Infrared steak oven

One note about these things, they take some skill to use properly. They put a sear on a steak so fast the interior won't budge in temp. So you have to find a balance between time close to the flame (start out 1-2 inches from the top) and then move it down halfway or more to finish off. I tend to flip my meat multiple times, others complete the sear on one side before flipping. YMMV.

I sometimes use my pellet smoker low and slow for 2+ inch cuts then finish in the Big Horn.

I have used beefer and steak came out great but I still prefer my KK as you get some smoke/wood flavor. I usually do 1000f on lower grate as I like mine black and bleu and I feel like the char has better flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"KK"? Sorry, what is that? Not familiar. Curious as I'd like to find something that can produce something close to black n blue with some flavor.

"KK"? Sorry, what is that? Not familiar. Curious as I'd like to find something that can produce something close to black n blue with some flavor.

I have a Mr Steak, its probably going to give you the best BnB results of all the small IR units.
This thing kicks serious @$$ for a portable grill. Easy 1 minute char per side with rare inside. I use it a lot for forward sear to get a nice au jus with med rare inside with my warmer.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mr-steak-2-burner-infrared-portable-grill

Last edited:
I have a Mr Steak, its probably going to give you the best BnB results of all the small IR units.
This thing kicks serious @$$ for a portable grill. Easy 1 minute char per side with rare inside. I use it a lot for forward sear to get a nice au jus with med rare inside with my warmer.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mr-steak-2-burner-infrared-portable-grill

Only "problem" with the Mr Steak is it's not a broiler. IR grills work better upside down. Same heat without the flare-ups and nasty grill marks.

These things are great, but so limited in size. If I was looking, I’d likely get a shwank also. Seems more sturdy and more polished. That said, I like my results from my weber summit kamado or the cowboy firebox on my workhorse. These ir cookers are super cool though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are there ANY of these units that are suitable for indoor use?

Yeah, but they're expensive.

My Bluestar range has one built in. It's the same ceramic heating element but larger, so technically I don't see why you couldn't use the portable ones inside. But I still wouldn't b/c -

1) It's going to make a mess on your counters and release a lot of vaporized grease and smoke into your kitchen.

2) Like I said earlier, an insane amount of heat pours out of them. In the winter it might not be so bad, but it's going to heat your kitchen up quick.

3) I'm not a informed enough to know if there's a carbon monoxide risk with these units.

Last edited:
Back