Johnsonville Brats

Robert

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
I know a lot of folks do not like Johnsonville Sausage products. But if you live in a place that has little to no selection of other sausage unless it is Hillshire, Ekrich type, then they are pretty good for a fresh sausage. Inspired by brethren Joshw cooking Johnsonville bacon and cheddar brats on his blackstone, I went to the Johnsonville website to see what other varieties they have listed. Turns out they have several listed that I've never seen. Here is their complete list of fresh suasuges:
Original
Firecracker
Queso with Pepper Jack Cheese
Beer Brats
Cheddar Brats
Tailgate Cheddar and Beer
Fresh Polish Kielbasa
Jalapeno and Cheddar Brat
Irish O'Garlic Links
Hot 'n Spicy Brats
Grilling Chorizo
Hatch Green Chili Brats
Bacon and Cheddar Brats
Buffalo Bleu Brats

Italian
Hot Italian

Of these, I've seen the original, firecracker, cheddar, bacon and cheddar, beer brats, chorizo and Hot 'n Spicy, Italian and Hot Italian. Some limited editions no longer offered were Octoberfest (a very good flavor) and Four Cheese Italian. What varieties has the brethren seen and or tried?

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited:
I have access to good local sausages and still eat Johnsonville original and I love the firecracker version.

Consistently good.

You're in Springdale, Arkansas where my 91 year old father-in-law lives. I'm in Lawton, Oklahoma and we don't have much selection here. A statewide grocery store chain here makes fresh brats/sausage in store almost daily. Maybe 8 varieties. My wife can't eat Johnsonville products. Everything we've seen has MSG and she's allergic to it. We get uncured brats from Aldi. They are really good. Only way to cook them in on the grill. Gas or charcoal. With brown mustard. Wow, really good.

I like Johnsonville brats. The beer brats and Italian sausage are my favorites. I saw the Hatch green chili brats one time. I was going to try them on my next grocery trip but they were gone and haven't seen them since.

NJ is no major market for local sausage makers unless it's Italian, and I'm certainly not a sausage snob.

I Like Johnsonville Brats. They're readily available and taste great.

Beer & Italian.
Rarely grill the Italian just pull the casing and chunk it up for other meals....we ain't known for our meat selection up here.

-D

That's good to know Robert. I do get up St. Louis way to see grandbaby and try to bring some GW sausage back in the ice chest when I can.

Obviously, I have no problem with Johnsonville. One of the few store bought sausage brands, I will buy. I think any of their raw sausage is pretty good. I don't care for the pre cooked stuff. I haven't seen several of those listed. Like the hatch, or the buffalo bleu cheese ones. Would definitely give them a try though. One you don't have listed, which is one of the best ones, I have tried, is red wine and cheese. I think it was a special edition, because I haven't seen it, in a long time.

No shortage of great sausage down here. That said Johnsonville brats and Italian is fine with me. Not a fan of the firecracker tho. Other than spicy not much flavor

No shortage of great sausage down here. That said Johnsonville brats and Italian is fine with me. Not a fan of the firecracker tho. Other than spicy not much flavor
That's what we've found, too. We like the regular ones, pass on the others, except Italian.

I know a lot of folks do not like Johnsonville Sausage products. But if you live in a place that has little to no selection of other sausage unless it is Hillshire, Ekrich type, then they are pretty good for a fresh sausage. Inspired by brethren Joshw cooking Johnsonville bacon and cheddar brats on his blackstone, I went to the Johnsonville website to see what other varieties they have listed. Turns out they have several listed that I've never seen. Here is their complete list of fresh suasuges:
Original
Firecracker
Queso with Pepper Jack Cheese
Beer Brats
Cheddar Brats
Tailgate Cheddar and Beer
Fresh Polish Kielbasa
Jalapeno and Cheddar Brat
Irish O'Garlic Links
Hot 'n Spicy Brats
Grilling Chorizo
Hatch Green Chili Brats
Bacon and Cheddar Brats
Buffalo Bleu Brats

Italian
Hot Italian

Of these, I've seen the original, firecracker, cheddar, bacon and cheddar, beer brats, chorizo and Hot 'n Spicy, Italian and Hot Italian. Some limited editions no longer offered were Octoberfest (a very good flavor) and Four Cheese Italian. What varieties has the brethren seen and or tried?

Thanks,

Robert

Back in the day all our local stores made their own sausage. They no longer do. However I still find things preferable (to me at least) from the JVille stuff. I'd suggest looking at https://www.nueskes.com/ .

/dont have an interest in either place nor was I paid to place this comment

I'm not that big of a sausage fiend to seek ordering it. J Ville works when I cruise through a store and pick them up.

They cook well and delicious........all that counts. :-D

I am pretty much all things sausage and Johnsonville does a God job. I even like the Johnsonville burgers. Maybe my least favorite (although still eat them okay) is Italian flavored.

Just dont invite Andy and his F-bomb sausages...whoo! Not expecting that.

I am pretty much all things sausage and Johnsonville does a God job. I even like the Johnsonville burgers. Maybe my least favorite (although still eat them okay) is Italian flavored.

Just dont invite Andy and his F-bomb sausages...whoo! Not expecting that.

I find this post Helpful and everyone else should too at the Chicago and maybe SolCal Bash. :doh:

I must live in the worst state for "good sausage" If you hate Johnsonville, stay the hell away from Hatfield, Redners store brand, and Weis brand. The only more expensive brands ($4.99/lb) are Johnsonville, Leidy's, Primo, and on sale at $2.49/lb Giant brand.

I am glad i finally bought a small commercial grinder.

I smoke-roasted four pounds of different brat's on my PBC the other day, and I really liked the Johnsonville Firecracker sausages best. Approximately sixty minutes on the PBC with charcoal and Hickory chunks eaten as-is or smothered with Sauerkraut and Mustard!

Back