How do you cook your tri-tip?

I use Montreal Steak seasoning and then on the mini-WSM until 130-135 IT, then a reverse sear. Let it rest and slice it up.

My favorite approach so far is a Santa Maria rub, then cook indirect burning mesquite lump and almond wood in the offset.
I cook at a temp of 325-350 until the thermapen reading is right, then rest it.
I don’t sear but I do expose the fat cap to direct heat from the firebox for part of the cook.

I don't have a smoker...yet... So I like to grill mine on a charcoal grill. I like to season it with black pepper and some garlic powder with a dash of kosher salt. Then I toss it over high heat and, depending on the thickness, cook it for about 3 minutes on each side. Then I move it over to indirect heat and let it cook until medium rare. I don't really cook according to temp, although I probably should, I just go by how it feels when I poke it.
Same as that ^, with a chunk or two of oak in the charcoal.

Tri-Tip???? They have no idea what that is here in Northern VA. Except for maybe Trader Joes and theirs is very small peices and marinated with something.

Lucky you that found some.

wallace

Wallace,

Costco has been stocking tri-tip in the area for a few months now. I was surprised when I went in this summer and saw it in the meat display.

The cooking method is not so important so long as you don't overcook it, but the MOST important thing and (the most overlooked thing) is to slice it across the grain or else it will likely be too tough to chew and you'll wonder what all the hubbub is about.

Got some just the other day. Cost me $7.99/lb(both about 1.75#) but oh so good. Did mine on the weber kettle 2-zone. No thermo so I seared at first over coals for about 5 mins per side lid off. Judged by color. Moved to cool side and put the lid on for about 1- 1.5 hours, turning once in that time. Came out a little more med than med/rare but still tender and juicy. For seasoning I used 2 parts coarse black pepper, 2 parts gran garlic 1 part k.salt, 1 part coriander,1/2 part- oregano, red pepper flakes, thyme and parsley. Applied heavily. My dad would have loved this cut of meat.

The cooking method is not so important so long as you don't overcook it, but the MOST important thing and (the most overlooked thing) is to slice it across the grain or else it will likely be too tough to chew and you'll wonder what all the hubbub is about.

Absolutely true. Cutting against the grain is the number one rule for tri-tip.

This is my approach:

4 hours before cooking, marinate in red wine with a couple of crushed garlic cloves.

30 minutes before cooking, take out of the marinade, rinse it off, and then rub with:
one part kosher salt
one part paprika
one part garlic powder
1/2 part black pepper
2-3 pinches of cayenne

Let it sit in the rub as it comes to room temperature and you prepare your grill.
Cook it on indirect heat at 275-300 until the internal temperature reaches 125.
Let it rest under foil while you bring your grill up to full heat, and then sear it until it looks delicious. (Couple minutes per side, max.)

Let it rest for 15 minutes, carve it thin against the grain, and serve.

Rub with Rub Co. Santa Maria rub. Rest for at least an hour, preferably overnight. Indirect smoke with red oak until internal 120ish, then sear over direct heat to create crunchy exterior finish IT around 140.

Rub Co. Santa Maria rub. Indirect to about 115-120, remove from the grill. Open all vents and get the kettle cranking hot, sear both sides to about 130. Rest 10 minutes slice across the grain.

I have to say that 140 is way overdone for me. I did 2 yesterday, indirect on a BGE. I had the temp up high for some other things. Reverse seared, nothing but salt and pepper on the meat, took them off at 120. Then I added a basil chimichurri, with about half a cup each of flat leaf parsley and basil, one chopped jalapeño, 2 garlic cloves, s&p, and enough olive oil to allow the herbs to chop up well into a bit of a paste.

No photos (odd of me), but it went over really well.

I have to say that 140 is way overdone for me. I did 2 yesterday, indirect on a BGE. I had the temp up high for some other things. Reverse seared, nothing but salt and pepper on the meat, took them off at 120. Then I added a basil chimichurri, with about half a cup each of flat leaf parsley and basil, one chopped jalapeño, 2 garlic cloves, s&p, and enough olive oil to allow the herbs to chop up well into a bit of a paste.

Jackpot. :thumb:

Wallace,

Costco has been stocking tri-tip in the area for a few months now. I was surprised when I went in this summer and saw it in the meat display.

The closest Costco is in Leesburg, and then next is Sterling. I really haven't checked the meat selection in about 2 months and that was at the Leesburg location. But, this has my interest, big time!

We will be looking this weekend!!!

Thanks a million for the tip; I think I had just gotten so used to NOT finding tri-tip here that I didn't even look.

We have family and friends that live in Santa Barbara and they would bring some out whenever they visited. But, those "visits" were too far in between for me (us, wifey and me). The wife grew up in Santa Barbara, which is where I got introduced to tri-tip some 30 years ago.

Thanks again!!!! We will check it out this weekend for sure.

wallace

Same here, I lived in Ventura, and Santa Barbara in my younger years, and TT was plentiful, and cheap. It's frustrating not having access to it down here in hell. Texas has been a beyotch this summer. Too hot to even consider any outdoor cooks for the past several months.

Just picked up a big tri-tip at the store today. At $2.99/lb you just can't beat it. I usually just do a fairly heavy coat of fresh ground pepper, sea-salt, and garlic. I'll put it directly over the coals for 3-5min per side, then finish indirect. My wife and kids prefer if I cook it to 140*.

Back