In-N-Out smashburger clarification, please?

food4thot

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Erik, E
Heard people rave about them. Never tried an In-N-Out burger. Saw this article and still not clear on what defines "animal style".

The Secret Ingredient to Fast Food-Style Smash Burgers (Psst—You Already Have It)

Are all In-N-Out burgers cooked with yellow mustard on one side, or only if you order it animal style? Animal style includes a variation of Thousand Island dressing?

The idea of cooking the burger with mustard on one side intrigues me. Might even buy the flat top griddle for the Woodfire grill.

Only animal style gets cooked with mustard. I've done it plenty of times at home. Youll like it

K6xnnprh.jpg

mjYpjEXh.jpg

SUQLbPLh.jpg

Only animal style gets cooked with mustard. I've done it plenty of times at home. Youll like it

K6xnnprh.jpg

mjYpjEXh.jpg

SUQLbPLh.jpg

The beauty is in the build with in and out. Lettuce on the bottom, tomato on top of that. That keeps the tomato from getting your bread soggy.

Then, Patty, onion and then Patty. That builds well keep things from sliding out.

Seems fitting. Looks like you gotta scrub that blackstone like an "animal" to get it clean.

Last edited:
The beauty is in the build with in and out. Lettuce on the bottom, tomato on top of that. That keeps the tomato from getting your bread soggy.

Then, Patty, onion and then Patty. That builds well keep things from sliding out.

That’s must be out and in or the in n out in the twilight zone.

Heard people rave about them. Never tried an In-N-Out burger. Saw this article and still not clear on what defines "animal style".

The Secret Ingredient to Fast Food-Style Smash Burgers (Psst—You Already Have It)

Are all In-N-Out burgers cooked with yellow mustard on one side, or only if you order it animal style? Animal style includes a variation of Thousand Island dressing?

The idea of cooking the burger with mustard on one side intrigues me. Might even buy the flat top griddle for the Woodfire grill.

Yeah non animal style burgers aren’t seared on one side with mustard. The mustard trick is really good I’ve tried it at home.

Do you flip and sear the mustard side also?
I believe so. Something I'm definitely going to try. Gonna add my own wrinkle to it mixing some finely diced onion in with the burger meat.

I believe so. Something I'm definitely going to try. Gonna add my own wrinkle to it mixing some finely diced onion in with the burger meat.

Animal style comes with caramelized onions and extra pickles, secret sauce. You gotta do their caramelized onions. Takes about 45 mins but well worth it.

Last time I did it was for a July 4th party and everyone went nuts. Fresh ground beef and freshest ingredients are key. The InNOut way. :clap2:

6oQ7lNjh.png

cvrsKBWh.png

twB1KsOh.png

uTj9HPSh.png

vN15hafh.png

Most of my hamburger life has been burger on the bun then toppings...condiments (mustard, mayo, 1000 island...hold the ketchup) applied to the top half of the bun. Coming to realize I've been doing it wrong most of the time.

A large leaf of romaine or iceberg should go on the bottom of the bun first, too help prevent sogginess. The bun itself is important...not too spongy, not too dense. Hope someone at Five Guys is reading this because their buns are chit...fall apart halfway through eating one.

Back