Johnsonville Brats

The only thing mass manufactured that I have found close to a traditional German bratwurst is Boar's Head, so it is the only one I buy.

I must live in the worst state for "good sausage" If you hate Johnsonville, stay the hell away from Hatfield, Redners store brand, and Weis brand. The only more expensive brands ($4.99/lb) are Johnsonville, Leidy's, Primo, and on sale at $2.49/lb Giant brand.

I am glad i finally bought a small commercial grinder.

I do not know what state you live in, but of the ones you have listed, I have only seen Primo besides the Johnsonville.

And I like Johnsonville with the cheddar brat being my favorite. This year, it seems the stores have decided to substitute the bacon and cheddar brats for the cheddar brats. I find them to be a little salty and really don't get the bacon flavor at all.

Robert

I actually like Johnsonville's stuff a lot. I love their Italian sausage the most. Their brats are pretty good. I've never seen most of the varieties listed, though. Most stores are more interested in carrying their own brands.

Thankfully, I have Schreiner's Sausage here. They've been here since the 50's and supply most of the restaurants in the area. Their stuff is the best, so I don't buy sausages from the big stores all that often.

I like J'ville brats, but if you ever run across some Bob Evans brats, give them a try. They are my favorite.

Johnsonville brats are very popular here in Wisconsin. They're mass produced but a solid brat nonetheless. Just throw on some kraut, ketchup, mustard and wash it down with a BEER. Good stuff!

I like Johnsonville...original and cheddar are my two favorites.

If you ever head over to Stilwell, OK Moutainview Meats makes some great sausages.

I look at Johnsonville like the Samuel Adams of sausages. They make some really consistent stuff, but often get shunned because they're too big. I grilled Johnsonville brats the other night with peppers n onions. Never lets me down.

Back