I hate chicken

Okay, I found out what I hate worse than trimming chicken:

trimming chicken in 30 degrees with 20mph wind.

chickensicles.jpg

I really HATE chicken

OK so this last weekend in Osage, I pretty much thought our chicken was good, not the best but good. My box looked good, every thigh was uniform in color shape and texture and my skin was bite through. Both me and Randy thought the chicken tasted good, it had good flavor, tender and juicy.

I expected to be in at least the top half, but wow the judges just didn't like it. I ended up finishing 51 out of 69 teams.

In fact one judge actually gave me a 2 (which is basically inedible), but what I couldn't understand is the judge right next to him gave me a 9. What the hell is up with that...The rest of the judges gave me 6,7,and 8 I believe. In fact not only did I receive a 2, but that was basically the worst single judge score of any chicken turn-in!

I know I shouldn't take it personally, but it's hard not too...I know the chicken wasn't THAT bad...

I guess I'll try again in a couple weeks and hope those judges like my chicken better...

OK so this last weekend in Osage, I pretty much thought our chicken was good, not the best but good. My box looked good, every thigh was uniform in color shape and texture and my skin was bite through. Both me and Randy thought the chicken tasted good, it had good flavor, tender and juicy.

I expected to be in at least the top half, but wow the judges just didn't like it. I ended up finishing 51 out of 69 teams.

In fact one judge actually gave me a 2 (which is basically inedible), but what I couldn't understand is the judge right next to him gave me a 9. What the hell is up with that...The rest of the judges gave me 6,7,and 8 I believe. In fact not only did I receive a 2, but that was basically the worst single judge score of any chicken turn-in!

I know I shouldn't take it personally, but it's hard not too...I know the chicken wasn't THAT bad...

I guess I'll try again in a couple weeks and hope those judges like my chicken better...

I was not happy with my chicken at Osage City. Gave up tons of appearance points... or so I thought. Until I got called for 2nd place!

I was not happy with my chicken at Osage City. Gave up tons of appearance points... or so I thought. Until I got called for 2nd place!

That was awesome Jeff...Congratulations!!!!

BTW..Congrats to Tammy too...I told you guys I thought that dessert was good!

I would be tracking down the rep and getting more clarification there. I realize individual pieces can vary more than like pork, but you have to have one incredibly horrible piece of chicken for that.

I would be tracking down the rep and getting more clarification there. I realize individual pieces can vary more than like pork, but you have to have one incredibly horrible piece of chicken for that.

I wish i would have thought of that when we were there..I was just so pissed off all i wanted to do was leave..

I'm almost over it, so I'll try again in a couple weeks..

I wish i would have thought of that when we were there..I was just so pissed off all i wanted to do was leave..
Been there done that... I know it's not easy, but you have to shake it off.

I'm almost over it, so I'll try again in a couple weeks..
I wouldn't change anything... Give it to the new set of judges the same as the last set... Don't ask me how I know, I just do....

I agree. We never taste our chicken although we should. We don't do anything special either nor do we do it the same at every contest. Or practice. Having said that, chicken has been good to us...
Nancee

I hate chicken too. Every time I touch a raw chicken thigh, I have to fight the urge to hurl.
Signed,
A Few Dozen Practices Too Many

After hearing a few stories, it sounds like Judging was all over the place in this comp...Just going to chalk it up to bad luck..

thanks everyone...J

What internal temp do you try to reach before pulling your chicken off the smoker/grill?

I've read anywhere from 150 - 180 (rubber) online. I try to pull at 165, but it seems to very as I move around the thermopen. If I get a 165 reading in one part of the thigh and a reading of 160 in another part - would you consider it done or keep cooking?

And yes it's true - I hate chicken too.

What internal temp do you try to reach before pulling your chicken off the smoker/grill?

I've read anywhere from 150 - 180 (rubber) online. I try to pull at 165, but it seems to very as I move around the thermopen. If I get a 165 reading in one part of the thigh and a reading of 160 in another part - would you consider it done or keep cooking?

And yes it's true - I hate chicken too.

I wouldn't know what to tell you, Bob. I only pierce a thigh once. Hate to lose all the juices. If it reads 165 in that one piercing, it comes off the heat.

What if it doesn't say 165? You repierce the skin later?

Nope... just kinda know how long it will be based on the temp and how hot the fire is. I usually don't ever get them pierced until they're really close or over anyway. Call it bad planning! :lol: It's usually an "Oh fark! I forgot to check the chicken temps!"

I wouldn't know what to tell you, Bob. I only pierce a thigh once. Hate to lose all the juices. If it reads 165 in that one piercing, it comes off the heat.

Jeff contact the Health Dept dude you became good friends with at Pleasant Hill, maybe he would let you use that infrared thermometer he had! Thats way no piercing is involved! :)

So that brings up a pretty good point...When is chicken actually DONE. I've been dealing with some rubbery chicken lately and I always thought it was because it wasn't cooked enough, but after some googling it seems that chicken turns rubbery when it's cook TOO much!

So that brings up a pretty good point...When is chicken actually DONE. I've been dealing with some rubbery chicken lately and I always thought it was because it wasn't cooked enough, but after some googling it seems that chicken turns rubbery when it's cook TOO much!
That makes 2 of us! 165 is about as low as one should go to be safe correct?

Back