I need a rib coach for comp style spares

Your rib scores show at least three 7's for appearance, post some pics maybe we'll see something on presentation.

sign up for a good class being taught by someone that is having success on the comp circuit.
Its hard to beat a good class taught by a good instructor. Try to find one that includes you cooking along with the instructor
I think Chris Hart from iCue may be doing one in our area sometime over the winter. If so, I will see you there. You stop in Newark and I will CL up some entertainment...:twisted:

OC-

My 2cents. I don't think the mustard is hurting, stick with that. Keep the salt if the rub doesn't have any, but rub 10-30 minutes prior to going on the cooker. Use 2 woods, maybe hickory and apple with a 50/50 ratio. Ditch the apple juice spray entirely. Put the sauce on the last 30 minutes or so, I think your putting it on too early. Cook them till the rack bends but doesn't crack or break when you pick them up with tongs.

And, experiment, experiment, experiment.

Don't know how much this will help but I would start with the 3-2-1 method on the ribs and adjust your cooking time from there based on how they turn out. I use apple wood mixed with a little Hickory for comps. I would try changing up the rub or the sauce and see if that makes a difference with the flavor profile maybe they aren't meshing well together.

Another thing to consider would be switching to Babybacks they are what I use for comps because they suit my cooking style maybe they will do better for you.

I think Chris Hart from iQue may be doing one in our area sometime over the winter.

Yup, I'm working with Phil on a cooking class that looks like we'll do in combination with a KCBS judge certification class. Somewhere in the NYC/Long Island area in early 09. I'll be demo-ing my full procedure for a KCBS contest. Also will work hands-on with students who want to run a cook on their own equipment. We'll have segments on Chefs Choice/Grilling and possibly Catering 101.

Comp style spares and bite-through chicken skin will be covered :)

'class'

i-que... Sounds great! Tell You What -- You Tell Me When!!

Thanks.

OC---I KNOW you guys practice... I was being cranky last nite. I'm envious -- I don't SMOKE during DEER season. Seems them critters seem to equate the 'subtle blue smoke smell' with their A$S err...RUMP... wrapped in BACON surrounded by LOW & SLOW!

Yup, I'm working with Phil on a cooking class that looks like we'll do in combination with a KCBS judge certification class. Somewhere in the NYC/Long Island area in early 09. I'll be demo-ing my full procedure for a KCBS contest. Also will work hands-on with students who want to run a cook on their own equipment. We'll have segments on Chefs Choice/Grilling and possibly Catering 101.

Comp style spares and bite-through chicken skin will be covered :)

Sounds great!! Count me in please...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

here are some of our ribs, how does the meat look forget the presentation, the box was not done

what do you think

Last edited:
thanks they must taste like chit with the scores they got

doubt that one.. but they do look good. i am sure you did some re arranging with the ribs before you turned it in but they do look nice..

very nice color, look alike and just plain ol good!! man i wish i could suck on some of them!!

I heard you can suuck the meat right off the bone in one shot

Back