Howdy from TX

al_pastor

Knows what a fatty is.
My name is Steve and I enjoy cooking on my WSM 22.5". I also have a Charbroil gasser, but rarely use it. I tend to prefer smoking over grilling as the speed of grilling provides me less time to react and recover from mistakes. But I would like to improve my grilling in the future.

I used to smoke more often, but I got too heavy and focused my efforts on diet and exercise for a while. Then, I got a couple malignant tumors. I have completed my chemo and radiation and should be fine. But, the radiation has temporarily made me unable to eat. I guess it has been about 5 weeks since I have eaten anything. All my nutrition comes via a feeding tube attached directly to my stomach. Because of this, I am OBSESSED with thinking about food. Since I am pretty much home bound I watch a lot of tv. The only 2 shows I like to watch right now are food related shows (food network or cooking channel) or survival shows like naked and afraid where people are starving to death. The human mind is so interesting!

While I watch I surf for recipes I want to make. Lately my interests have been outdoor wok cooking over chimney starter or banjo burner, campfire dutch oven cooking (just bought lodge 12"), rotisserie cooking (just ordered the cajun bandit rotissirie for my WSM), al pastor tacos, and regional/ethnic kebab styles.

Of course I have read topics on the brethren site while researching food in the past, but never was motivated to join the forum. I figured now was as good a time as any.

For kicks I will post the list of things I want to make when I am able to eat again. You can get a feel for what I am talking about.

Nice to meet you guys and girls, look forward to seeing your Q.

Steve

Recipes want to make

Sinaloa chicken corn blackbean relish bobby flay
Goat curry roti
Jerk ribs
Pastrami
Corned beef
Brisket
Burnt ends tacos
Ground nut stew (maafe)
Leg of lamb on string
Schwenkbraten
Picahna
Argentinian bbq
Souvlaki
Satay
Bulgogi
Char siu
Smoked frog legs
Singapore noodles from serious eats with char siu from meathead
7 layer buffalo chicken dip
Easy creamy chicken enchilada soup
Smoked turkey tails
Malasadas
Kalbi
Plate lunch macaroni salad
Loco moco
Cuban arroz con pollo
Chicken cacciatori
Cioppino rosso
Pork tenderloin sammy
Cuban sandwich
Bobby flay jerk rack of pork
Asopao
Biscuits and gravy
French dip au jus
Cheesy bacon corn dip (from delish)
Philly chesesteak
Cottage pie
Butter chicken
Chicken parmesan
Pressure cooker green pork chili
Serious eats cashew chicken
Se buddha delight
Se crispy tofu with broccoli
Adana kebab se
Se fried rice
Tacos al pastor
Phat phrik king se
Peruvian chicken
Huli huli chicken
Jerk chicken
Peri peri chicken
Pernil asado
Yang rou chuan
Kabab barg
Kabab koobideh
Pinchos morunos
Espetadas
Chicken tikka
Smoked balogna sandwich
Guys seoul-ful ribs and rice

Steve, welcome to the forum, also wishing you a complete and full rcovery including your ability to enjoy eating again.

Nice list.

We just made like 5# of bulgogi last weekend.

Love that stuff, love it.

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to the forum Steve, glad to have you join us and hopefully take part in the other forums.

We don't have a lot of rules here other than spam and advertising are not permitted, the rest is just common sense, courtesy, and mutual respect for one another.

You'll find a great group of people here with a willingness to help and guide you, regardless of of how simple or how complicated you think your question may be. You'll also find that there are many ways to achieve great food, there is no single "cookie cutter" method as some have been conditioned to think. You'll just have to try a few different methods and soon you'll master the way that works best for you.

We'll be here to guide you and answer your questions as you begin your journey into smoking and BBQ. Pretty soon you'll go from asking questions to posting pictures of your progress, and we will all share in your experience as true Brethren.

We have many different forums here.... Below are just a few of them.

For discussion on BBQ/Smoking related topics, we have the "Q-Talk" Forum. This is a good starting point for all new Brethren.

For those who are interested in competing, We have a "Competition BBQ" forum.

We also have a "Catering, Food Handling and Awareness" and "Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses".

We also have a trading forum where members can trade sauces and rubs available from different areas around our country.

For general non BBQ related talk we also have "The Wood Pile" forum.

I hope to see you in the "Q-Talk" forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about a specific topic, just start a new thread in the related forum.

There are many members with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and share their knowledge to guide you in the right direction. Collectively there is a wealth of experience and knowledge among the membership, including you. Don't be afraid to jump in there and share your knowledge and your experiences as well.

Back