issues with garnish

OMG Arlin you are dead right......And you cook bbq too (what a hottie)....I did not know any super psych majors were on this forum ...maybe i should start from the beginning....my father's father's father's father's father competed in kcbs and no one in my family has ever won we have been DAL in ever competition we do....i have been crying for 42 long years praying that the garnish rule would change but it has mocked our family and continue's to mock us to this very day. I made a voe at my my dad's dad's father's death bed that I will go on forums ONLY and stir up sheet with everyone so I am just following my heart. so this is a long fighting struggle with garnish.....ooohhhh nooooo they figured me out.....my cover is blown.....Arlin is a private eye investigator/interrogator....hey Arlin did you pick all that up by the font that I type in? dang your good...

I have been watching this thread and I must it has taken several different turns. My first thought was to chime in and say "hey give kcbswtf a break" we as brethren are here to help and grow bbq. I personally dont care for garnish but its in the rules so I use it, but you dont have to. I read alot of sarcasim in your posts , and maybe thats just who you are, again no biggie to me. This forum sees alot of pot stirers and I belive thats were most are comming from in response to your o.p. Your screen name does put alot of posters on the defense/offense. Im not gonna jump on a soap box and say play nice, but you have to admit you get alot more flies with honey then viniger. good luck..keep posting.

I observed the contest and the rules because i am interested in doing competitions and I am trying to understand why have this professional competitions with obvious issues.
Once you've taken the judging class and judged a couple dozen competitions, you will better understand that, even though there are issues, the KCBS system does a really, really good job of providing a system that ameliorates many of these issues.

There's also the condition of being a decent human being that helps these competitions go well because (most of) the people involved, KCBS reps, the cooks and their team members, the organizers, volunteers and the judges all adhere to a higher level of existence. They are all some of the nicest and most fair-minded people you would ever want to meet.

Try becoming involved so that you get to know it very well. You will be glad you did.

http://www.kcbs.us

Brothers and Sisters, I apologize this kcbswrf troll jerk is from my home state. He is an inexperienced nobody that just joined the forum and is just trying to cause trouble. He obviously, has not experience or knowledge about competition bbq events..Quit answering any more of his posts and maybe he will go away...as he should. Just a thought friends.

You know, I am trained to "put the best construction" on things - explaining them in the nicest manner. So, with regard to the O.P. I must remain silent.

Meat, no worries, we don't judge ya by the folks who come out of your state. I currently live in IL, where our ex governors make the license plates. :) LOL

The reason we have garnish is one reason and one reason only. Gary Wells who was the founder of KCBS (along with Carolyn Wells and Rick Welch) said that garnish is the one thing that separates us from the other bbq organizations. THAT's why we still have garnish today. It's basically a respect issue. I don't see a darn thing wrong with that. :heh:

Go ahead and put your pork in the corner and your parsley wrapped around your entry meat. I seiously doubt you would find any judges accepting your bribe in the first place. Too many good judges out there!:laugh:

Bunny

ok.. done.

A question was asked..

Answer or dont anwer..

bad posts get reported via the 'report post' button. Leave it up to our moderator staff to weed things out..

drop the sarcasim from both sides, and the name calling, everyone knows thats not what we are about here.

thread goes civil, or goes away.

sorry, but im at a contest and cant type with smilies and happy faces, but get back on track folks.

Why have garnish? Does anyone think it is possible to cheat with garnish? example: if i were to talk to say 15 cbj's offer them cold hard cash to judge my box and give it 9's across the board. I know you are thinking that won't affect anything...but if I tell those 15 judges that my boxes will have green leaf as a base and then i will bunch parsley in top right and bottom left. If my boxes crosses any of those judges then I could cheat theoretically.

Why not have no garnish and a exact amount of portions. example 6 pieces of brisket instead of filling the boxes. Every box in the competition should look exactly the same regardless of the category for every team , every box. Another question i am pondering is Do judges rate your food bad if you do NOT fill the box. I think that teams spend tons of cash to do these competitions and that doesn't mean that the teams are there to feed the judges, their families, dogs, and cats for months at a time. Why do judges come to comp's with coolers the size of mini fridges. Also without standardization of the portions one could actually cheat that way. example I am going to put all my pulled pork in top portion of box and my money muscle at the bottom wrapped with parsley. if portions were controlled and layout of meat in boxes is controlled then there can be no cheating. I am just trying to get rid of unnecessary expenses (cooking tons of food to stuff a box full so I can please an entire judges family or so that judge doesn't have to buy food for a month), and wasting my time messing with garnishes.

Dude I'm sorry of you got kind of the harsh treatment, its just that this is an old, old discussion that most of us have heard time and time again. Here is my take on your comments/questions.

Cheaters will always find a way to cheat. I prefer to spend my energy on ways to improve within the confines of the rules. It much easier for me to practice a parsley box than to rig a contest.

The easy answer to your question about garnish is, it looks better. Plain and simple. There is something about the contrasting colors of the meat and the garnish that makes your presentation "POP". Make 2 boxes side by side one with one without and see for yourself. Understandablely garnish can be a PIA and is an aquired skill. It is however, for better or worse, an important skill that you willl need to master if you wish to compete at a high level in KCBS contests.

We all understand your wanting to keep cost low, but honestly garnish is not that big of an expense at all, often teams will split cases of parsley tha cost less than $30. If you think that the KCBS garnish is a chore and expense take a look at an MBN event where they garnish whole cookers, and set out china plates and silver. KCBS garnish is very limited in its scope and only certain things can be used, unlike the open garnish that many of the other Sanctioning Bodies use.

While the idea of judges packing coolers "the size of mini fridges" so "the judge doesn't have to buy food for a month" seems to be a topic of hot debate, i can't see how what I put in a box will help them out with that. Even when we do put extra meat into the box, it's an extra piece or two, not pounds of extra stuff. In a KCBS contest for the most part teams fill boxes with some well trimmed pieces that are rarely more than a bite or two. While most teams will cook more than one brisket or butt, the amount of food cooked is far less than some others contests that require whole hogs or half chickens.

I hope this helped...:thumb:

Dude I'm sorry of you got kind of the harsh treatment, its just that this is an old, old discussion that most of us have heard time and time again. Here is my take on your comments/questions.

Cheaters will always find a way to cheat. I prefer to spend my energy on ways to improve within the confines of the rules. It much easier for me to practice a parsley box than to rig a contest.

The easy answer to your question about garnish is, it looks better. Plain and simple. There is something about the contrasting colors of the meat and the garnish that makes your presentation "POP". Make 2 boxes side by side one with one without and see for yourself. Understandablely garnish can be a PIA and is an aquired skill. It is however, for better or worse, an important skill that you willl need to master if you wish to compete at a high level in KCBS contests.

We all understand your wanting to keep cost low, but honestly garnish is not that big of an expense at all, often teams will split cases of parsley tha cost less than $30. If you think that the KCBS garnish is a chore and expense take a look at an MBN event where they garnish whole cookers, and set out china plates and silver. KCBS garnish is very limited in its scope and only certain things can be used, unlike the open garnish that many of the other Sanctioning Bodies use.

While the idea of judges packing coolers "the size of mini fridges" so "the judge doesn't have to buy food for a month" seems to be a topic of hot debate, i can't see how what I put in a box will help them out with that. Even when we do put extra meat into the box, it's an extra piece or two, not pounds of extra stuff. In a KCBS contest for the most part teams fill boxes with some well trimmed pieces that are rarely more than a bite or two. While most teams will cook more than one brisket or butt, the amount of food cooked is far less than some others contests that require whole hogs or half chickens.

I hope this helped...:thumb:

Well said, Sean.

Also, am I the only one that actually likes garnish?

-Mike

KCBSWTF has one very very good point.....GARNISH SUCKS!!!!!.....and the reason it sucks is cause i cant use whatever i want....if garnish is not really suppose to effect the score then let me use my skill and garnish the box with whatever i want, would make garnishing a lot more fun and the boxes much more interesting....maybe some nice tomato roses, pepper crowns, basil rosets, maybe use some Belgium endive stuff like that make it interesting at least instead of that damn monotonous parsley putting green, its just BORING

KCBSWTF has one very very good point.....GARNISH SUCKS!!!!!.....and the reason it sucks is cause i cant use whatever i want....if garnish is not really suppose to effect the score then let me use my skill and garnish the box with whatever i want, would make garnishing a lot more fun and the boxes much more interesting....maybe some nice tomato roses, pepper crowns, basil rosets, maybe use some Belgium endive stuff like that make it interesting at least instead of that damn monotonous parsley putting green, its just BORING

Is your nephew KCBSWTF????:boxing:

c'mon bro.....i agree with him on ONE thing and thats the response i get? is he your nephew? well no hes not smart ass i was just making a point about the garnish and other options that can be done with it....... just using my brain and thinking of other options for garnish....sorry to offend you with the whole thinking part worthsmokin...i am just bored with the whole parsley thing and would like to see other things allowed to garnish with.....we do not as teams get dictated to how to prepare or cook our food so why should we be dictated to about garnish? if we gotta do the whole garnish thing lets have some fun with it and use our brains a bit by allowing other things to garnish a box with besides parsley...i'm not being an idiot by thinking about this stuff stillsmokin so cut be some slack....you should try the whole thinking thing it really doesnt hurt that much, and if you smell somthing burning when you start to think just ignore it it will go away eventually after you think about other things a couple times

c'mon bro.....i agree with him on ONE thing and thats the response i get? is he your nephew? well no hes not smart ass i was just making a point about the garnish and other options that can be done with it....... just using my brain and thinking of other options for garnish....sorry to offend you with the whole thinking part worthsmokin...i am just bored with the whole parsley thing and would like to see other things allowed to garnish with.....we do not as teams get dictated to how to prepare or cook our food so why should we be dictated to about garnish? if we gotta do the whole garnish thing lets have some fun with it and use our brains a bit by allowing other things to garnish a box with besides parsley...i'm not being an idiot by thinking about this stuff stillsmokin so cut be some slack....you should try the whole thinking thing it really doesnt hurt that much, and if you smell somthing burning when you start to think just ignore it it will go away eventually after you think about other things a couple times

:cop:

Easy ... It was probably a harmless jab you read too much into..

Last edited:
maybe its just me......but seems like every time someone tries to criticize or critique the KCBS's ways they are immediately wrong and this is the way it is if you don't like it go somewhere else....its not always about going somewhere else is you enjoy the place you are at and just want to try and make it better

Back