Hog Roast for 300+

A little ticked off tonight, butcher messed up my order. I wanted head and skin on, just like last time. It will still taste great just won't have the presentation that I wanted.

Here is the 123lb hog on ice, I could easily fit 3 this size in the tub I bought to transport it. I have some ice in the bottom of the tub, the hog is wrapped in plastic, then ice bags all over the hog. Next I cover with another piece of plastic and two sleeping bags. Very little melting has taken place in 6 hours.
picture.php

With the butchering goof up, I think I might try a new cooking technique which I don't like to do for a cook of this importance but it could turn out that I like cooking hogs this way. I am going to sleep on it, but I am think about cooking this one butterfly style. If I end up liking this method then I could cook at least 2 this size in the beast, and maybe 3 if I cut one hog in half.

We are off and running. The forecast this morning said there was a good chance of rain tonight, so I went ahead and brought the cooker over early and got my canopy setup, glad I did because it is just absolutely pouring here right now. Cooker is coming up to temp, ribs go on at 6. Pictures to follow.

We are off and running. The forecast this morning said there was a good chance of rain tonight, so I went ahead and brought the cooker over early and got my canopy setup, glad I did because it is just absolutely pouring here right now. Cooker is coming up to temp, ribs go on at 6. Pictures to follow.

xmv1bt.gif

:grin:

Hog seasoned and ready for the pit, I decided to stay with the original cooking method.
picture.php

Hog on the pit, still plenty of room for butts and a brisket, which was a last minute request from a coworker.
picture.php

Small fryer, that I am using to boil water to cook the pasta for my pasta salad. Works really well.
picture.php

picture.php

And finally a picture of dinner. Some baby backs, pig candy and tater tot hot dish cooked in the smoker.
picture.php

Back