Horse meat: Yes or No - POLL

Would you eat horse meat?

• Yes

Votes: 154 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 101 39.6%

• Total voters
It was also eaten quite a bit during WWII, Antony Bordain or Andew Zimmern had a TV snippet on the subject a while back. If I remember the show correctly, it was in Vence, Italy and there was horse and donkey in the display case.

I'd try it....

RMR

Wasnt there a time not to long ago that if you ate at Mcdonalds you were eating kangaroo meat mix in with the beef for burgers. Down south they eat swamp rat [ nutria ]. So I see nothing wrong with horse meat

We had nutria all over the Port Arthur area. We shot them (perfectly legal and encouraged) but I don't know anyone who ever ate them. I would suspect that very few people do.

On-topic, I'd give horse a try at least once.

CD

I have eaten horse meat in Germany right after the war. (ww2)Not much if any meat available in all the country. However a lot of the horses became available for slaughter since they were no longer needed for the war efforts.

I am certain that many of you folks have heard of a German dish called
"Sauer Braten". Translated it means a sauer roast. Since horse meat on its own is a sweet meat, the need to somewhat change its taste and make it more palatable,it was marinated for up to a week in a mixture of vinegar , water,onion salt, peppercorn and bay leaf.

The meat was roasted and some of the marinade was used to make a gravy.
Potato dumplings about 1 1/2" to 2" rounded out the dish.

I voted yes.

I use to work at a dog food plant and I inspected the horse meat that came to the plant from Mexico. They put charcoal in the boxes with the meat so that it was not for human consumption. However, there were a couple of workers that use to take a slab or two home once in while. I only worked there for a year and a half, but nobody died while I was there.:shock:

I've eaten brains, tongue, eyeballs, liver, kidneys, heart, intestines, and probably dog (long story short, a place in Juarez, Mexico that we would buy barbacoa from on a regular basis, well, one time a co-worker found a 'claw' in the meat, looked a lot like a dog's claw, just saying.) Later, read in the Juarez newspaper that the place had been shut down.................HORSE, but of course. I'd try it.:deadhorse:

I've wanted to eat horse for awhile now. I heard because it's a "working" animal and so lean the meat is sinewy and not very tasty but I'd like to see for myself. I didn't know it was illegal for private farms to butcher their own horses - interesting.

I ate horse when I was a kid. Don't remember the taste though.

Ill give it a try if its good its good. Wonder if it will be less expensive then beef.

I ate musk rat before. Those damn NJ pineys served them up to me. Drunk I thought they were blow fish or something. Blowfish dont have little legs.

I would eat horse, I would eat dog, I would eat cat I would eat rabbit I would eat guinea pig.

How bout a horse stuffed with a dog stuffed with cat stuffed with a rabbit stuffed with guinea pig. It would be a Hordogcabitpig. MMMMM

For those interested in trying dog. http://www.puppybeef.com/

I probably have already and didn't know it......

Eat Or Be Eaten, wasn't that the Law of Survival in the not so Distant Past......

I voted No.

I have no ethical reason against it. I just don't expect it to taste better than beef, so why waste my time? I would probably be willing to try it. I've eaten Kangaroo (good!) and some other wacky animals, so why not.

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.....

.....There was an old lady who swallowed a horse -
She's dead, of course.

yes I would but only if smoked with Pecan, mesquite, and cherry...

All joking aside here is what I saw in the news today.

http://www.petside.com/article/horse-slaughter-ban-lifted-horse-meat-may-be-coming-soon

its about they lifted the ban on horse buctering in the USA today. President Obama promised in 2008 that he would never lift the ban, but to get money to see the US thru mid Dec. he agreed to lift it.. Strange things these politions will do to get money from some big usinesses... Not that It really bothers me one way or another.. but I was hoping some day to ger one tio keep at least one promise.. Oh well back to reading and learning and well havin fun.
Uncle T

I voted yes. I would at least try it, heck, I'd probably like it. If it has horns or hooves, it's what's for dinner:thumb:

Seems like Brother Noskos made it as well... http://www.bbq-nl.com/2010/03/paardenbiefstuk.html

mr.ed2_-500x375.jpg

mr.ed7_-500x375.jpg

Yes

Years ago I'd buy cans of premium dog food, and the big chunks of horse meat looked and smelled delicious. I never did succumb to temptation, but I did wonder why I was feeding the dogs stuff that looked better than what I was eating.

I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to order an equine steak, but I have eaten horse in Italy. No, it did not taste like chicken! :mrgreen:

Back