KCBS at it again

I feel sick to my stomach after reading all of this. No other way to put it.
And to think you ran for the BOD. I ran 2 years ago and didn't get elected. At the time I felt both bad and good. Since then I have said thanks to all those people that voted that I did not get into this mess.

The root of nepotism rules is the fear of offering power or control to people who are assumed to be like minded. In the truest sense, it is offering concessions to family members. This really isn't the case since Merl didn't elect Carol to the board. The members did.

This could be a slippery slope if passed. Like minded people come in different forms: teammates, geographic regions, etc. There have been more complaints over a longer period of time that too many BOD members are from the Midwest. Why hasn't that been addressed before this?
My platform when I ran 2 years ago was to revamp the election process and setup 3 regions in the country. That way 1 person from each region could get elected in that year for the 3 year term plus the highest 2nd place vote getter became a BOD member as well. Still 4 per year and 3 year term. I didn't get elected. Guess most people wanted things to stay the way they were. And now look how it's changed.:eek::eek::twisted:

Here is my letter to the BOD.

Dear Board of Directors,

I would like to express my opinion about the proposed Nepotism Policy.

This is the text of the proposal that I have read.

KCBS Board Nepotism Policy
In light of objections by a number of members questioning two family members sitting on the KCBS Board at the same time, I propose the following added to the agenda for a vote in Friday's board meeting.
I propose that we adopt the following nepotism policy and that it be affective as of January 1, 2009 or at the next change in board of directors.

Be it resolved that no family members shall serve on the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors at the same time, during any term.
Family members are defined as a board members parent, child, spouse, domestic partner, brother, sister, grandparent, and any step relationships within the preceding categories.
Respectfully Submitted,
Troy Black

After reading this text I was shocked and saddened that this obsession that we all love has degenerated to this point.

One of the most important values and assets that KCBS BBQ Competitions possess is being family oriented and fostering camaraderie among people from all walks of life who enjoy good food and good clean fun.

This is one of the first things I picked up on when I strolled from site to site when I visited my 1st competition as a spectator. Everyone was friendly and competitors were helping each other out with different things and most importantly, I felt warmly welcomed by those that I talked with. These things are what laid the foundation for me to become serious about BBQ and were also what drew me to compete and ultimately, the core reasons that I joined KCBS.

If we adopt these kinds of policies, we risk tearing our BBQ community/family apart at its seams.
How far will this Nepotism Policy reach?
The BOD today, individual teams tomorrow?
How many husband and wife teams are there in KCBS who have made monumental contributions to our wonderful obsession? I can think of quite a few right off the top of my head.
I read about family members in the Bull Sheet each and every month.
Why do they do it? Because it’s a family activity that can be enjoyed by the entire family, children included. It also builds friendships that span the entire country and even to other countries as well.

These are qualities that are sorely lacking in most of today’s activities.

Family, one of the core assets of the KCBS.

As a paid KCBS member I ask that you not adopt this policy.

Respectfully Submitted,
Neil Zizleman
KCBS member #22374 and CBJ #22374

Some, if not many, people took the initial email that is quoted in the first post of this thread to be aimed at removing Carol Whitebook from the board. Others, I think correctly, believe that if approved the motion would either prevent Merle from running for office again...or force Carol to resign.

I guess I can see that ....

some of the issues I have with the whole thing are, the motion itself I think is out of order for a number of reasons.

I also think that this really is a matter for the BOD and it is things like this that we expect them debate and hash out after we elect them. As far as I am aware most motions require some sort of discussion and then a vote, let them hammer this out. Voice your opinion, sure, but by all means let your duly elected representatives do what you put them there for.

Just an update...

So far, I have heard back from Rod and Merl in response to my email to the BOD. Rod posted his thoughts earlier on this forum. Merl's response was as expected and just. I have yet to hear from anyone else on the BOD.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

Being naive, I can throw this out for consideration:

Why do we need BS (back-stabbing) politics in an organization developed around the enjoyment of BBQ???

Riddle me that.

Being naive, I can throw this out for consideration:

Why do we need BS (back-stabbing) politics in an organization developed around the enjoyment of BBQ???

Riddle me that.

It's Presidential election season... BS Politics is in the air, Arlin. :wink:

Rod Gray has responded that he received it and would consider it as they discussed it!

As a loyal KCBS member and certified judge, I'll just say this.

If the true motive for this policy is to remove a viewpoint from the board, whether through a non re-election, or re-election with a spousal quitting, that my friends, is twisting of rules to get what you want. Call it what you want, but its cheating, plain and simple.

If Carol and Merl are grandfathered out of needing to adhere to this policy, then, would you say that this is indeed a motion to attempt the board diversity (I think it was called North East representation upthread) you all are looking for? I know there is the argument that this is a veiled attempt to use diversity as the excuse for my first point.

Lastly, I agree with Thom Emery in another thread. The BOD was elected by the members. Let them work it out. To which I add that the vocal minority might not agree with them, but the silent majority just might. We'll only know when they come up for re-election.

Type-O

I understand this is a proposal, I also see it as a witch hunt. I do however understand concerns of nepatism, but also see KCBS and BBQ as family oriented. The organization was founded by 2 family members and they are the ones that made KCBS.

I am working on a letter to KCBS now.. and please... 490+ of you voted for me.. I ask PLEASE type up a letter and send it to the KCBS board of directors. Even if its just a single sentence, send them something NOW.

Click this link to fire up your email client with the address loaded.

click here

or cut and paste this: cwells@kcbs.us:rgray@kcbs.us;wlohman@kcbs.us;tblack@kcbs.us;[EMAIL="dharwell@kcbs.us;pkirk@kcbs.us;mlake@kcbs.us;lmullane@kcbs.us"]dharwell@kcbs.us;pkirk@kcbs.us;mlake@kcbs.us;lmullane@kcbs.us;sownby@kcbs.us;mwhitebook@kcbs.us[/EMAIL]

First address ends in : not ;

Cheers!

Who is up for reelection next year ?
Merl and who else
Do we need to make changes?
Is there a method of recall?

These meetings need to be open and live
We want to know what is going on
live meetings
www.nowlive.com

It'd be nice if Mr. Black, or anyone for that matter would explain the reasoning behind this proposal. I mailed the board the following...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Why not just let the members vote for the leadership we want, instead of trying to pass rules designed to manipulate control of who can and cannot be on the board?
I propose this policy be abandoned before it ever sees the light of day. What is the supposed benefit of such a policy?

Being only my second year in the KCBS, I sure don't like seeing some of the things that are happening. It's taking away what interested my wife and I in the society in the first place.

Dan

I love BBQ and competing but Im about ready to find a parking lot invite all who want to come and just cook. Too me all this stuff goes to the oppisite of what BBQ is.

Yeap, these people probably feel the same way:
http://www.kcbs.us/about_history.php

History of the Kansas City Barbeque Society

One evening, in the fall of 1985, Carolyn and Gary Wells and Rick Welch, a.k.a. Sir Loin, were enjoying some friendly libation and chatting about barbeque. Carolyn was Executive Vice-President of Wicker Barbecue Products company (a great barbeque marinade and baste distributed primarily in the South), and networked extensively in the barbeque market. All competed in the few existing barbeque competitions in the area - The American Royal, The Great Lenexa Barbecue Battle, and the Blue Springs Blaze Off. Members of other cooking teams were always calling wanting to know when the next event would be held. Sadly, there were none.
So, while pondering this dilemma, Carolyn, Gary and Rick decided to form a club for the cookers. The only criteria for membership was that none of it be taken seriously - to do so was grounds for disqualification. What to name the organization? After semi-serious deliberation, The Kansas City Barbeque Society was deemed to fit the bill: it left a lot of room for interpretation, and there was a fair amount of BS! How to reach these other cookers? We decided to put together a barbeque newsletter. Thus was conceived "The Bullsheet." Dues were set at $12 per year to cover printing and mailing. About twenty people joined.
Since the first barbeque contest in the area was in late June, the members decided to have an internal contest. In the tradition of baseball, it was dubbed "KCBS Spring Training." Their buddy, Dan Haake, had a horse farm in the country, and agreed to host the event. Having no funds for prize money or trophies, they bought quarter trophies and typed labels for the category prizes. A paper crown was secured for the grand champion. Invitations went out and entries came back. Twenty-two teams entered the first Spring Training, and membership was up to thirty. A good time was had by all, and it was decided that this club was going to be okay.
After the American Royal, in October, there was nothing going on until the next spring. Being in barbeque withdrawal, members decided that they should have a New Year's party in late January (they didn't want to rush into anything). A potluck dinner and brief program was planned. Invitations were sent and more than hundred people showed up to visit with their barbeque buddies. From the enthusiasm that was building, it was decided that the club be formalized into a real organization. Nine dedicated members were selected for the first Board of Directors. Monthly meetings were held to establish procedures. Periodic newsletters continued to go out, and membership was slightly more than 100.
The Society began receiving calls from organizations wanting to start barbeque competitions. They wanted KCBS to sanction their event. Wait a minute, this is getting serious. Up to this time, each contest had its own set of rules and judging procedures. It was decided to establish a committee to set standard rules and regulations for new contests. A computer literate friend wrote a program for tabulating scores. KCBS was going hi-tech! The contest phenomena was growing rapidly, as was the number of cooking teams and KCBS membership.
The Bullsheet grew from an 8.5 x11", two-sided newsletter to an official tabloid. News was expanded from just contests to include all types of barbeque information: personalities, recipes, cooking techniques, and events outside the KC area. There was so much news that the volunteer staff decided to hire an editor. It was 1988 and the Society was now up to 800 members!
Calls and letters started coming in from all over the United States. More committees were established to sanction contests, computers were purchased, phone and fax lines added. Membership continued to grow and KCBS became an informal but respected BBQ network of information.
In 1987, Rick Welch, Karen Adler, and Westport Publishers compiled members' recipes into a cookbook called "The Passion of BBQ." The book sold well in Kansas City and points beyond. It had information about KCBS, so more calls and letters rolled in. The Convention and Visitors Bureau learned of the Society's existence and began referring barbeque inquiries to KCBS. The network continued growing.
The tradition of the New Year's Party grew also. Programs were added to award a "Team of the Year" based on cumulative contest scores for the previous year. A "Hall of Flame" was initiated. Ribbies (boners) and Piggie (outstanding service) awards were established. Ph.B. (Doctor of Barbeque Philosophy), M.B. (Master of Barbeque), and B.S. (Barbeque Science) degrees were conferred from Remus Powers' Greasehouse University.
By 1993, the KCBS membership was up to 1,400 folks. The systems were in place and the KCBS ran like a semi-well-oiled machine. The number of contests continued to grow, and KCBS was sanctioning contests in points well beyond the Midwest. Thanks to dedicated members, participation in fund-raising projects allowed the Society to experience further growth. Referral programs increased membership and name recognition.
In January 1995, the Board participated in strategic planning exercises to determine orderly growth into the next century. Goals and objectives were set, and assignments delegated. Big plans are in the works for the Society, with the emphasis being on barbeque education. Further, expanding the awareness of barbeque and having fun, KCBS is the voice of the barbeque world.
Today, our voice is larger than ever. Thanks to media attention and event popularity in all things BBQ, our growth has exploded since the late '90s. Our board is still a volunteer board, but it governs the world's largest society of BBQ enthusiasts. We have more than 8,000 members worldwide, and we sanction almost 300 events a year.
So if you love BBQ....if you want to learn how to barbeque better....or if you want create a new event that is sanctioned and attended by the pros....then you have found the right place. Contact us to see how we can get things cooking right away!

I sent my 2 cents in.
Thanks to all who keep updated on the goings on.

Mr Black and I believe Mike Lake (not possitive on Mike) are up for re-election.

Jim

Back