Chicken-parts brine (wet-dry), inject, too salty!?!?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello Brethren,

This is a follow up to a previous thread about grilling chicken tips. I did an experimental cook w/ chicken thighs and breast. I did them a variety of combinations of dry brine, wet brine, inject, various rubs etc..

They all came out way too salty, & I like salt. I used Meat Church Bird Baptism turkey brine mix, Meat Church T Bird chicken injection and a variety of rubs.

I've got a bg cook coming up and I'd like to grill flavorful juicy chicken parts.

How would you recommend doing this so it doesn't come out so salty tasing?

Thanks in advance!
JD

I use a dry brine on my Turkey- Harvest Brine sold by Naturiffic- really good. For my chicken thighs I use a wet brine from ThirdEye. It is a lite brine and I cut the salt in 1/2 Chicken comes out amazing- I add a bay leaf, old bay seasoning and some honey to the brine Check out his Blog- I play with smoke and fire and click recipes- Great info
Use to live in Phoenixville JD and my wife went to nursing school at Chester County Hosp

I don’t know all the answers since I don’t brine often and have never injected, but a few things come to mind. First, how long did you wet brine for? When doing chicken pieces, I usually only wet brine for an hour, if you wet brined for much longer that could be the problem. Second, John/sirporkalot used to say that there was no need to season after using his dry brine, and most who did season after using the dry brine would rinse the bird before adding additional rub.

I hope this helps.

For any and all Chicken, I use 3/4c Kosher Salt and 3/4c Sugar to 1qt Water proportions for brining.

If they're going in the oven or the smoker, I brine 50 to 60 minutes.
If they're going on the grill, I brine 40 to 50 minutes.

After that, I use salt-free Rubs only for seasoning.

I just apply a liberal coating of kosher salt and let it sit 12-24 hours and call it good. I also think it’s possible to overcomplicate things to the extent that you’re so wrapped up in the process of layering all these different treatments and flavors that the most important part - well executed cooking - gets missed.

Choose one of the brine or injection methods that suits your desired end result, and just use that one method.

If you have dry or wet brined already, there is no need to also inject anything.

If you plan on injecting something, there would be no reason to also brine.

No matter which methods you use, make note of how much salt has already been applied, and account for it when you add any rub. This way you will be less likely to end up with an oversalted end result.

Lots of us prefer lower salt, or even no salt rubs and seasoning mixes for that reason.

If you are wet or dry brining, it does help to rinse any excess off before cooking, but I think it's better to simply not apply any more salt than you would want to eat in the first place.

Keep experimenting and you'll find a method that works for you.

Keep notes, and maybe measure your salt so can keep track of how much was added and how it turned out.

Last edited:
I use a wet brine of 5% salt, 3% sugar. 24 hours for a whole chicken. 12 hours for a breast. Just buy a scale and use salt and sugar if want to wet brine. It's a better way to know exactly what and what proportions you are using. The rest of the ingredients the commercial brines won't be infused (or defused) into the chicken interior and will remain on the surface. This is what commercial kitchens do.

Rob

You either brine, dry brine, inject, or season with salt afterwards, not a combination of any. If brining in saline solution, keep it to 5% salt by weight or less. If brining whole chickens, 12h is fine; if brining pieces, 4 to 8h is better. If you're dry brining, just season the pieces or the bird as you would normally. Injections I'm not familiar with. Once you're ready to cook, only season with things that have NO salt at all (eg: pepper, garlic powder, paprika, etc.)

You may also add 3-5% in brown sugar and 2% cider vinegar to your brine for different flavor profiles. Note: all these percentages are by weight and calculated on the amount of water

I use a wet brine of 5% salt, 3% sugar. 24 hours for a whole chicken. 12 hours for a breast. Just buy a scale and use salt and sugar if want to wet brine. It's a better way to know exactly what and what proportions you are using. The rest of the ingredients the commercial brines won't be infused (or defused) into the chicken interior and will remain on the surface. This is what commercial kitchens do.

Rob

You either brine, dry brine, inject, or season with salt afterwards, not a combination of any. If brining in saline solution, keep it to 5% salt by weight or less. If brining whole chickens, 12h is fine; if brining pieces, 4 to 8h is better. If you're dry brining, just season the pieces or the bird as you would normally. Injections I'm not familiar with. Once you're ready to cook, only season with things that have NO salt at all (eg: pepper, garlic powder, paprika, etc.)

You may also add 3-5% in brown sugar and 2% cider vinegar to your brine for different flavor profiles. Note: all these percentages are by weight and calculated on the amount of water

Naturiffic Dry brine is all we use now.... Very simple and works perfect every time!!!!!

Thank folks,
I agree, dry, wet or inject regarding salt.
Thanks for the tips!
JD

I use SuckleBuster's Area 51 Bird Brine to great success - turkeys, chicken, and Cornish hens. It's great on the savory, with no salty take at all.

Back