Italian Stuffed Pork Loin Pron

Man that looks fantastic. I think the only thing that would have made it better would have been the Tropical Rick of Thirdeye signature flames action photo.

ZBQ,

Pork loin is one of my signature/staple type dishes.

Any chance your camera can do a .mpg (or whatever its called) of your technique to go from picture 2 to picture 3?

It looks like the second cut goes out from the middle?

This looks really good, even if I can't smoke the roast, its oven season soon. I love roasts and casseroles that also help heat the house!

Right on the money Bill!!:-D

Can't do video but I will try to describe it for you.

I trimmed the outer layer of fat off before food savering it.

I stand it up on edge so that I am looking at one end and the rest is facing straight away from me, holding it up with my left hand on top so that my fingers are on the right side and my thumb is on the left. Leave enough room bettween the yoke of your thumb and forefinger and the roast so that you can slide the knife in bettween and slice straight down but obviously not all the way through. It's just butterflyed at this point.

Now the second and third cut are kind of like fileting a fish. Lay your blade really flat like you are going to take the meat off of the skin of a fish filet and press down on top of the meat with the flat of the palm of your nonknife hand. Start close to the middle where you stopped the 1st cut and start cutting away from the middle toward the outside edge. Just feel your way along checking by peeling the top part back a few times to make sure you are on track. Keep going till it will lay flat without a lump where the end of the cut is.

Repeat on other side.

That's probably clear as mud so if you need more info just ask.:lol: Glad to help you if I can. You were right about the 2nd and 3rd cuts going out from the center so this most likely makes sense to you. At least I hope it does.:roll:

Fark me to tears!!!!!!!!
That's absolutely the most beautiful thing I have seen in long time!!!!!

That's probably clear as mud so if you need more info just ask.:lol: Glad to help you if I can. You were right about the 2nd and 3rd cuts going out from the center so this most likely makes sense to you. At least I hope it does.:roll:

It makes pretty good sense, as you are right, I am visualizing before I asked.

Might need your advice when I get to actual cutting, as my farked up left handed brain ends up confusing all the initial directions.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it, it will not go to waste.

The pork loin is such a marvelous cut, there are no cross grains, so you can open it up like you did, and still have a continuous piece.

If my visual is correct, here is the analogy.

When you buy a hardcover book, with a book cover, this cover (closed) is like a whole loin.

Now open the cover (like opening a book), this is the first cut.

Now open each side of the cover, until it lays flat (this is the second and third cuts to flatten the butterfly)

Again, thanks Z

Instead of prime rib for my customer Christmas Eve dinner, this year I think I may do this for the main course.
Gorgeous!!!

Ouch I'm glad I just had breakfast. Looks GREAT could you add some mozzarella with that?

Wow! I'll be a tryin that!:eek:

So, you get two of these out of a butterflied loin? What do you do with the rest of the loin?

Bill is right. One continuous piece from one roast. It wasn't a whole loin, just a linear section (roast) of one. Roast was about 10-12 inches long and about 2.5 lbs. If you did have a whole loin I think you could definatley get 2 and mabey 3 roasts this size, if you cut it right. It might get kinda tricky when you get down into the sirloin end.

It makes pretty good sense, as you are right, I am visualizing before I asked.

Might need your advice when I get to actual cutting, as my farked up left handed brain ends up confusing all the initial directions.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it, it will not go to waste.

The pork loin is such a marvelous cut, there are no cross grains, so you can open it up like you did, and still have a continuous piece.

If my visual is correct, here is the analogy.

When you buy a hardcover book, with a book cover, this cover (closed) is like a whole loin.

Now open the cover (like opening a book), this is the first cut.

Now open each side of the cover, until it lays flat (this is the second and third cuts to flatten the butterfly)

Again, thanks Z

Good analogy Bill.

The book would be standing on edge with the spine against the cutting board with the bottom facing you and top away from you.

1st cut would look just like you opened the book to the middle page so you could read it.

I think you meant the "dust jacket" didn't you Bill?

That is absolutely correct.

2nd and 3rd cuts would unfold just like you were unfolding the edges of the dust jacket so you could take it off of the book.

You are cutting it into slices that are 1/4 the original thickness of the roast.

I guess you could look at it in the sense that you are making 3 butterfly cuts. The 2nd and 3rd cuts are butterflying the halves of the 1st cut but starting the cut near the middle (spine of the book) instead of the edge.

You just can't beat Pork wrapped in Bacon..
what are those Bungy looking things??
do they go in the oven?? They look cool.
Or do you just use them to hold it tight
while you tie the roast with string???
Great looking roast...

Actually that is bacon (Prosciutto)wrapped in pork wrapped in bacon! Looks mighty fine! Will have to give this a try.

Ouch I'm glad I just had breakfast. Looks GREAT could you add some mozzarella with that?

Sure!

I tried it with provolone once and thought it was too mild of a cheese. You could try mozzerella with it. I might try that next time. Mozzerella would have a better texture than provolone.

I was also thinking of trying Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmigiano Stravecchio and mabey even Pama Gradano (sp?) next time too. They have a pretty hearty flavor that would stand up to the other flavors. Might add that to the mozzerella. Aged Gouda would be a nice flavor too but I don't think it will melt right.

Good idea Charlie!:-D

Actually that is bacon (Prosciutto)wrapped in pork wrapped in bacon! Looks mighty fine! Will have to give this a try.

Not trying to be nit picky here but prosciutto is ham not bacon.:wink:
(read this post as tougne in cheek:lol: Not being critical.)

Prosciutto (IPA: [proˈʃuːto]) is the Italian word for ham. In English the word refers only to dry-cured ham; in American English usage it often refers to dry-cured hams from central and northern Italy such as Prosciutto di Parma and Prosciutto di San Daniele.

Pancetta is more like bacon.

Pancetta is a mild, spicy-sweet Italian-style bacon cured with salt and pepper, most commonly found unsmoked. Smoked pancetta, also available, is found at Italian delicatessens. Pancetta is sold flat or rolled into a large sausage shape.

But hey, it's pork stuffed with pork and wrapped in pork!!:lol:

Now that's GOT to be good!:lol:

Yes, I meant dust jacket.

Thanks again for taking the time to help put in words, a method of cutting prep.

I need some help on this guys. I am planning on making this tomorrow for my son's B-day party. I am thinking that maybe I should serve it with an optional sauce. What kind of sauce would go good with this? I was thinking maybe a wine, onion and butter type of sauce. I don't really know how to make a sauce like that though, white wine or red? Throw out any ideas you guys might have for me.

I was also planning on cooking it on my BGE at around 300* to an interanl temp of 140* with the thinking that after resting it would be close to 145* internal temp. Does that sound about right?

Thanks.

Back