Hot n Fast vs regular low n slow

Preference: Hot n Fast vs Low n Slow

• Hot n Fast

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Low n Slow

Votes: 44 60.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I am feeding a bunch of mouths, then hot and fast. For myself, low and slow. Enjoy the pace and to me, I think it is more tender.

Since I started H&F a few yrs ago the quality of my "Q" has only gotten better. L&S for me is 275 I generally find 300 to be the optimum temp for everything but poultry then it is 325-350.

For Me After being here for a bit and trying almost everything I ve read ..I gotta go with Bludawg on temps !

Both styles of cooking work equally well. I use them both at my discretion. Main difference I've noticed is with L&S, you never know how long the stall will last. The 1st H&F butt I did plowed right through the stall. Never slowed down. And it was the best butt I ever had!

If its a beautiful day and I'm not on any kind of time frame, I might be more likely to go L&S.

I agree.

Why box yourself into either side ?

Adapt to your cooker, fuel, meat, time availability etc.

Both work, but the determining factor is your skill at how you go about working it.

I do pork shoulders at 250F, pork ribs at 275F and chicken at 300+.

My first briskets were low and slow (225F) and the results were mediocre. I tried HH (325F) this year and it came out great.

Maybe, with experience, I'm just cooking better. :confused:

Bob

A little secret.. pork products like ribs and butts turn out better cooked hot n fast in the 275 to 325 range than cooked in the warming to death temp range (210-240). But a lean pork loin cooks more even done low n slow with a reverse sear at the end. But loins are constantly destroyed here according to me, so what to I know.

Slow smoking lean beef like prime rib gets a more even cook going low n slow.

Poultry, minimum 325. Everything is different

The leaner the cut, the lower the temp for me. Fat, to me, acts as a buffer against drying out the meat at a higher temperature. Skin-on also permits a higher heat. A rub with sugar requires lower heat, in my experience.

I wonder, I always cook brisket between 225-250. Now, i just poked my 10lb brisket (after 8-9 hours on my WSM) and its perfectly tender, what I want, but at only 178 degrees, so i wrapped in foil and put back on, ill wait for it to hit 185-190 and then let it rest (ya think?) So the question: I noticed some red juice come out when I poked, not running clear yet. Would you expect that? What happens when you cook Hot? do you run clear sooner? maybe the question is meaningless, but I was wondering what characteristics one can expect trying hotter. I want to try 275-300 next time, see what happens.

I cook my briskets around 300. Even at comps. I cook unwrapped for two hours and then wrap it till it's tender. Very rarely does the cook time exceed 5 to six hours, total. Any more than that and it's mush.

A more specific poll was done.

View Poll Results: What is your average TARGET cooking temp for Brisket. NOT INTERNAL, the house temp

180-200 For total smoking NOT ring set
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
clear.gif
11%
225-240
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
clear.gif
23%
250 to 325
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
clear.gif
52%
330-350
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
clear.gif
56.%
355 to - anything below 425 BLAZING SPEEDS
bar6-l.gif
bar6.gif
bar6-r.gif
clear.gif

Voters: 81. This poll is closed

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85692&highlight=brisket

Once again the degrees removed from the parameters were done so that people would be forced to choose. EG. A guy should not be able to chose Low and Slow at 244 degrees while another guy can chose Hot and Fast at 245 so that was why I did it the way I did. The overwhelming response was between 250 and 325.

At the time VERY few people had the courage to go above 300 but this depends a lot on equipment. There are more of them now and while I am NOT the only one or first one to do hot in fast, I will take the credit for being ONE of IMPORTANT the ones (yes, among a few) that promoted it to the extent people learning about it on the internet would try it for themselves.

I think I made a poll for ribs.... it was even more heavily in the Hot and Fast Range. I don't know where that is. We will prbably never aggree where Hot and fast starts and low and slow ends. Some say my range anywhere below 325 is still low and slow.So... being that I am the arbitor of all things funky and the Sultan of Seduction through Hot and Fast, I set the line arbitrarily where it will always stay. I hate like hell to use 250 and up but there is a reason... in which I have written ad nauseum. If you are not already sick to your stomach.

Count me in the hot 'n fast camp. Been very happy with my results since I've switched.

Last edited:
One last thing... once you are in the Hot and Fast zone it matters a GREATER deal as to what your equipment and technique are. For instance... on a 400 pound oyler with 1600 lbs of brisket in it I can do 300 w/o worrying about burning... maybe a little more.... On my weber... much lower. Cabinet guys have even more different results. On the Brazos I can only manage 270 for an average because my diverter plate gets do hot it will burn the meat. On my Meat mama, even if not on rotessirie... I can do as high as 325 but then have to park them at 250 after the stall.

Like someone said.... the pitmaster cooks in relation to his meat and conditions. IE... what effect does the equipment have on the meat.

Back