How to "clean" smoker grates?

warm it to soften the grease and scrape it with something to knock it loose. I just replaced a Weber brush after 7Y.

Foil ball leaves little bits of aluminum behind and I don't like that.
different strokes

I've heard oven cleaner sprayed on and then place the grates in a trash bag in the sun. Wait a bit and rinse off. I cook in pans though so my grates stay relatively clean.

I have a galvanized tub from Home depot, I pour a little orange cleaner in it, fill with water.
Remove 22" round grates, spray with Members Mark Oven, Grill Fryer cleaner, let soak. Toss in the tub for a day or two.
Remove grates and scrub with Scotch Brite Heavy Duty pad or stainless steel scrub pad, rinse. Good as new.

I take a similar approach, but I use a large plastic tub and regular dish washing soap like Dawn.

Let them soak and sometimes can just wipe them clean with a dish cloth. For stubborn areas, I still use the soap and water soaking and use a Scotch Brite SS scouring pad.

I've never had an issue keeping my grates crud free. I spray canola oil on them before and after each cook. When warming the smoker or grill and the temps get to the mid 200's or low 300's I run my grill brush over them and everything falls off. I think over the years of doing this my grates are pretty much seasoned like a cast-iron skillet.

I stopped using the bristle brushes a few years ago and use a steel wool brush now like this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-Steel-Wool-Brush-with-Scraper-530-0018/206406011

Keeping the grates oiled keeps the food from sticking.

Back