KCBS - How are we doing ?

Who judged the Hammond, La event? quote]

I was a table captain in Hammond and they had 100% certified judges and 100% certified table captains. I'm sorry you have not had an opportunity to attend a judging school. Most, if not all of the contests I attend in the southeast do attempt to have all certified judges and most are successful in doing so.

Who judged the Hammond, La event? quote]

I was a table captain in Hammond and they had 100% certified judges and 100% certified table captains. I'm sorry you have not had an opportunity to attend a judging school. Most, if not all of the contests I attend in the southeast do attempt to have all certified judges and most are successful in doing so.

I didn't mean to imply that the judges at Hammond weren't certified, my point though is still that we need some classes being held in other areas of the country. I notice you are from North Alabama. That is a pretty long haul from South Louisiana.

Merl: Just coming from the Jefferson City Cook off last week I can tell you that some of the Judging was abysmal at best!! I talked to 2 CBJ's after the contest and found out some rather disturbing things. One had a box that had sculpted meat as he explained it to me in detail. I asked him if they DQ'ed the box and he said No because nobody else said anything about it. The same Judge said that they had a box that had pooled sauce. Again I asked, did you DQ them?? Again the answer was no but they didn't get a good score anyway. A second judge told me that he had a brisket turn in that looked chunked and burnt. He gave it a 4-4-4 without even tasting it. I guess my point is that we spend a whole lot of time and money in practicing our art only to get this kind of judging.

Case in point: Our Chicken Scoring last week one judge 9-8-9 another 5-5-5 ?? Whats up with that???

Spice

Thank you Brethren. I appreciate the comments. I remained silent so I could see where the comments went. I am summarizing the comments and will next take to my committee and then bring to the Board.

As you might remember some changes I have proposed have taken a lot to convince the Board to consider. But that is no reason to not try. I will keep you posted as to progress and what is going on.

Thank you for taking the time to write. As always feel free to contact me with your thoughts or concerns.

Yours in BBQ
Merl
mwhitebook at kcbs.us

Case in point: Our Chicken Scoring last week one judge 9-8-9 another 5-5-5 ?? Whats up with that???

Spice

Amen to that, Jay! We must have been on the same table with ya! We got almost all 8's and 9's from five judges with a few 7's thrown in and judge #1 gave us a 7-4-3!!! That's just stupid!

As you might remember some changes I have proposed have taken a lot to convince the Board to consider. But that is no reason to not try.

Merl,
I also appreciate the dialog, I really think KCBS is moving in the right direction with the "new" blood on the board over the last few years.

What are the changes that you have proposed ?

How about judging software that'll run on a Mac? It seems like it would be simple to do.

DF

Amen to that, Jay! We must have been on the same table with ya! We got almost all 8's and 9's from five judges with a few 7's thrown in and judge #1 gave us a 7-4-3!!! That's just stupid!

And here I thought I was the only one at that judges table.... ;-)

Scottie

I really like the idea of comment cards. It gives cooks an idea of what they need to improve. I just hope the judges are able to articulate what they like and don't like.

Ongoing training seems like a no-brainer to me. Gotta keep the skills sharp and the rules in the front of the brain.

A team name database would be cool but hard to maintain unless the team was a KCBS memer before they could list their name.

I agree with Jeff_In_KC on a couple of points. First, I am going to become a CBJ this summer. I also plan to compete. I want to be the best CBJ possible for the teams who are working very hard to make a good showing because that is exactly what I want when I compete. If my judging proves to be consistently off, then I should be required to be retrained or not allowed to judge.

Next, I am a web developer (actually an IT Manager now but I built websites for 15 years), and web design is crucial to an organizations growth. Your website is your business card; even more so, it is your brochure! It must be attractive, easy to use and constantly update with new and changing information. I think the KCBS website could use some immediate attention to improve the image of the organization and to make information more accessible to it visitors and members.

Tony

Merl,thanks for askin.
New logo? Ok, fine now leave it alone.
Electronic voting? Perfect, good job.
New judging slips ? Will see.
Cooks comment cards ? Great idea, many times wanted to explain my mark. Could be pretty sloppy looking card though, hard enough keeping score card clean.
Crappy judges, talking at the table before card turn in, too many first time judges grouped together, inattention during judges instuction... Put Mike Lake in charge of more events or have him train the reps. There is a noticeable difference between the way he runs a contest and others I have judged.
Last but not least the cooler debate. The first two contests I ever did I just sampled and pitched, honest to God each time I approached the garbage can I expected my mom to cuff me in the back of the head!! My wife was asking how it was, were there any real good ones or bad ones, this that and the other thing. So I decided to put some samples in the cooler and let her share in my hobby, that is all there is to it. I'm not tryint to put dinner on the table for the next week. Just sharing my fun and excitement for good BBQ.
ModelMaker

Merl, There is one more thing I'm pretty cranked about. The no fratinizing rule before turn in. In contests that the wife and I are not camping nearby I drive myself in and really enjoy talking with and making new friends before the judges gather for the meeting. Is it really that important to keep judges out of the area, even before the judges meeting. What does the board think we're trying to do? Make evil plans to overthrow the system? I just wanted to chit chat...
ModelMaker

Thanks Merl!

Merl:
You and Mr. Minion are saving the integrity of the KCBS. First off, great job! Next, the judging will never be close to 80% correct with all of the problems with educating judges that we have now. We as cooks have to figure in the luck factor of drawing that professional judge or not. I am a rookie at comps, but plan on continuing with the current KCBS circuit. I would ask one thing for the board to consider and hopefully adopt.....Make all of the organizers and the Bullsheet list the added monies or money up at their contest in the Bullsheet, in the back listings, so we can look at a glance and plan a "run", or set up a plan of competing at the contests we choose by purse structure. I am not ashamed to say that the added money is what gets me there. I am going to a small comp this week in Darcys hometown. The money is not the best, but I am going to gain experience and there will be 0 certified judging there. It is not sanctioned but plans are to be IBCA next year which I know nothing about. I wanted to go to Norfolk but can't make it. Maybe next year.
Good Luck Merl:
habenero

I agree with Jeff_In_KC on a couple of points. First, I am going to become a CBJ this summer. I also plan to compete. I want to be the best CBJ possible for the teams who are working very hard to make a good showing because that is exactly what I want when I compete. If my judging proves to be consistently off, then I should be required to be retrained or not allowed to judge.

Next, I am a web developer (actually an IT Manager now but I built websites for 15 years), and web design is crucial to an organizations growth. Your website is your business card; even more so, it is your brochure! It must be attractive, easy to use and constantly update with new and changing information. I think the KCBS website could use some immediate attention to improve the image of the organization and to make information more accessible to it visitors and members.

Tony

I agree with what Tony said, the website leaves a whole lot to be desired.

As far as the judging goes, I dont know what to say. It seems everyone likes to bash them and that can kind of be expected, nobody likes the refs or umps either. I don't really know how you can get more consistancy in something as subjective as judging food other than by doing it more and more.

I will say that the follow up for new CBJ's seems to be lacking, I took my CBJ class on 2/24 and had not heard anything since then. I really have no idea what I am supposed to do next. I got the CBJ shirt I ordered in the mail today but arent I supposed to get a number and a card or certificate or something to make me "official"

Sean,
All good things come to those who wait.
You will recieve a certificate suitable for framing, a shirt badge with your name and official number on it......and some other stuff.
What you need to do now is get on the KCBS site find a handfull of contests and contact the person in charge and ask to be included in their request for judges. They will contact you with what you need to do. They are all different in how they do things so get after 'em early.
I'm already on the list for four contests the first one not till June 6.
Good luck, if you need any help P.M. me.
ModelMaker

the point system need to be updated KCBS is way behind.
If a contest has 25 + teams, the points are doubled.
If a contest has 50 + teams, the points are tripled.
25 is little contest in kcbs now I thank that you should double what you have now to
If a contest has 50 + teams, the points are doubled.
If a contest has 100 + teams, the points are tripled.

the point system need to be updated KCBS is way behind.
If a contest has 25 + teams, the points are doubled.
If a contest has 50 + teams, the points are tripled.
25 is little contest in kcbs now I thank that you should double what you have now to
If a contest has 50 + teams, the points are doubled.
If a contest has 100 + teams, the points are tripled.

I have similar thoughts, but more along the lines of the double points being at 35 teams and triple points at 65 teams.

Back