THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I learned last year. I thought my burnt ends were realy good but just wasn't getting consistant good scores. I quit putting them in the second weekend in August. Here's results for the rest of the year.

Sams regional Indy 1st
Madison Ribberfest 19th...still scratching my head on this one.
Silverlake MI 3rd behind 2 No name teams Scottie and Quau.:mrgreen:
Royal Invitational 7th
Royal Open 6th
Sams Nationals 1st (180)

Needless to say the points of my briskies go into hamburger. I love my burnt ends but the judges don't so I leave them out.

I had burnt end in Silver Lake and so did Mike. I was fortunate. QUAU nailed his brisket and it was better than mine. In my opinion at least. Mine was good though.. :mrgreen:

Last weekend in Las Vegas, the table behind me turned in a box with nothing but burnt ends and scored a lot of 8's & 9's. They handed me one and it was YUMMY.
If it's good, send it in. If you don't think it's good, keep it out.

Hey, that was my table. Enjoyed meeting you guys.

Back on topic - Any time you submit two different samples, you better nail both. I've had boxes that were borderline between two scores, and the burnt ends helped make the decision (in both directions).

Also, I'm pretty sure most of what I've gotten has just been cubed point, but that's not a bad thing if it's done right. I've even seen boxes that had burnt ends, slices, and chopped brisket.

My 1st in brisket at the Jack in 2007 was with no burnt ends. My 15th in brisket at the Jack in 2008 had burnt ends.. FWIW..

Me & my buddy Jay Wolf took 4th at the Jack in 2010 with no burnt ends. I think we scored a 176 or so.

I consider my burnt ends to be great, and when I cater, they are the most requested item off my menu. However, the few times I have turned them in, scores seem to become sporadic not bad, but sporadic. My personal feelings are that judges have different ideas of what burnt ends should be. I know a few guys that are turning in cubed flats as "burnt ends". They purposely overcook one of their briskets to the point where it's just about falling apart. Then they cube, season and box the pieces along with the slices from the other brisket.

Don't use burnt ends or reasonable facsimiles there of just for the sake of having them in the box.

Also, it is never the judges' fault when your food scores badly, it is your food's fault.

disclaimer: The use of the phrase "your food" is intended as a generalized statement encompassing anyone and everyone's food cooked at any time. :wink:

I've always scored well adding burnt ends to my brisket box. If they're (burnt ends) not good, don't add them. It will only bring down the brisket score:razz:

Also, it is never the judges' fault when your food scores badly, it is your food's fault.

I agree with the judging of my food 95% of the time. To say the judges are never wrong is funny to me. One judge scores 999 and the guy next to him scores 767. One of those two is wrong. It could easily be the guy that scored 999. Judges are human. They can and will screw up at times.

I agree with the judging of my food 95% of the time. To say the judges are never wrong is funny to me. One judge scores 999 and the guy next to him scores 767. One of those two is wrong. It could easily be the guy that scored 999. Judges are human. They can and will screw up at times.

agreed.:becky:

That is assuming that the piece that the 767 judge bit into was exactly the same as the piece 999 bit into. Neither of the two are "wrong" because ultimately it is their opinion. Just like our opinions differ here, judge's opinions differ. Taste buds are different, pieces of chicken are different, ribs are different, so many variables to just blame everything on the judges and say one of them or both of them are "wrong."

That is assuming that the piece that the 767 judge bit into was exactly the same as the piece 999 bit into. Neither of the two are "wrong" because ultimately it is their opinion. Just like our opinions differ here, judge's opinions differ. Taste buds are different, pieces of chicken are different, ribs are different, so many variables to just blame everything on the judges and say one of them or both of them are "wrong."

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. How many times on here have we heard comments come out of judges mouths that they are scoring based on the way somebodies parsley looks or they marked down because they got wings instead of thighs. There are absolutely bad judges out there who can and will score an entry incorrectly.

My teammates sole purpose on brisket today was to remind me (force me) to NOT put Burntends in the box.... I don't even cut them....

Last comp with BEs = 25th
This comp no BEs= 6th

No BEs for me from now on...

OK now Im totally messed up Today at the Contest in Wildomar.....I read this...told myself...NO BURNT ENDS! I cookend the brisket...."damn these are pretty good burnt ends" " I cant risk it" Screw it...

Put the burnt ends in

FIRST PLACE BRISKET

go figure...WTF?

What I learned last year. I thought my burnt ends were realy good but just wasn't getting consistant good scores. I quit putting them in the second weekend in August. Here's results for the rest of the year.

Sams regional Indy 1st
Madison Ribberfest 19th...still scratching my head on this one.
Silverlake MI 3rd behind 2 No name teams Scottie and Quau.:mrgreen:
Royal Invitational 7th
Royal Open 6th
Sams Nationals 1st (180)

Needless to say the points of my briskies go into hamburger. I love my burnt ends but the judges don't so I leave them out.

Sounds like you had a good brisket coach.

OK now Im totally messed up Today at the Contest in Wildomar.....I read this...told myself...NO BURNT ENDS! I cookend the brisket...."damn these are pretty good burnt ends" " I cant risk it" Screw it...

Put the burnt ends in

FIRST PLACE BRISKET

go figure...WTF?

Burnt ends today and placed 3rd of 82.

I'd say it depends on the entry. Rib to rib out of the same or different racks will vary. However, even though six chicken thighs didn't come from the same chicken, I can make them taste like they did very easily. Chicken is probably the easiest thing to duplicate, especially during the same cook. My belief is that chicken scores should be consistent enough across judges at the same table that you shouldn't see more than 2 point swings from high to low.

My 1st in brisket at the Jack in 2007 was with no burnt ends. My 15th in brisket at the Jack in 2008 had burnt ends.. FWIW..

My first place brisket at the Royal Invitational in 2009 had burnt ends. Having said that, the Royal is judged in KC.

Back