I need a rib coach for comp style spares

Maybe you should of listened to me last week and retired from comp cooking:tongue:

maybe sled really won because he was thinking of me all weekend!!!

cant get me out of your mind eh?!? lol :lol:

OC I am saying that a good average rib probably wont get you a top 10. They need to be 9s - excellent. Many of the teams are turning in above average slabs anyhow. We used to make 27th place ribs, so i have a handle on what you are doing since I have cooked many just OK ribs and finally started cooking some better product. We owe it all to research on forums & practice. When I say research that doesnt mean using a recipe straight out of a book. We throw in some ideas of our own and hope what we do will make our boxes better then everyone elses.
I cant explain things very well sometimes but I tried.

I personally haven't bought a bottle of mustard in 4 years. Mustard makes a great barrier for the rub not to soak in the meat.. IMO.

We rub ours about 10 minutes before they go on the cooker. At least 3 firsts this year and 6th at the Jack. So yeah 30 minutes is plenty in my opinion.

and you've gotten first at the jack in ribs a couple of years ago:razz:.. I like to set mine out for a bit longer than 10 minutes, until the ribs look wet and the rub looks well attached.

OC I am saying that a good average rib probably wont get you a top 10. They need to be 9s - excellent. Many of the teams are turning in above average slabs anyhow. We used to make 27th place ribs, so i have a handle on what you are doing since I have cooked many just OK ribs and finally started cooking some better product. We owe it all to research on forums & practice. When I say research that doesnt mean using a recipe straight out of a book. We throw in some ideas of our own and hope what we do will make our boxes better then everyone elses.
I cant explain things very well sometimes but I tried.

I hear ya now. I am trying to put together some good stuff but I hear so many different things from what you are saying to be very simple and you will do better. So to me it makes me feel like it is a crap shoot. I know its not but until I perfect something that works, I will be confused. Do they want flavorful, some say yes some say no, do they want spicy some say yes some say no, do they want sweet everyone says yes. To many mixed idea when it comes to ribs. I think imo that this is the most of all subjective category. Please don't yell at me.

I tried horseradish mustard once. For real. I just had to know. Now i know.

OC we turn in what we think taste good and hope that the whole table agrees with us. Stupid maybe, but that is one of our policies.

We've only completed 2 comps but we placed 4th in ribs both times. However, I've been cooking ribs a while. This is what I do. Rub the ribs about 2 hours prior to smoking. Smoke for 3 hours (no spray, no looking). Wrap in foil for 1.5 - 2.0 hours. Unwrap, glaze and smoke until done. I use the bend and touch method to determine doneness. I smoke with pure hickory. I've kept it quite simple and it seems to work quite well. I think our presentation has hurt us though! Also, I do practice cooks with different rubs and glazes to try different flavor profiles.

Do they want flavorful, some say yes some say no, do they want spicy some say yes some say no, do they want sweet everyone says yes. To many mixed idea when it comes to ribs. I think imo that this is the most of all subjective category. Please don't yell at me.

I've talked to judges and chefs and asked what they think makes a great rib. I get the same response. Flavor profiles! A good balance of flavors. Nothing dominates (ie smoke, spiciness, sweetness, etc) but they all work together. I know its somewhat vague, but it does make sense.

I've talked to judges and chefs and asked what they think makes a great rib. I get the same response. Flavor profiles! A good balance of flavors. Nothing dominates (ie smoke, spiciness, sweetness, etc) but they all work together. I know its somewhat vague, but it does make sense.

That is a great answer.:eusa_clap

Everybody seems to say the same thing basic is the best when it comes to bbq

Everybody seems to say the same thing basic is the best when it comes to bbq

For a comp yes, for the most part. You dont want to overpower the meat with either the sauce or the rub.

Now for my personal eats, I like the spicy stuff and that is when I use the spicy rub and try other things.

For a Comp I was once told by a very wise man that consistency is the key.

The other thing that gets me is these judges.How do you get bad scores from some and all the others give you give scores

Subjective

The other thing that gets me is these judges.How do you get bad scores from some and all the others give you give scores

OC, QYBA!! (QUITYERBELLYACHIN'!) :wink: Get out and cook!

It's 'SMOKE' and it's SUBJECTIVE. It ain't science (well sorta) and the judges will NEVER be uniform. KCBS 'training' does not negate subjectivity.

This IS supposed to be fun...sometimes.:icon_pissed

The low score is dropped, they keep the high score, believe it or not, it seems to work.:wink: Now, if you get two low scores, dropping one helps a little, but it also tells you something, at least in my humble opinion. Make adjustments and try to improve.:-D

When I look at our scores, I drop the low and the high to try and get a real feel of what the majority thought.Then move on from there.

It is official Mike - you are addicted to the site. I am surprised they didn't tell you to get over to cattle call and introduce yourself. They must think you are me! You better get over there before Jorge gets you!!!!!

Back