KCBS at it again

Your right, it takes the voting away from KCBS members. It might as well just be a good ole boys club again. I have asked many times for the bylaws, a financial report and many other items. I finally got the by laws after years of asking, but nothing else. Why is everything sure a secret? What do we not deserve to know? This is crazy! I have asked who the letters and emails are from and were told they dont think they can say who wrote them, another secret? If the people dont want the membership to know who they are it should not be a issue to them. This board needs to get back to management of KCBS and let the members vote in who they want.

Sorry I did email this to all board members!

Here was my 2cents!
I did not vote for a husband and wife members of the board because I did not want to water down the vote I placed. However the vote is in and counted and we now have a Husband and Wife team on the board GREAT We VOTED it should stand and not be discounted as this is a family oriented community where we have many cooks, judges, and active members who are married to their best friends and should be allowed to work together in what they Love BBQ!
Do not insult my integrity or theirs by gracing the below request! Also we need to question the submitter to his ethics in this matter!

I propose that we adopt the following nepotism policy and that it be affective as of January 1, 2009 or at the next change in board of directors.

KCBS Board Nepotism Policy

Be it resolved that no family members shall serve on the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors at the same time, during any term.
Family members are defined as a board member’s parent, child, spouse, domestic partner, brother, sister, grandparent, and any step relationships within the preceding categories.
Respectfully Submitted,
Troy Black
Charles Beasley

Charles
Based on that idea had this been a rule from the start Gary and Carolyn could not have done the work they did. Carolyn could have never been the Ex Director. This is to keep merl from running for re-election.

I do not agree with the proposed policy and I have let my feeling be heard through emails to all of the board members I really hope everyone who has a feelings about this or any other issues lets their voice be heard. For or Against It doesn't matter to me if you feel that something is unjust or just you should let the board members know how you feel if they do not get feedback from members they will have no idea on how we feel about the topics they are discussing.

Jim I understand the implications. Present and future. I just hope that they kill the thought completely for now and next year as I see this as a family and participate as a family and hope it stays family oriented. It appears wrong to me. We have an elected board and we have a say I do not care if they are looking our for the world of BBQ if their dog runs next if he can make it better for those of us who are members! Thanks

I understand this is a proposal, I also see it as a witch hunt. I do however understand concerns of nepatism, but also see KCBS and BBQ as family oriented. The organization was founded by 2 family members and they are the ones that made KCBS.

I am working on a letter to KCBS now.. and please... 490+ of you voted for me.. I ask PLEASE type up a letter and send it to the KCBS board of directors. Even if its just a single sentence, send them something NOW.

Click this link to fire up your email client with the address loaded.

click here

or cut and paste this: cwells@kcbs.us;rgray@kcbs.us;wlohman@kcbs.us;tblack@kcbs.us;dharwell@kcbs.us;pkirk@kcbs.us;mlake@kcbs.us;lmullane@kcbs.us;sownby@kcbs.us;mwhitebook@kcbs.us

What exactly is a "Policy"?

Who is eligible or not to run for and/or sit on the board of directors would be covered under the Constitution and Bylaws? You can't legally institute a "policy" that would be in conflict with the Constitution and Bylaws. The Constitution and Bylaws itself would have to be amended the specific mechanism and requirements for doing so would be found within.

The root of nepotism rules is the fear of offering power or control to people who are assumed to be like minded. In the truest sense, it is offering concessions to family members. This really isn't the case since Merl didn't elect Carol to the board. The members did.

This could be a slippery slope if passed. Like minded people come in different forms: teammates, geographic regions, etc. There have been more complaints over a longer period of time that too many BOD members are from the Midwest. Why hasn't that been addressed before this?

It seems Mr Black does want the motion to be considered but does not want his name to public information as the person who wrote the motion. Great way to do business.

Who is eligible or not to run for and/or sit on the board of directors would be covered under the Constitution and Bylaws? You can't legally institute a "policy" that would be in conflict with the Constitution and Bylaws. The Constitution and Bylaws itself would have to be amended the specific mechanism and requirements for doing so would be found within.

exactley, very good point. in my experience I have found that they are written in such a way that the requirements for change have some sort of extended time frame written into them so that changes to the electoral process cannot be done at just one meeting.

It has been, 3 NY guys ran fro BOD and none of them won.

I thought it was four: John, Phil, Clint, and Steve.

My point is that the members have been more loudly calling for geographic representation over nepotism issues. If Troy is truly responding to the complaints of the members, he's not listening closely enough. Seems like that is a ratification that more members want over nepotism. That's my point.

I guess I am missing something here, I just dont get how it takes the vote away form anyone

I have a number of issues with the whole thing but I dont see that as one at all

I guess I am missing something here, I just dont get how it takes the vote away form anyone

I have a number of issues with the whole thing but I dont see that as one at all

Some, if not many, people took the initial email that is quoted in the first post of this thread to be aimed at removing Carol Whitebook from the board. Others, I think correctly, believe that if approved the motion would either prevent Merle from running for office again...or force Carol to resign.

I thought it was four: John, Phil, Clint, and Steve.

My point is that the members have been more loudly calling for geographic representation over nepotism issues. If Troy is truly responding to the complaints of the members, he's not listening closely enough. Seems like that is a ratification that more members want over nepotism. That's my point.
I didn't consider myself part of the 4 cause i unofficially dropped out when i did not answer the questionnaire. Lets just say Clint & poohbah were elected , would they fall under the nepotism rule? they are brothers aren't they?:wink:

Last edited:

I guess the original train of thought was that this was targeted at Carol who was just elected. Removing her makes all those votes not count...now that it has been a little more clarified I dont know that it will be removing anyones votes, but just that it might be removing someone's ability to vote for who they want to vote for...

It should prove interesting to see this played out...

My message to the board...

Good Day All,
I am responding to the upcoming discussion regarding nepotism on the KCBS BOD. I being a member in good standing voted in the BOD election last month. I chose not to vote for Mrs. Whitebook for the simple reason being I did not think adding Mr. Whitebooks wife was in my interest of spreading geographical representation to the board. However 43% of the voting membership disagreed with me and voted her in garnering the most votes of all candidates.
This is the essence of a democracy which this entity is and MUST be recognized as such. My view is this motion must be voted down and the election results honored.
To those of you who would continue on with this obvious personal back dooring of the whishes of this body, you must realize there will be no chance of you ever retaining your seat on the BOD.
Thank you for your time.
Ed Hartman
Member # 15736

I received this response from Mr. Black within minutes of sending my e-mail...

Ed,
Thanks for you interest on this issue.

There is nothing in the policy being discussed that would prevent any elected director from serving their term as elected.
Troy

Back