Holiday Prime Rib Roll Call

This is the great thing about this forum..education. :eek:After going back through this thread and reading the temps, checking the pics. I noticed that my out side was not near as crusty or dark. When I cooked mine I did not flip at all, this I feel was a mistake, next time will put fat cap down for 30 min or so then flip to fat cap up. Thanks brothers your posting and pics are improving my Q:icon_bigsmil

This is the great thing about this forum..education. :eek:After going back through this thread and reading the temps, checking the pics. I noticed that my out side was not near as crusty or dark. When I cooked mine I did not flip at all, this I feel was a mistake, next time will put fat cap down for 30 min or so then flip to fat cap up. Thanks brothers your posting and pics are improving my Q:icon_bigsmil

That's exactly what I did. Worked great.

Gotta add my poundage to the running total...did a 22-lber yesterday using Poobah's formula. It was fantastic!! Neighbor's parents were in from Jacksonville, so they made some mac and cheese, greens, squash, cornbread, and warm tater salad...love that southern cooking! Also deep fried a 13-lb gobbler. Man, what a feast! Funny thing is, the biggest hit was the ribs from the roast...they didn't stand a chance!!

I did a rib roast for Christmas. One great lesson learned is make sure your thermometers are accurate. It seems mine was off by about 10 degrees so it overcooked a bit too much to my liking. For my family that likes meat a little well done, they were quite happy. I also smoked a turkey and all was served with my usual family favorite sides.
2138246123_12c0f95b76.jpg

I really like the color of all your guys PR's, mine tasted great, but didn't get the color I wanted, I had to "roast" it on the weber for a little while.
Nice job guys and gals!

Paul, that looks PHENOMENAL!!!

Can you share what temp you took it off at, and how long it rested? Any more details appreciated. Man, that's the best looking roast I've ever seen.

Actually drooling here.

Thanks. I cooked one a week for the last month as practice for the Christmas dinner. Thankfully, I really like PR so I'm not yet tired of it. I'm still working on the flavors but the color, tenderness, and texture was exactly what I wanted.

This particular loin end roast was cooked at 190F to an internal of 127F. I tented in foil for just over an hour and then re-heated at 500F for 5-10 minutes. The only reason it was foiled so long was that it finished long before I expected and we were not ready to eat.

The reason I cook it at such a low temp is that I want that consistent pink color from the very edge to the very center and the low cooking temp is the only way I know to achieve it. The internal temp ranged from 126F to 128F depending on where probed so I think the theory works.

I did a whole naturally rasied prime rib yesterday and it was the best I ever made. Beef was from Copperridge farms (I think) and was rubbed with coarse sea salt and cracked pepper. I ended up on the smoker last minute as the oven was full and the gasser was dead. Small bed of natural charcoal under the meat (2 small chimeys) and put on at 325 or so fat cap up to start then went to the side chamber with mesquite and kept it at 275 until it hit just past 125. Covered with foil and let rest for 20 minutes. Served with a straight reduction of Pinot Noir with fresh herbs and black pepper.

You SOB's are going to cost me about $50. I was just going to smoke a brisket this weekend but after seeing this, based on the drool on my desk it looks like I'll be smoking a prime rib.

Or anyone know where I can go get a clod in the KC metro? I wouldn't mind smoking the entire beef shoulder. I've heard that's some darn fine eatin too.

http://www.bbqlodge.com/bshldr/bshldr.htm

Great thread and even greater results everyone. I have an 8# choice prime rib going on for this saturday. Instead of doing it on the WSM, I might try doing it on the Weber Kettle.

It's pretty impressive .... 1) the number of prime rib cooks this holiday and 2) the number of first time prime rib cooks that came out so good and 3) the variety of cookers that were used.

I really like the color of all your guys PR's, mine tasted great, but didn't get the color I wanted, I had to "roast" it on the weber for a little while.
Nice job guys and gals!

How long did that drip pan stay in the drum? And what did you decide with the ribs, cut before or after?

It's pretty impressive .... 1) the number of prime rib cooks this holiday and 2) the number of first time prime rib cooks that came out so good and 3) the variety of cookers that were used.

How long did that drip pan stay in the drum? And what did you decide with the ribs, cut before or after?

No kidding Sounds like everyones roast came out great even if improvements could be made!

I'd also Like to hear the consensus on removing ribs before or after cook:?:

Sometimes I amaze myself...

Prime rib burritos, anyone?
IMGP0129.jpg

A little 3 pepper cheese, some habanero salsa, and whole wheat tortilla, an voila. The beauty is that it cut the salty taste of the meat between the cheese and the salsa...

You SOB's are going to cost me about $50. I was just going to smoke a brisket this weekend but after seeing this, based on the drool on my desk it looks like I'll be smoking a prime rib.

Thats the same thing I said, I got the butcher to cut me one in the 40.00 range...my wife would have killed me if I came home with one over 50.00!
But you know, she's enjoying it so much, I think I could have gotten a bigger one!:p

Now that's a burrito!!! Do you think Taco Bell will be doing those soon?

Somehow I don't think so! I'm actually anxious to make another roast just to make a pile of these for a party. Doesn't matter whose party, any party. I'm sorta glad I didn't get the larger tortillas, that'd be a monster! A lovely, tender monster that melts in ... waitaminute, this isn't the Woodpile!

I can't beleive that NONE of you guys even mentioned the BEST part of a Prime Rib dinner!!!
Where is your Yorkshire Pudding????
It ain't a traditional Prime Rib without the Yorkshire Pudding.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merry Christmas to you ALL.
Funny you mention yorkshire pudding, as I asked about it on another thread!:evil: We did find a recipe on the web, but managed to burn the bottom a little. However, the meat was wonderful, and went great with the yorkshire pudding. I wonder what took me so long to try this???

I first want to thank all the brothers that gave me ideas and help on doing my 1st Prime Rib.

This was a 8 pound tied prime

Rubbed with a generous amount of Worchester Sauce
I then lightly rubbed with my brisket rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning, and fresh Thyme
Put the usual aeromatics in the pan (onion, garlic, carrot, celery)
I cooked it in my WSM at 350 degrees in the pan. It took about 2 hours maybe 2.5 hours. Ibrought it up to 125 internal and foiled tented it for about 3 minutes. It was a nice rare and it was perfect for me. I ended up putting slices in the oven for a bit for people who wanted it done to a higher temp.

I was pleased with how it came out, and so was everyone else. The leftovers were gone the next day in sandwiches.

2147149802_53d66505b7.jpg

Someone needs to get their arse kicked for posting that burrito :wink: That looks wonderful.

Folks at work were none too happy with me when I brought the last of it in to make burritos for lunch this past week. I brought pulled pork for the holiday party, I've got some political equity banked at this point...

We marinated this one for about a full day (24 hours) with mustard, wooster, soy, garlic, etc....And then it was cooked hot over cherry-- around 350-375. I didn't have a probe checking temp there-- top shelf close to the firebox. We pulled it when it was 120 and let it rest loosely tented for about 1/2 hour.
Prime_Rib_sm.jpg

Oh! This was New Year's dinner....we had shrimp and asparagus with white wine, garlic and shallots for an app....can't see the aspagrass in this picture, but it was there.....
Shrimp_garlic_sm.jpg

Back