Is all temperature the same regardless of smoker used ?

I'll throw my 2 cents in.

So I have a WSM with a flower pot base, no water added at all. The one thing notice is that the smoke ring is much more defined in the absense of water.

In alike grills, airflow should not be a factor ASSUMING the temperature is 225. We use airflow to raise and lower that temperature, but once its dialed in, all alike smokers should cook at the same rate. With that said, I could see cookers that have poorer insulation qualities actually requre more heat which would drive more air flow in order to maintain the 225, which might actually cause the convection effect. This is completely counter to what others have said up above about food cooking faster in a WSM vs ECB etc.

I have noticed that I must be much more mindfull of spraying the food I am cooking in order to keep the outside from drying out too much. Wasn't as big of an issue when I used the water pan.

Love the thread, and we learned this lesson the HARD way in a comp. Even my
two different stick burning offset cookers cook very differently at 250. My ribs,
previously dialed in to a 5 minute range, varied and were done literally an hour
quicker in the newer one. In this case, I'm fairly certain it's AIR FLOW difference.
MUCH better air flow in the newer/larger one.

For us, it's like the difference in a regular oven vs. a convection oven. Not
exactly, but close....

I never really thought about it that way before with our Lang, but it makes alot of sense. The reverse flow really does act like a large convection oven.:!:

I think a good way to test would be to take a rack of ribs and cut them in half. Take a boneless pork butt, cut it in half. Take a brisket and cut it in half lengthwise.

Cook one set of halves on a UDS, and the other on another "style" cooker. Offset, pellet pooper, whatever. That way you know the cuts of meat are as similar as they could possibly be.

The biggest drawback would be needing 6 probes.

Instead of meat, with all it's variables, reduce the independent variables and try to heat a homogenous material...I vote for bricks of tofu. All same sized, weight, density, etc. Let's see what heats fastest!

or how about 2 identical pairs of those shorts of yours? they're as gay as tofu.......:cool: :biggrin:

Back