How do you clean smoker and grates

Taxdr1965

Found some matches.
Trying to figure out the best way to clean the grates and the whole smoker. Would like to get it nice and clean then reseals on it.

Oven cleaner?

Prsssure washer?

Steam cleaner?

Simply green?

Scraper and steel wool?

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions; I use a BBQ spray cleaner for my gasser and I'm not sure if I think it works as well as I'd like.

If I'm trying to get it really clean,
I pull the grates out of the smoker,
Spray them off with the hose and nozzle, "under pressure"
Then lightly scrub them with crumpled up Reynolds wrap and or BBQ brush.
Spray again.
I never use cleaners, it took too long to season the grates,
When finished, just heat them up in the smoker with your favorite oil, canola, Pam etc

500,000 BTU propane weed burner. Water/steam. Scrapers/steel scrubbers where necessary. Lightly oil and heat to re-season.

I used a weed burner on the grates and some of the worst parts of my cabinet until it died. Now I use a Cajun Dragon to burn off the gunk and a quality stainless wire brush to knock off the burnt carbon. No chemicals of any kind ever see the inside of any of my cookers.

I leave the grates in the cooker after the food has been removed and raise the temperature. Then clean with a light brushing and everything just falls off leaving them cleaned and seasoned.

Wooden paint stick for the kettle bowl and lid, as for the grates,
Working_zps7c01e974.jpg

Grillcleaning_zpsf56bb71a.jpg

then the stir stick while the grate is hot.

I brush/scrape while still hot, and if they get very bad I put them in a large garbage bag, spray with oven cleaner, and let them sit overnight. Then I brush it need and rinse throughly.

I've used the dog method in the past :becky:

No problem with loose wire bristles, it doesn't strip the non-stick coating, and it keeps them busy. On top of that, both the grates from the grills in my signature are still in great shape. I often wonder if over cleaning is responsible for the need to replace grates I read about.
rack_zps0c27acde.jpg

2nd%20grate_zpsq4eumaak.jpg

I use this gadget. Believe it or not, it works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 8.59.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 8.59.42 AM.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 62
another vote for the judicious use weed burner- then take a balled up wad of foil and take care of the resulting carbon. Followed by oiled up paper towel. Has worked so far.

Heat my smoker up to 350 and hit it with my pressure washer. Steam is a great cleaner.

Back