Hot n Fast vs regular low n slow

Preference: Hot n Fast vs Low n Slow

• Hot n Fast

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Low n Slow

Votes: 44 60.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder, I always cook brisket between 225-250. Now, i just poked my 10lb brisket (after 8-9 hours on my WSM) and its perfectly tender, what I want, but at only 178 degrees, so i wrapped in foil and put back on, ill wait for it to hit 185-190 and then let it rest (ya think?) So the question: I noticed some red juice come out when I poked, not running clear yet. Would you expect that? What happens when you cook Hot? do you run clear sooner? maybe the question is meaningless, but I was wondering what characteristics one can expect trying hotter. I want to try 275-300 next time, see what happens.

Before you waste any more money on brisket.... look up the "Night Train Brisket" Buy a cheap flat and do the night train exactly as shown. I see your picture and agree..... and others will know what I mean by this... I agree it is not mush. Great smoke ring by the way.

One last thing... once you are in the Hot and Fast zone it matters a GREATER deal as to what your equipment and technique are. For instance... on a 400 pound oyler with 1600 lbs of brisket in it I can do 300 w/o worrying about burning... maybe a little more.... On my weber... much lower. Cabinet guys have even more different results. On the Brazos I can only manage 270 for an average because my diverter plate gets do hot it will burn the meat. On my Meat mama, even if not on rotessirie... I can do as high as 325 but then have to park them at 250 after the stall.

Like someone said.... the pitmaster cooks in relation to his meat and conditions. IE... what effect does the equipment have on the meat.

Out of MY league! HAHA

Before you waste any more money on brisket.... look up the "Night Train Brisket" Buy a cheap flat and do the night train exactly as shown. I see your picture and agree..... and others will know what I mean by this... I agree it is not mush. Great smoke ring by the way.

thanks, Ill check into that. But Im getting Brisket for about $2.30 lb.
thats not bad.

I wonder how much the difference is, ill check that, and thanks.

Wow. Ive cooked brisket 10 hours many times and have never had "mush"! ever!

8039340405_3b53932178_z.jpg

a%3E

Looks really great to me.
You have it figured out, for sure!
I would not change a thing.

Great Job

TIM

Looks really great to me.
You have it figured out, for sure!
I would not change a thing.

Great Job

TIM

Thanks, but as we all know, the "problem" or "issue" I should say, is, not every brisket is the same! Sometimes things just dont work out the exact same way!. the piece i just pulled out an hour ago pales in comparison visually.

however (HA!) I did leave more (all) fat on this time (but scored it like i do a shoulder) and I tried someone elses rub recipe, since someone told me they thought (by looking at my meat) that I may use to much, and also too much sugar in my rub.
Im going back to what did in that photo! HAHA. (but i dont want to hijack this thread anymore than i just have)

Guess I'm lazy. I like to smoke at 275° to 300°.
Takes less time.

I've upped my smoking temperature from 225°, 250° range to 300°.

I get a better 'Crust' at a higher temp.
I'm a big fan of the outside meat...

Yeah it's as some wise dog butt says, 275º is the new 225º. I've become more of a "That's where my cooker likes to sit at, so that's where it'll sit." I'll prop the door open on my WSM if I'm cooking some poultry, but that's about all the extra effort I'm willing to put into messing with temps. I blame the skin.

350 for chicken in the UDS. 300 for everything else. 275 is also low as I ever go on anything.

Back