KC Strip Roast Sale in KC area......

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yesterday, the Lee's Summit Price Chopper (East 50 HWY) had KC Strip roast on sale for $4.99 lb. These were select cuts that averaged over ten pounds per roast. Butcher said they ordered too many roasts and needed to get rid of them. I forgot to ask if these roasts were on sale at their other KC locations. The man said they would stay on sale until they were gone. I picked up a 14 pounder. I will probably cut them into 16 ounce steaks and save the trimmings for grinding.

Lager,

Juggy

Saw those as well, the trick is to find the ones with a black angus label and not excel or IBP select stamps. I’ve scored some very nice ribeyes that way buying the whole roasts for $6-7/lb.

I had thought about just PMing you the heads up on the roast as I am guessing you and I might be the only active posters on the message board in the Lee's Summit area. I am sure there are lurkers in the area so that is why I posted the information. I did not check all of the roasts to see if there were other options to than the Excel select as I was short on time. Plus, there another shopper was waiting on me so he could rearrange the pile of roasts they had on hand.

I might be committing "BBQ blasphemy" by saying this, but I would much rather cook a select KC strip roast that cost $4.99 lb than a choice brisket that costs $3.99 lb. I have never done a pre-cooking weight to cooked weight comparison on the strip roast, but I am sure it is a lot higher yield than the average brisket yield of 50%. I have yet to cut that roast into steaks and I think I may leave a good sized roast just to see what the yield percentage is. I at least know this much in advance of this experiment, the cooking time will be a lot less.

Lager,

Juggy D retired Beerman

Back