I have decided to run

I know I am new on here but I also wish you good luck Thom. I as well wouldn't want the undertaking but as many of the Brethren that say you are the man then you have my support as well.

For whatever it is worth, consider this my public endorsement and support for Thom as KCBS BOD member. He has the necessary passion for BBQ as a craft, a sport, and a lifestyle. Thom is connected with membership both within his own region and nationally. I believe Thom will work to find solutions that work for the greater membership and not a specific faction.

Thom has my vote and I pray that he'll have yours as well.

Maybe :)
My hope being a member would be something all our comp cooks would see as valuable

FWIW, I was a member and I let my membership slip by accident. What I have found is that I haven't noticed any difference between being a member and not being a member. This may be due to the fact that I only cook in 8-9 comps per year.
Maybe you (Thom) could fill me in on what you see as the benefits of belonging to KCBS?

FWIW, I was a member and I let my membership slip by accident. What I have found is that I haven't noticed any difference between being a member and not being a member. This may be due to the fact that I only cook in 8-9 comps per year.
Maybe you (Thom) could fill me in on what you see as the benefits of belonging to KCBS?

Other than a few programs such as the Sams Club
membership discounts there is one primary reason to belong.
It is the right thing to do
if you really believe in our sport and want
it to continue, belonging to the largest national sanctioning body of that
sport seems logical. To ensure the future of BBQ.

Nate when someone says to you " Hey I believe.... I do not need church
I can just do my own thing and be fine"
I would think as a Pastor you may not agree with him.
You probably would share the benefits of healthy church life :) with him.

Now I am NOT equating KCBS membership with Church membership
:) the KCBS cook is probably more dedicated :) to the cause
That is a joke sorry if it offended anyone

BBQ is growing and sanctioning bodies are important to that healthy growth
I have heard stories of the old days of "Bubba Ques"
where Bubba goin ta win cause he my Bro In Law
We need a healthy KCBS for the future of the sport

Just need to work on that healthy part some right now.

I hear what you are saying, Thom. And I also want to stress that my response is not about you, but rather about how I see KCBS right now.

You mention those who feel that they can live without church in their lives. My thinking is that unless a church is fulfilling its mission to reach out to the world then maybe it's not such a bad thing that people don't come. Just because it's a church doesn't make it holy - and I suspect we agree on that point. :thumb:

In the same respect, unless I can see something about KCBS that makes me believe I am part of an institution that is actually making a positive impact then maybe it's not such a bad thing to stay on the margins.

From my perspective the only thing that KCBS does for me is provide a sanctioning body for comps. For my part, I pay to attend those comps so I see that as my contribution to the cause. Can you educate me about the other things KCBS does that make an impact on the world of BBQ? If not, what will you do to move KCBS in the right direction so that it actually is a benefit to me and others to pay above and beyond what we already pay at comps?

Thanks for your time, Thom. I am really not trying to put YOU on the defensive. I suspect that you will be part of the solution - if there is one.

There is always a chance that, like many folks who attend church, I am just impossible to please!! :becky::thumb::heh:

Didn't I hear that Reps were supposed to be checking judges for thier KCBS ID's to ensure they were current?

You have my vote Thom!
Based on what I heard during the last BoD meeting, the Reps were being questioned as to why the CBJ's had to have a current membership. It is to the point that they are talking about dropping the question of membership verification completly (see my post.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1429306&postcount=16)

If you would like I think I can find the point where Ed is discussing this point in the audio.

I hear what you are saying, Thom. And I also want to stress that my response is not about you, but rather about how I see KCBS right now.

You mention those who feel that they can live without church in their lives. My thinking is that unless a church is fulfilling its mission to reach out to the world then maybe it's not such a bad thing that people don't come. Just because it's a church doesn't make it holy - and I suspect we agree on that point. :thumb:

In the same respect, unless I can see something about KCBS that makes me believe I am part of an institution that is actually making a positive impact then maybe it's not such a bad thing to stay on the margins.

From my perspective the only thing that KCBS does for me is provide a sanctioning body for comps. For my part, I pay to attend those comps so I see that as my contribution to the cause. Can you educate me about the other things KCBS does that make an impact on the world of BBQ? If not, what will you do to move KCBS in the right direction so that it actually is a benefit to me and others to pay above and beyond what we already pay at comps?

Thanks for your time, Thom. I am really not trying to put YOU on the defensive. I suspect that you will be part of the solution - if there is one.

There is always a chance that, like many folks who attend church, I am just impossible to please!! :becky::thumb::heh:

Nate Yes I will build upon the answer this weekend
And yes we do agree if the place aint healthy,
why would I want to be a part of it?

Best of luck to you, brother. From what I read, I think you have what it takes to lead the charge for change in the KCBS BOD. It's time for the KCBS to evolve into a functional, professional trade association serving to the benefit of all of its constituents - cooks, judges, contest organizers, backyard enthusiasts and the BBQ eatin' public.

I am so happy to hear this!
Best of Luck Thom... you've got my vote fer sure!

Back