THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This has been a good thread - Thanks for all those that have contributed - Burnt ends are my favorite piece of BBQ across the board...I think for the most part they turn out pretty good to good when I put them in my box. The one time I did not turn in Burnt Ends I got 15th the reason I did not turn them in is my brisket finished just in time for turn ins as I was vending as well and did not have smoker space - I can usually get a consistent top 10 puttng burnt ends in a box. My 180 had Burnt ends

I think in our area RMBBQA is influenced a lot by what happens in KC and since KC tends to have a preference for BE I think our judges do as well in talking with them...Thats not to say you cant do well with out them as their is no silver bullet, but for my money money when done right there is no better BBQ than a well done BE and for that I will always include them in my box assuming they turn out good.

I haven't turned in burnt ends in over 2 years and tend to walk more often than not in brisket. Not sure they are needed but when done right, they sure help.

We normally always turn-in burnt ends, just to add some options. No different than turning in sliced pork and chunks.

We took 5th in Brisket this weekend, with both slices and burnt ends.

Just my two cents!

Pete

I find the logic funny. With or without Burnt ends affecting the score. If they were better without it, maybe your burnt ends were or were not good.

When you've had 'em, you'll know 'em like Plowboy said. I don't think a lot of people do more than sauce, turn 'em in an hope. I tested every one I put in, by manually squeezing/feeling them an tasting a few.

I did well with and without B.E.'s.

We have no problem turning in a brisket box without burnt ends, but we prefer to.. if they're up to par.
Our standard is... if they don't make us roll our eyes back when we taste them, they aren't going in cuz we did something wrong.
It does bother my that a judge mentioned earlier that sometimes what gets turned in is nothing but a mouthful of gristle. There is no gristle in a brisket. Worries me that they don't know what they are eating.

I think Dave's got the right of it. If it ain't the best, don't put it in the box. I'm thinking my slices brought me down in Pensacola this year, but I was too chicken to turn in straight burnt ends. Should have gone with my gut there...

I've done well with and without burnt ends. I won't put them in the box if they aren't good.

We have no problem turning in a brisket box without burnt ends, but we prefer to.. if they're up to par.
Our standard is... if they don't make us roll our eyes back when we taste them, they aren't going in cuz we did something wrong.
It does bother my that a judge mentioned earlier that sometimes what gets turned in is nothing but a mouthful of gristle. There is no gristle in a brisket. Worries me that they don't know what they are eating.

I guess it depends on your definition of "gristle" to alot of folks that means anything in a piece of meat that isn't meat, and is tough to chew. The heavy strands of connective tissue in the point of a brisket fit that description if it hasn't been cooked long enough to break down.

I'd say it depends on the entry. Rib to rib out of the same or different racks will vary. However, even though six chicken thighs didn't come from the same chicken, I can make them taste like they did very easily. Chicken is probably the easiest thing to duplicate, especially during the same cook. My belief is that chicken scores should be consistent enough across judges at the same table that you shouldn't see more than 2 point swings from high to low.

Totally agree, attention to detail and consistency is the key to success in barbecue.

I just think it is counter productive to take judging as anything more than constructive criticism when the scores do not go my way so to speak.

Scores should motivate us all to do better and challenge our selves more. Although it can be maddening at times, I can look at a lower score than expected and know that I did all I could that day during that cook to make it my best. If the judges do not agree so be it, I'll just try harder next time.

I guess it depends on your definition of "gristle" to alot of folks that means anything in a piece of meat that isn't meat, and is tough to chew. The heavy strands of connective tissue in the point of a brisket fit that description if it hasn't been cooked long enough to break down.

Gristle is cartilage. Not just undercooked connective tissue. Unless somebody is cooking something other than a brisket, there is no gristle in there.

Gristle is cartilage. Not just undercooked connective tissue. Unless somebody is cooking something other than a brisket, there is no gristle in there.

I agree, but to many people(myself included) that undercooked connective tissue is every bit as unpleasant to chew as a piece of cartilage. Whatever anyone wants to call it, its nasty. If I consistently judged "burnt ends" like that, then I wouldn't be optimistic about them either.

It is that. How anybody can turn in undercooked burnt ends in I'll never know, I'm usually fishing around just to find 6 that will hold together long enough to put them in the box?

Back