issues with garnish

I judged a few contest and one reason I take a cooler is I couldn't eat 6 thighs, 6 ribs, 6 samples of beef and 6 samples of pork. I see no sence in wasting the food, so I take it home. Now you dont have to put any garnish in the BOX, just leave it out. And I've seen turn in box's look like the PIC below, so you decide if it should be full of food.
dad.jpg

I judged a few contest and one reason I take a cooler is I couldn't eat 6 thighs, 6 ribs, 6 samples of beef and 6 samples of pork. I see no sence in wasting the food, so I take it home. Now you dont have to put any garnish in the BOX, just leave it out. And I've seen turn in box's look like the PIC below, so you decide if it should be full of food.
dad.jpg

WOW I'm just gonna assume that box got all 9's on appearance lol!

how much money would you have to have to be assured you could bribe 15 judges and how much money would you win if you did?

these questions must be answered.

dad.jpg

thats my bacon box for next week!

where did you get that??
:becky:

While I would be thrilled not the have to do garnish (mine suck) I do them because I want to score higher. If garnish was THAT much of a problem for me, I wouldn't compete in KCBS.

Good discussion and input so far. If you WERE looking to start a flame war, I'm glad no one has taken you up on it.

I just wish Parsley Lady would do my boxes for me when my wife stays home. Ron???

:)

Is it cheating if someone else's wife "does your parsley" while your wife is away?

:shock::eusa_clap

sorry to offend the KCBS apologists but I went to my first contest 2 weeks ago ( I am not a competitor or judge) but my uncle is. I observed the contest and the rules because i am interested in doing competitions and I am trying to understand why have this professional competitions with obvious issues. And thanks for all the "if you don't like KCBS don't do it." that is inspiring and very adult like wawananabooboo

P.S. You know that when America was being colonized and the we were getting taxed out are butts and everyone in America knew it was wrong we stood up and fought for what was right.

P.S. You know that when America was being colonized and the we were getting taxed out are butts and everyone in America knew it was wrong we stood up and fought for what was right.

OK then. If you don't like it, become a KCBS member and take the issue to the BoD. Complaining about it on an anonymous discussion board is not going to accomplish anything. I would strongly recommend however that you rack up a bit more experience than just observing one contest before proceeding.

sorry to offend the KCBS apologists but I went to my first contest 2 weeks ago ( I am not a competitor or judge) but my uncle is. I observed the contest and the rules because i am interested in doing competitions and I am trying to understand why have this professional competitions with obvious issues. And thanks for all the "if you don't like KCBS don't do it." that is inspiring and very adult like wawananabooboo

My response was quite serious. If you dont like KCBS there are plenty of other barbecue sanctioning bodies, and most of them dont allow garnish of any kind. Being from Georgia myself I participate in MBN, FBA, and GBA sanctioned contests. Look around.

The only childish response that I've seen so far is yours above.

It's a contest, with rules. If you want to play the game, play it, but know that it's THEIR game. Play theirs, play someone elses, or make your own sanctioning body with your own rules.

Seriously? Are you saying that YOU are in the position to say that the KCBS is wrong and you are right? And...are you kidding....you liken this issue to the issues that led to the Revolutionary War? Incredible.

But, I agree, if you feel so strongly, work for changing it, not just complaining about it behind some screen name that shows your bias from the git-go.

My suggestion to you is...go get certified, go judge a contest and see that you are way off base when you say that it is easy to buy a win from the judges. just aint gonna happen. there are too many eyes in the judging tent. :cop:

Now pork collars..thats another story!

. . . if portions were controlled and layout of meat in boxes is controlled then there can be no cheating. I am just trying to get rid of unnecessary expenses (cooking tons of food to stuff a box full so I can please an entire judges family or so that judge doesn't have to buy food for a month) . . .

Be rest assured that the % of your overall KCBS comp expenses represented by the extra meat that you may choose to put in a box above and beyond the required 6 pieces is a tiny percentage.

Go do a contest or two, add up your costs, and you'll see that this issue is like a golfer complaining about having to spend 75 cents on a plastic ball marker because he doesn't like the rule that says you have to have something to mark your ball on the green if your ball is on another players line.

Forest for the trees, my friend.

So you're saying that at your first contest you actually got to go into the judges' tent and you talked to all the teams, sniffing out 'obvious issues'? Unlikely. It's more likely your uncle has never won a competition even though he makes 'the best damned barbecue in the state' or something, he's angry at the whole system, and he's taught you not to trust in it. Am I close?

So you're saying that at your first contest you actually got to go into the judges' tent and you talked to all the teams, sniffing out 'obvious issues'? Unlikely. It's more likely your uncle has never won a competition even though he makes 'the best damned barbecue in the state' or something, he's angry at the whole system, and he's taught you not to trust in it. Am I close?

OMG Arlin you are dead right......And you cook bbq too (what a hottie)....I did not know any super psych majors were on this forum ...maybe i should start from the beginning....my father's father's father's father's father competed in kcbs and no one in my family has ever won we have been DAL in ever competition we do....i have been crying for 42 long years praying that the garnish rule would change but it has mocked our family and continue's to mock us to this very day. I made a voe at my my dad's dad's father's death bed that I will go on forums ONLY and stir up sheet with everyone so I am just following my heart. so this is a long fighting struggle with garnish.....ooohhhh nooooo they figured me out.....my cover is blown.....Arlin is a private eye investigator/interrogator....hey Arlin did you pick all that up by the font that I type in? dang your good...

Back