Hmm...I think I'm going to need a bigger vortex

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I currently own a "medium" size Vortex and have used it on my 22" kettle with great success. But it's uh....a little small for the Ranch. They make a "large" version which is marginally bigger but I'm not sure even that's going to be enough? May have to start doing multiple charcoal piles or something...next time I will take temp readings of "closer" to the Vortex and then another more towards the outer perimeter and see how big of a temperature difference there will be.

Anyhow, maiden voyage for lunch on the Ranch kettle. Didn't have any fatties laying around but I did at least grind the pork and stuff the brats myself. Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chili Lime on the wings. They were gud. :clap2:

I had two of the brats closer to the center with the 3rd slightly behind them a few inches for a while and could tell it cooked slower. The charcoal also seemed to burn a good bit faster, not surprising given the amount of metal and air it was heating. This one doesn't have a dome thermometer so I'm not really sure what it was cooking at. I'll get more scientific next time....this time was just a quick lunch.

Need extra large for the Ranch. I tried with the large, which I use on my 26, but it just barely makes it through an entire wing cook of several dozen on the Ranch. The RK grate will balance just a little on the x large vortex, but it works great. Used it like crazy this weekend - wide side up for 4 half pans of beans, then small side up for blasing wings and chix. Very handy to have. Fun to reach across at full heat, too! :doh:

I would recommend two or three vortex for RK if wanting to utilize the whole RK.

I have a used once Ranch I would like to sell for $600. Has been dropped so has slight rim rash. Can deliver to Kansas City next week.

Robert

Nice...I didnt even realize they had an XL version...I will have to check that out.

Edit....looking at this I only see large? It mentions that there may be slight clearance issues even on 26" kettles.

https://vortexbbq.com/which-size/

Yeah my mistake - sorry 'bout that! :oops: I just went and looked it up & realized I didn't really pay attention to what the sizes were called. I guess I just assumed anything WRK-related would be "extra".

I have a medium I use on the 26 and a large for the WRK. The large definitely gets 'er done for the WRK. The grate balances a little, but it really isn't an issue IMO. As to putting the large in a 26 - I'm guessing that'd get some crispy wings right quick! :shocked:

I would recommend two or three vortex for RK if wanting to utilize the whole RK.

I have a used once Ranch I would like to sell for $600. Has been dropped so has slight rim rash. Can deliver to Kansas City next week.

Robert

I'll bet you could unload that pretty quickly if you put it up in the "for sale" section - a good deal on a Ranch Kettle is a beautiful thang to many a Brethren:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Back