THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

warm it to soften the grease and scrape it with something to knock it loose. I just replaced a Weber brush after 7Y.

Foil ball leaves little bits of aluminum behind and I don't like that.
different strokes

I've heard oven cleaner sprayed on and then place the grates in a trash bag in the sun. Wait a bit and rinse off. I cook in pans though so my grates stay relatively clean.

I have a galvanized tub from Home depot, I pour a little orange cleaner in it, fill with water.
Remove 22" round grates, spray with Members Mark Oven, Grill Fryer cleaner, let soak. Toss in the tub for a day or two.
Remove grates and scrub with Scotch Brite Heavy Duty pad or stainless steel scrub pad, rinse. Good as new.

I take a similar approach, but I use a large plastic tub and regular dish washing soap like Dawn.

Let them soak and sometimes can just wipe them clean with a dish cloth. For stubborn areas, I still use the soap and water soaking and use a Scotch Brite SS scouring pad.

I've never had an issue keeping my grates crud free. I spray canola oil on them before and after each cook. When warming the smoker or grill and the temps get to the mid 200's or low 300's I run my grill brush over them and everything falls off. I think over the years of doing this my grates are pretty much seasoned like a cast-iron skillet.

I stopped using the bristle brushes a few years ago and use a steel wool brush now like this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-Steel-Wool-Brush-with-Scraper-530-0018/206406011

Keeping the grates oiled keeps the food from sticking.

Back