How do you guys thin the herd?

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
Ok so I think I have so many grills and smokers that it is time to thin the herd. How do you choose what ones to let go? What criteria do you have to decide what to keep and what to let go? I am letting go of the traeger pellet grill maybe. It seems like a nice grill and smoker but fuel is expensive and I don't have a close supplier and bulk orders are just not feasable. While it is nice I think maybe a guru on my kamado would serve me just as well. I haven't cooked on it since last summer more than once. I don't really use a majority of my kettles anymore. I probably keep 2 of them an 18.5" my very first grill and a 22.5" which can go once I have a big enough kamado for a large turkey. It only sees use at thanksgiving. I feel bad letting some of these go but the kamado does it all and the WSM 14.5" fits my competition needs in the backyard division very nicely. Once I figured out how to run it and keep the ash from building up by using lump charcoal it is a very nice smoker. That is my thoughts but what do you do to thin your herd? To expand I feel that I need to let some of the older stuff go.

agree....give up the one you never use....also if there is rule of give one up to get one I just hope there isn't the stipulation of "one of equal or lesser value". Think about how nice a pit you can end up with by trading up every year :)

agree....give up the one you never use....also if there is rule of give one up to get one I just hope there isn't the stipulation of "one of equal or lesser value". Think about how nice a pit you can end up with by trading up every year :)

That's the thing my most expensive pit is the one that gets no use due to high fuel cost. I prefer my kamado which I got on sale. I never listed on the brethren any of my old pits as I have kept them. So maybe it's time to let go of a few and get an upgrade at some point.

It's a disease, I tell you. I bought a BLUE OTG - because it was blue - never used it, cause I bought a Performer and use that and my Smokey Joe most.
Just bought a Summit gasser to re-build - I know I won't use it, b - b -b -b
but it was only $100.
I have 4 - 22's, an -18, a jumbo, a smokey, a Genesis silver b, a Summit 450 and a UDS. I even shake my head when I walk past, not to mention my wife (soon ex?)
I need to get rid of 3 or 4 or 5.

For me it would not be what you don't have a use for. Then again, that is easy for me to say....as I sit here thinking about my RF build I will be getting started on here soon..have an XLBGE and a UDS already.....and a MES40...

It's a disease, I tell you. I bought a BLUE OTG - because it was blue - never used it, cause I bought a Performer and use that and my Smokey Joe most.
but it was only $100.
I have 4 - 22's, an -18, a jumbo, a smokey, a Genesis silver b, a Summit 450 and a UDS. I even shake my head when I walk past, not to mention my wife (soon ex?)

Ain't that the truth. I have one in my master bedroom. My wife loves that ...NOT!
Just running out of room.

They rust into the ground. Just built UDS 2.0 after 8+ years of service. 1.0 is smoked... Literally

Its hard but as long as you get to put it back into more toys you'll use more then its a no brainer. If the traeger doesn't do anything the kamado can't why keep it around?

I've got a few out on loan. If the folks that are using them just have to have em, we work out a deal. I'm always looking to build another one.

Easy question, get a Shirley. After a few months of owning my RF I sold my Backwoods Extended Party and 22" WSM. Didn't use them anymore. Kept my Weber kettles and PBC though.

I need to let some of mine go to, so I went and added 2 Blackstone Pizza/Patio ovens.:becky:

I'm not allow to go shopping anymore.

but it was only $100.

I'd take that Blue OTG off your hands :heh:

Back