which leads to more dollars at Travis' new venture, Tim's product line, Brad and Darren's restaurants and not to mention Big Poppa Smokers (did you see his cooking record?).

I remember under Don Will's ToY method, when no team knew their standing until the banquet. Lotta Bull, Debbie Davis, told me years ago that it was more fun then. I believe I agree with her now. I think many things in the last 10+ years have made KCBS competition more serious and less fun. But that's a whole different thread.

It's highly unlikely with my cooking record, that I'll ever see top 25, so there's truth that I've got nothing to lose with no cash award for ToY. It's unhealthy not to communicate with members (shame on the board) on any matter. Ultimately, I want KCBS to be financially viable and continue to sanction contests for as long as I'm able to hook the cooker on the back of the van and GO!

How is new president seated, vote by newly installed board members or finger pointed by CEO?
Ed
Oh by the way my $1 wager goes to.....drum roll....Mr. Polson, a very loyal one, he is.

Yeah right, you honestly think this will stop all the closed session BS that was the cause of this "mistake"? I'm sure there is a lot of other things the members have been taken advantage of that we don't have a clue about? Oh, at least we have a newly remolded office building.....
No. It'll probably be more "Ready, fire, aim"

I agree Candy. Although I think TOY payouts should be higher, it’s the way this was handled and not the money that is the issue. If they are going to cut it, make an announcement now. 7 years is a lot of precedent to change without informing the members.

I want KCBS to be as strong as possible. It does have it’s flaws, but it is certainly the best thing going in competition BBQ. I appreciate the board for making this right.

I am glad that this was the resolution, the only thing that I would like to see is that they make an announcement, and a timely one to their intentions for TOY payout this year. I stated in an earlier post that I thought this was the route they needed to take.

I think that TOY payout is extremely important. I will never be a contender as I am not able to travel and hit 30 + contests a year, or financially capable of doing this. I stay local which is touch and go. I know what I spend doing the few contests that I do a year and I applaud those that chase the points and feel they should be rewarded. Yes there are payouts along the way, but I am almost certain when said and done, travel expenses, vehicle expenses etc. it is nice to get that check to make the losses for the year hurt less.

Congratulations Everyone who earned getting paid!!

THank you for your perspective on this!

I've followed this thread fairly closely. It's not been but 7 years that KCBS has awarded prize money for team of the year. It was a board decision to give back to the teams, since there was an infusion of cash from sponsors. It was not intended to be a permanent thing, but an award if the funds were available. Mistake of last year's board was to not communicate the prize pool when it was set. I applaud them for recognizing their mistake and rectifying it.

Okay, going forward, if the "extra" money is gone, shouldn't the cash award go away? I think it should. Let's face it, there's more bragging rights to ToY that can be spun for long term benefit to the winners. That can boost prestige, which leads to more dollars at Travis' new venture, Tim's product line, Brad and Darren's restaurants and not to mention Big Poppa Smokers (did you see his cooking record?).

I remember under Don Will's ToY method, when no team knew their standing until the banquet. Lotta Bull, Debbie Davis, told me years ago that it was more fun then. I believe I agree with her now. I think many things in the last 10+ years have made KCBS competition more serious and less fun. But that's a whole different thread.

It's highly unlikely with my cooking record, that I'll ever see top 25, so there's truth that I've got nothing to lose with no cash award for ToY. It's unhealthy not to communicate with members (shame on the board) on any matter. Ultimately, I want KCBS to be financially viable and continue to sanction contests for as long as I'm able to hook the cooker on the back of the van and GO!

And I want to clarify the “you’re not doing it for the money so what’s the difference” line of thinking.

It’s true. We aren’t doing it for the money, but it takes a ton of money to do it. TOY payments help fuel part of my season.

I don't compete enough to worry about making TOY, but in my humble opinion, the top 10 TOY teams should absolutely get paid, among other things. Sure there is prestige in it, and Travis will be able to use it a little bit to his advantage to help promote his new restaurant. But shouldn't the KCBS, a national organization with national clout be able to get Travis on the Today Show, or Harry Connick Jr's show, or whatever and say "Here is the NATIONAL champion out of 3000 teams, this is a huge accomplishment for him and KCBS...and by the way, he's opening a BBQ restaurant, etc."

Back