What is YOUR #1 preferred method for searing steak (beef in general)?

ynK0VE9.jpg

koK3yqZ.jpg

L7bMp3i.jpg

That might be the best pic on here. Flame thrower char broiling! Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Be still my heart [emoji7]

$19.99 at Harbor Freight. It's a Hoot! Guaranteed to sear and not cook. Of course it may take some practice. My Dad (God rest his soul) always said "It's the section between the rodhandle and boatseat that count". :becky:

$19.99 at Harbor Freight. It's a Hoot! Guaranteed to sear and not cook. Of course it may take some practice. My Dad (God rest his soul) always said "It's the section between the rodhandle and boatseat that count". :becky:

Seems dual purpose... sear first, and keep people away from your steak second [emoji1306][emoji41]

I need to be clear. I Sous Vide the steaks. The OP ask about searing only.

Speaking of Sous Vide, I bought an Anova a couple of years ago, used it once and sold it. Just didn’t seem my thing at all. I have been seriously rethinking that as more and more guys I know just swear by the method. These days, I am all about convenience and results :)

Speaking of Sous Vide, I bought an Anova a couple of years ago, used it once and sold it. Just didn’t seem my thing at all. I have been seriously rethinking that as more and more guys I know just swear by the method. These days, I am all about convenience and results :)

For filets I think SV is good, but not for ribeyes. The bath doesn't render the fat and the sear isn't long enough to render it enough for my tastes.

Here's a review I did for InkBird. Opened up a new way for us and Beef. Have not done chicken yet.

KenInk is a sponsor here. PM him to see if they have a discount code.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275794

For filets I think SV is good, but not for ribeyes. The bath doesn't render the fat and the sear isn't long enough to render it enough for my tastes.

Yeah I was wondering about that. I ended up Otto’ing the ribeyes last night and due to the short cook time was worried that fat would be inedible. Surprisingly it was rendered pretty well.

SALT,SEAR,remove from heat,REST( several minutes),SEASON, ROAST,to desired internal temp.Best method I have tried.For the sear,I like screaming hot coals or an old cast iron vessel.I am NOT a fan of REVERSE SEAR.Salt is the only seasoning that will not burn.

Another method for a group just standing around grazing is to salt,sear,rest,roast.Then put some EVOO,and other spices and herbs on a cutting board.Place steak on top of oil and seasoning ,cut into bite size pieces and toss with oil mixture.Drink COLD BEER,eat steak and visit.

Indirect/Reverse sear, with the final sear over and very close to hot coals.

Tomahawk Ribeye:

DSC_0793_zpsoqpupouu.jpg

DSC_0796_zpsa4cocygy.jpg

DSC_0797D_zpsdherjzbx.jpg

Tri-Tip:

DSC_3462_zpsjmqlkoxt.jpg

DSC_3464_zpsk2ofi6ws.jpg

DSC_3467_zpswvo7irtr.jpg

SALT,SEAR,remove from heat,REST( several minutes),SEASON, ROAST,to desired internal temp.Best method I have tried.For the sear,I like screaming hot coals or an old cast iron vessel.I am NOT a fan of REVERSE SEAR.Salt is the only seasoning that will not burn.

Another method for a group just standing around grazing is to salt,sear,rest,roast.Then put some EVOO,and other spices and herbs on a cutting board.Place steak on top of oil and seasoning ,cut into bite size pieces and toss with oil mixture.Drink COLD BEER,eat steak and visit.

Your preferred method is my preferred. I have done a lot of reverse searing, but I tend to get more consistent results w/ the forward sear.

Otto Wilde has not disappointed! It's a great compliment to the MAK and now I no longer have to wait for the grill to reach searing temp after a reverse sear cook. Dinner time is more predictable and I have a lesser chance of overcooking the food. If MAK would come out with an OFB option (in lieu of the cold smoker box) it would be a killer combo.

Back