Is it empty yet?

P

PTSidehow

Is it empty yet? they have finally come up with something that works for an easy look and see what is in the propane cylinder. They are on sale everywhere recently. I missed them at the local version of Wally World, Meijers they had them on sale clearance for under $15.99

My dad had seen them there and asked if I could pick one up. For the new grill we got them for his birthday and Fathers day. I had seen them at HF for the last couple of weeks. and at all the stores that sell the BBQ grills and equipment.

Harbor Freights Item # 66940 is $19.99 with the ever present coupon 20% off i picked one up for him and myself.

DSCF9821.jpg

DSCF9823.jpg

This one and all the others all appear to be made in the same factory and about the only thing that is different is the packaging, gauge face style and the price. From a low of $12.99 (they were out didn't know if they could get more. I suspect that they were priced wrong as the store isn't know for deals or low prices.) to a high of $39.99

They appear to be made well and it held pressure in the line, from the bottle to the regulator valve, after the bottle valve was closed.

It beats lifting the bottle if you are getting older, (dad is 85) or the bottle is under the corner shelf that the grill is on the deck.

I never leave pressure on the regulator with the grill shut off, as it can cause problems over time. That why the dial show refill, no gas pressure.
:thumb:

Pretty slick but only a couple of problems The company web site is gone. A number of the big dogs in the propane refill biz, Amerigas for one had put out a service bulletin not to fill any of them.
Despite the safety claims, readers should know the biggest 33 lb. size of this tank had several rupture failers that prompted a recall of 5000 tanks last spring.2008
http://www.lpgasmagazine.com/lpgas/Hot+News/Industry-News/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/435013
The DOT put a suspension temporarily on the provisionary approval for all these tanks but later changed this to apply only to the 33 lb. tanks. You can read the suspension letter and the later modification here:
http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/approvals/exsys.htm
Plus there is a problem with the clearance of items being hooked up due to the way the fence/handle is made and it's size.

It appears that they aren't being sold anymore, Probably lost the DOT approval.

Another idea who's time has come and gone!:doh:

Put soapy water on it, and look for bubbles. And check for warm area's, I'll try to look for the Alton Brown episode that deals in the propane tank testing.

If there is no bubbles it's emtpy ( courtesy of Alton Brown )

its too easy to pick it up and feel for the gas to spend money on that... maybe when I'm 50 I might buy one :laugh:

I just do the two tank shuffle. One on the grill and a full one as back up. Flames go out, tank must be empty. Change it out. Seems that the propane does last a lot longer now that I get lump by the pallet.

I have owned 2 of those gauges and they both leaked like mad, make sure you check them after you install them. I wasted a tank of gas not remembering to turn off my tank right after I installed the first one I got. I found tanks at Costco with the gauge built right into the valve which has been a nice addition.

I have used the in line gauge, the problem is when it reads empty the tank still has about a half of tank of fuel.It takes x amount pressure for the gauge to work once you drop below that mark the gauge turns off the grill and the tank is about half full. My advice is keep a spare tank handy.

I had some of these funky stick on "mood ring" heat sensitive gauges that worked OK when I had my GOSM, but when you get close to an empty tank, condensation builds up and freezes on the outside, so I found it best to have a back up tank.

Back