Help dissecting scores and a complaint on my brisket score

I haven't cooked the perfect brisket.....but I have tasted it in Austin. Buttery, beefy, peppery brisket unxiousness that I've been on a ceaseless pursuit to replicate since.

you likely were at a BBQ restaurant that servers brisket by the 1/4, 1/2, and full pound, sometimes on a bun.... Competition bbq is wayyyyy different from commercial BBQ... you have one bite to impress that judge with you skills as a pitmaster. Use a commercial injection like butchers or kosmos, and rub with a simple commercial beef rub. (try the most powerful stuff) If you want to get crazy layer two rubs. Not saying you have to become a mad scientist, and I certainly don't have all the secrets, or really know what I'm doing (in comparison to Brad,) but I've competed enough to know that bland brisket won't win. Perfectly cooked brisket, with a nice balance of spice and salt will... Like I said, you're not Aaron Franklin, and if you we're he'd tell you the brisket served in his restaurant, won't win any KCBS competitions.

you likely were at a BBQ restaurant that servers brisket by the 1/4, 1/2, and full pound, sometimes on a bun.... Competition bbq is wayyyyy different from commercial BBQ... you have one bite to impress that judge with you skills as a pitmaster. Use a commercial injection like butchers or kosmos, and rub with a simple commercial beef rub. (try the most powerful stuff) If you want to get crazy layer two rubs. Not saying you have to become a mad scientist, and I certainly don't have all the secrets, or really know what I'm doing (in comparison to Brad,) but I've competed enough to know that bland brisket won't win. Perfectly cooked brisket, with a nice balance of spice and salt will... Like I said, you're not Aaron Franklin, and if you we're he'd tell you the brisket served in his restaurant, won't win any KCBS competitions.

Was @Franklins. Next comp I need to seek out a veteran competitor to sample one of their slices. I've never had anyone else's, so that doesn't help me in comparison.

Buttery, beefy, peppery brisket is awesome! Good marbled brisket cooked just right will help get you there. Those commercial injections are strong for a reason... all that liquid gets cooked out of the brisket and into a pan where it mixes with the natural juices, that are valuable. I degrease the juices and save it for basting my slices with. Some put them in a loaf pan and "hot tub" them.

Legitimately good tips - much appreciated. I've hot tubbed in the past.

Apparently I got into the Jack Daniels last night? Wednesday is the new Thursday! Only 3 more days to go. I’ll probably post my entire process by the end of the weekend!

Good luck and looking forward to hearing and or seeing how you did!!

Like I said, you're not Aaron Franklin, and if you we're he'd tell you the brisket served in his restaurant, won't win any KCBS competitions.

Yep, he actually did do exactly that on his PBS show and wasn't even close to placing. :thumb: obviously the man can cook a mean brisket.

Back