Judge's Comment Cards & Score Definitions

I am really interested to see where the concept of feedback provided may go.
Sitting as a Judge, I hear some wildly divergent opinions on taste and texture.
Not sure who will fill out any comments--maybe only the "extremes" of the scoring range. But, ya never know.
I think the really caring, professional judges might provide some insight.
But......???????

Time will tell and my "hat is off" to KCBS for trying.

TIM

The Judges instructions for the comment card provides that Judges are encouraged to comment on exceptional entries or those which need substantial improvement.

In Rio Rancho, I had a cook who came up to me and told me he received three cards back. One for chicken which said it was exceptional, moist and tender. Two for ribs, which said the ribs were dry.

The cook indicated this matched his scores, and he appreciated both comments. His ribs were moist when tasted but dried out by the time they got to the judges table.

I had two other cooks tell me they appreciated the efforts and test.

Yours
Merl

we got comment cards 2 years ago in Highland. the effort was good, i thought the idea was great... but the comment "good teryaki flavor' on the chicken...which scored well..

but........... i didnt use any teriyaki on the chicken.. :confused:

we got comment cards 2 years ago in Highland. the effort was good, i thought the idea was great... but the comment "good teryaki flavor' on the chicken...which scored well..

but........... i didnt use any teriyaki on the chicken.. :confused:

Some of you east coast types struggle recognizing chicken correctly... teriyaki chicken... fried chicken... :lol:

We did have comment cards at a few different events in the Northeast a coupla years back. We still have ours, still stapled to our score sheets, and they did do our team some good. I think that they will help overall, but you still have to decipher and then take what you can from them.

For example...this weekend in Brooklyn... I judged a fish entry that was raw ... 'raw' on a comment card would let the team know why they got a 3, instead of thinking the judge just didn't like his fish.

I think it's a great idea, I hope it works well in reality.

If I wasnt getting the judges notes back in the Wine comps, I dont think I would enter. As stated, Its how you get better at doing what you do.

As a judge I don't have a problem with comment cards. There have been lots of times I wish I could have explained my good or bad scores.
However I am DEFINATLY against putting words with my score numbers it's just extra crap to jumble up the thought process.
Lets see was 7 extra good or just kinda good.
I think judges know what 7 is.
ModelMaker

Back